Out of the way "granny"

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Clif
barnacle

Out of the way "granny"

Post by Clif » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:47 am

http://www.surfingthemag.com/news/surfi ... ew-112208/

Well, it seems there are a few angry old chooks and roosters on the women's world tour:

Coco Ho, young Hawaiian ripper (17 yo), dropped in on and faded Layne Beachley (old) at some pro contest. It all went down as Layne caught a wave just before the final whistle, needing only a 6.88 to win. Coco is said to have been helping out her mate Carissa Moore (17 yo) who was in the lead at the time. Layne didn't get the score and Coco was eliminate from the final. The ASP plan to take disciplinary action.

WTF?

Sorry, you lose Granny. Suck it up. (ASP are reviewing their rules to prevent this in future).

I reckon they should give the girls swords, ninja stars, swinging studded maces to belt each other over the head as they try to pull in, gimp masks to hide their identities, and waterproof chainsaws to let all hell loose in the lineup.

Now THAT would be a contest (male or female) worth all the hulabaloo

:twisted:

I bet she was dropped in on because of the statue. I see a conspiracy brewing.

Cookie
regular

Post by Cookie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:09 am

Gee,

Hawaiians not playing fair on their home turf? Who would believe it!

Does sound like a pretty lame thing to do though.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:43 am

Hawaiian Blocking Tactics!

Whether it's the end of year rush for points or Polynesian Revenge it's gone on for a while. If my memory serves me correctly Kong would've been world champ had he not been a victim of similar tactics. NC may remember the incident better than I. Think TC was even in the same heat.

And Slater got blocked a couple of years back at the Pipe Masters under similar circumstances. Think it was Phil Macca or Parko who stuffed him and allowed AI to capture the world title. Hmmm...I really should research this stuff before putting it up here.

Anyway, it's not like Layne hasn't employed teamwork when it's suited her. Anyone remember the walkie-talkie incident at J-Bay?

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:16 am

BURN THE B*TCH

A New Film From John Millius - Director of Big Wednesday

Ace director Milius has come up with a film for today's surf world: an inside look at the violence and drama of women's pro surfing. See hot chicks rip! See bikini babes swing into turns - and swing at each other! Hungry for success, they battle over waves, beach turf ... and men! A trophy isn't the only thing they want touching their lips after the contest. And they'll push, shove and drop in to get it. See the cat fights in skimpy swim suits. Keen and cruel - they're taking the surf world by the balls!

(sexist crap- but could be a big earner)

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:10 am

Coco Ho would go
Paddle in or tow
Wands its time you know
A picture you must show

:shock:
Last edited by Yuke Hunt on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:39 am

2nd Reef wrote:..............Hmmm...I really should research this stuff before putting it up here.

Anyway, it's not like Layne hasn't employed teamwork when it's suited her. Anyone remember the walkie-talkie incident at J-Bay?
Nah, stuff the research 2nd reef, just throw 'em out there and see if anyone bites.

Don't know about the walkie talkie incident, you might have to throw some more unsubstantiated rumour out there. Get busy. :wink:

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:05 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:07 am

Overreaction of the Century.

I guess the ASP has to nip this sort of thing in the bud before the competitors actually reach voting age. Ya don't want these 17 year old chicks running wild all over the ratings now do ya.

See full press release from the ASP below:

For Immediate Release

Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) International

------------------------------------------------------------

ASP Athlete Rules and Discipline Committee

ASP Athlete Rules and Discipline Committee Passes Coco Ho Decision

SUNSET BEACH, Hawaii (Monday, November 24, 2008) ˆ The ASP Athlete Rules & Discipline Committee announced today that the Coco Ho drop-in/interference incident, which occurred Thursday, November 20, 2008, at the Reef Hawaiian Pro in Haleiwa, Oahu, has been resolved.

After conducting numerous interviews and reviewing written accounts of the incident prepared by spectators, athletes, ASP Judges, and other officials, and after carefully reviewing videotape of the incident and subsequent press accounts from the involved athletes, ASP Rules Judge Robert Gerard has determined that the incident was not only unfortunate, but should not have occurred.

That having been said, Gerard's ruling involves no monetary fine for Coco Ho, but rather involved a lengthy counseling session and orientation to the rules and the protocol of expected sportsmanlike behavior during ASP events. Robert emphasized that Ho was not only 100% cooperative and professional during the course of his investigation, but is nothing short of "heartbroken" over the incident and the subsequent controversy. Gerard also received detailed input from the ASP Technical Committee during his investigation.

According to Gerard, „Coco is a fine young athlete and person and as a result of my investigation, notwithstanding the countless opinions being thrown about in the surf media and blogs, I am completely satisfied that this incident was the result of over-zealousness in the dying moments of a Final heat by a 17-year-old competitor who was simply trying to get a score and qualify for the ASP Women‚s World Tour. I could go on in great detail about what was going on in Coco‚s mind at the time of drop-in/interference, but I am convinced that it was not directed toward harming Layne Beachley‚s efforts to secure a win.‰

Gerard added that the incident was particularly unfortunate in that Layne has been an outstanding seven-time ASP Women‚s World Champion, and has been one the finest female athletes to grace the sport. Since this is her retirement year, to be deprived of the opportunity to win an event in an exciting clutch situation is surely a major disappointment to Layne. Having reviewed the videotape of the heat, Gerard did agree that the wave in question presented Layne an opportunity to attain the score of 6.83 she needed to win the event. True to her level of professionalism, Layne chose not to weigh in during the investigation, but rather to accept Ho's apology and to focus on the upcoming Roxy Pro at Sunset Beach, which is set to start tomorrow.

As for the winner of the heat and the event, Carissa Moore, Gerard concluded that Carissa had absolutely nothing to do with the incident and that Carissa should be proud of her win and of her ongoing success in the sport. "Carissa and her dad Chris contributed to my investigation in the professional fashion that I expect of all ASP athletes."

During the investigation Gerard did learn from several sources that many young surfers are being trained to „go for broke‰ and get any wave possible if time is running low and they are behind in a heat without proper regard to the drop-in/interference rules. Gerard believes that strategy is potentially dangerous (particularly in large surf) and that it also does not fit within the spirit of the ASP's sportsmanship requirements.

Gerard will promptly work with the ASP Technical Committee to evaluate the ASP Rules regarding "intentional" drop-ins and interferences. Currently, the only ASP penalty for a drop-in/interference on another surfer is an interference call during the heat. The current penalty for a second drop-in/interference during a heat is removal from the heat and a five hundred dollar fine.

When asked about the applicability of the ASP's un-sportsmanlike conduct rule to the Ho situation, Gerard determined that it simply did not apply given Ho's state of mind. To determine that Ho that was in violation of that rule, Gerard would have had to determine that Ho thought through the entire scenario and purposely dropped in to help Carissa Moore seal the win.

According to Gerard, "despite various reports to the contrary, some of which misquote Ho, the facts simply did not bear out any such conclusion. Concluding that this was some sort of conspiracy between Ho and Moore is wrong and it does a great injustice to these two young athletes. Both Coco and Carissa are rising stars in the sport and they are both anxious to play by the rules. Moreover, as very gifted Hawaiian surfers they are also both keenly aware of the special role that Aloha plays as a foundational element of surfing."

For her part, Coco Ho states, "I feel so badly about this incident, especially since it involved Layne who I hold in such high regard and who has done so much for women's surfing. I have certainly learned a lot from this whole experience and I am stoked that the ASP did not just go by the rumors and the press, but worked with me and my coach and my family to make sure I got to apologize and use this as a learning tool. For me, I just want to look forward and be the best I can be and I want to do everyone proud including my family, my sponsors, Hawai'i, my country, and the sport."

The next stop on the ASP Women‚s World Tour is the Roxy Pro at Sunset Beach which could begin as early as tomorrow.

For more information, log onto www.aspworldtour.com

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:15 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:17 am

Toby wrote:In one of her heats Ken Bradshaw was hiding in the bushes calling Layne into set waves via a walkie-talkie/earpiece setup (apparently).
Indeed this occurred, at the 2000 event. Without KB or LB informing the ASP or any of the other competitors. Amazingly it didn't break any of the ASP rules, I think 'cause nobody had considered it might happen.

Pro surfing has a long and spectacular history of people pulling stunts on each other -- most of 'em are left out there in the water, many are done entirely within the rules. To me it's part of what makes pro surfing funny and interesting...after all what's more human, more fallible and vaguely touching, than trying to cheat? You could write a book.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:50 am

Toby wrote:In one of her heats Ken Bradshaw was hiding in the bushes calling Layne into set waves via a walkie-talkie/earpiece setup (apparently).
Thanks Toby, that is vaguely hilarious.

Did he wear a false moustache and dark glasses while he was doing it?

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:09 pm

Would Dooma's celebrated and much maligned duckdive/late take off apply in the rules of unsportsmanlike behaviour?

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:25 pm

Didnt someone soup up someones board before an event sometime in the past ... or something :? Im 99.9999999% sure it wasnt kelly slater

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:37 pm

Ringmaster wrote:
Revolution wrote:Didnt someone soup up someones board before an event sometime in the past ... or something :? Im 99.9999999% sure it wasnt kelly slater

What :?: :?: :?:

He sneakily installed a turbo charger on his opposition's board when the bloke wasn't looking or something :?: :?:

Slater's trickery knows no boundaries :shock:
I think it was cream of corn from memory?

Cookie
regular

Post by Cookie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:43 pm

True to her level of professionalism, Layne chose not to weigh in during the investigation

Layne Beachley wrote:
I know this kind of thing happens in Men's WQS events and the ASP has been discussing establishing a rule to prevent such deplorable and un-sporting actions. It disappoints me that it occurred in the final of a prime event, especially in my last year on tour. Imagine if it was the other way around and Coco needed to win and I dropped in on her? There are so many what-if's. I think she should be disciplined as the ASP sees fit. I think also the fact that Coco was the perpetrator has made it that much more shocking, because she is the last girl you would expect it from. Ultimately, I don't hassle girls because I respect my opponents. If they have the ability to catch a wave and out surf me then they deserve to win. This just demonstrated a lack of respect and immaturity.

They all saw it with their own eyes. I don't need to bring it to anyone's attention. It's disappointing that someone so talented and supported can stoop to such levels and destroy everything she has spent the last 17 years creating. The ASP and the whole women's tour are as disappointed as I am
Yeah Layne didn't weigh in much! during the investigation

:roll:

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:02 pm

In response to the Layne Beachley quote:

Would you describe that as Layne getting up on her SOUP BOX ?

And speaking of soup.....If you were eating soup at an alfresco restaurant in the rain.....it's fair to say it would take a while to finish.....

:roll:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:12 pm

Don't know anything about Coco Ho, but I did just catch a glimpse of the actual drop-in on a news report.

A pretty crucial time to perform what looked suspiciously like a blatant, pre-meditated drop-in.

The ASP spin merchants earned their money with that slippery little piece of justification.

Maybe it was all an accident, but as Hawaiians have a bit of form in this regard it isn't the first thing that comes to mind.

I think Layne is entitled to go off about that one.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:38 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.