Secrets Under Our City

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

LONGINUS
barnacle

Secrets Under Our City

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:21 pm

I was doing an underground tour of Central Station with an Engineer yesterday and he showed me some of the tunnels where work commenced but funding was pulled or change of government cancelled them. He showed me the start of the Northern Beaches Tunnel. I couldnt believe it - never knew it even existed. It went for about 100 metres, a huge cathedral of sandstone with the beginnings of mosaic tiling similar to what you have at the 1940's New York styled stations such as St James and then it ends abruptly in a dead end.

There were even a few empty semi smashed stoneware Ginger Beer Jars from a little company called Tooths and co. down there. I guess it was the last shift on a cancelled project sharing a few on the final smoko.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Re: Secrets Under Our City

Post by TMC » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:01 pm

http://www.sydneycaveclan.org/

Been out with these guys once and it's pretty full on.

Also for detailed information on tunnells, drains, old power stations etc. check out http://www.bunkerboyz.org/Australia.htm

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:01 pm

Aweome Iggz, is that the tunnel chain that leads to the drain the boogie boarders jump out of on the Bra Boyz film?

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:27 pm

iggy wrote:i'd love to drop some strong acid and freak myself out by walking through the alledgedly haunted Picton Tunnel or hang out in Jubilee Park Annandale at that gruesome bloodbath repeat murder scene near the rail viaduct
Iggs what this about some repeat bloodbath murder scene?!?!?!?!

I play footy there on monday nights, and i'm usually the last one to leave :roll:

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:41 pm

There used to be the start of a tunnel to nowhere just north of North Sydney station. It was the beginning of the northern beaches line.

Thank Bunta they ran out of money (or will).

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:51 pm

There's a disused (or never used) tunnel at Wynyard, too. You access it from the underground car park. Couple of guys I know set up a car servicing/ tyres service business in there some years ago.

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:52 pm

TrevG wrote:There's a disused (or never used) tunnel at Wynyard, too. You access it from the underground car park. Couple of guys I know set up a car servicing/ tyres service business in there some years ago.
It was also used as the Jamieson's carpark.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:57 pm

It's sort of under our City....Have you been through the Bare Island fort.
Plenty of history there and some good stories as well.
Like the cannon which went missing from the room the retired diggers wanted as a pool room. It was too big to get out but they removed it. Took a while to find it. They simply dug down and buried it where it was.
Might be an urban myth but a great story all the same.

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:58 pm

... and don't forget the pirate tunnel at Queensie. Fathers have been making up stories about it to scare their kids for generations.

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:04 pm

TrevG wrote:It's sort of under our City....Have you been through the Bare Island fort.
Like the cannon which went missing from the room the retired diggers wanted as a pool room. It was too big to get out but they removed it. Took a while to find it. They simply dug down and buried it where it was.
I haven't been thru' the Bare Island Fort but I have been thru' the Bradley's Head and Middle Head emplacements. Pinchgut (Fort Dennison)is a good trip too.

There is a tour you can do thru' the city tunnels. I think it is run by Sydney City Council. I've heard it is a hoot.

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:12 pm

iggy wrote: i'd love to drop some strong acid and freak myself out by walking through the alledgedly haunted Picton Tunnel or hang out in Jubilee Park Annandale at that gruesome bloodbath repeat murder scene near the rail viaduct
your senses go mad on a good dose of acid so you might be able to tap into some otherworld funk :lol: :oops:
Rookwood, Gore Hill and even Manly Cemetery were always good on acid.

The Quarantine Station was a special back in the nights when only the caretaker was there.

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:08 pm

I did the tour of the St James railway tunnels a few years ago.... very interesting. The tunnels were modified in WW2 in case they were needed as bomb shelters, and there is graffiti from the soldiers who built the blast walls inside the tunnels. Well worth a look, but they have put tours on hold... probably some ridiculous fear of "terrorists" scoping the place...

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:31 pm

bookster wrote:I did the tour of the St James railway tunnels a few years ago.... very interesting. The tunnels were modified in WW2 in case they were needed as bomb shelters, and there is graffiti from the soldiers who built the blast walls inside the tunnels. Well worth a look, but they have put tours on hold... probably some ridiculous fear of "terrorists" scoping the place...
McArthur's WWll headquarters was in the basement of the old AWA building in York Street. I think it may still be there. Should be an historical site!

heefcoate
Local

Post by heefcoate » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:37 pm

there are heeps in newcastle too they made them during WW2. been in a couple, few years back an underground pool was revealed in the paper right under the heart of the city

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:22 am

iggy wrote:^^^ here's a pic i took of the la perouse bunkers about 18 months ago

got dragged there by this girl i briefly dated who grew up around Malabar (she turned out to be a gronk, but that's another story :lol:)
Cough cough. Is that where YOU took her Hannibal Lecter?

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:18 am

there are some great tunnels under sydney. the sydney sandstone is beautiful. so much fun to explore.

there was an electronic music gig in the st james tunnel about 1982 or 1983 that i went to. maybe SPK or the dead travel fast, loop orchestra were playing.
later on in the 80s i remember some people tried to put on a dance party there, but they were busted while setting up the sound system.

i've been to and thrown a few parties out at the la perouse bunkers. recently, some wankers who seem to put parties on as stunts to attract attention made a bit of trouble at la perouse.

used to skate in the tunnel that runs along under oxford st. get in around paddo town hall. very nice and clean that one.
my dad introduced me to the tunnels under south head/the footy fields. they seem to be all blocked up now days. one door looks like it only needs 15 minutes with a hacksaw...

two nice tunnels on cockatoo island.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:26 am

Felix wrote:
TrevG wrote:It's sort of under our City....Have you been through the Bare Island fort.
I haven't been thru' the Bare Island Fort but I have been thru' the Bradley's Head and Middle Head emplacements. Pinchgut (Fort Dennison)is a good trip too.

There is a tour you can do thru' the city tunnels. I think it is run by Sydney City Council. I've heard it is a hoot.
I've been through the Bare Island & Middle head forts.

The latter was where parts of the '70's bikie movie "Stone" was filmed.
When I visited it in the '80's I discovered to my horror it is also a gay pickup area (probably something to do with it being near the army barracks). :shock:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:56 pm

chrisb wrote:
Felix wrote:

I've been through the Bare Island & Middle head forts.

The latter was where parts of the '70's bikie movie "Stone" was filmed.
When I visited it in the '80's I discovered to my horror it is also a gay pickup area (probably something to do with it being near the army barracks). :shock:
Stone! Great movie.
And a couple of years ago I did a kayak tour of Sydney Harbour and the guide told us the same thing about the Middle head fort - said it's apparently also full of various "restraints" :oops: