Longboard Club needed!!! Help pls - SYD

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Jake_ddsn

Longboard Club needed!!! Help pls - SYD

Post by Jake_ddsn » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:59 pm

Hey All,

Im currently living @ Freshie on the Northern Beaches...and surf anywhere from Manly to North Curly, quite a bit. Ive always surfed shortboards but recently my old man gave me a relict Midget Farrelly Mal and im loving it. I really want to get into a Longboard club on the northern beaches, pref Freshie or Curly....

Does anyone know someone I can speak to about this?

Cheers

Jake

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:54 pm

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:40 pm

you just missed the freshie comp. it was on sun, even though it was almost flat, needed to run it.

my old man is the president.

come to the next one, its on the first sunday of the month.
be at the southern carpark (where Pilu is) at around 8ish. it'll be either free or $5 for your first time to see if you like it, then its around $60 to sign up and you get a t-shirt, and your name in the prize draw (we get heaps of prizes). there's a BBQ and very cheap beers/softies.

alternatively the north curly one is on the 3rd or last sunday of every month, but the 5 ways comp is on 26th so they might be having it this weekend.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:43 pm

Freshie Boy wrote:you just missed the freshie comp. it was on sun, even though it was almost flat, needed to run it.

be at the southern carpark (where Pilu is) at around 8ish. it'll be either free or $5 for your first time to see if you like it, then its around $60 to sign up and you get a t-shirt, and your name in the prize draw (we get heaps of prizes). there's a BBQ and very cheap beers/softies.

alternatively the north curly one is on the 3rd or last sunday of every month, but the 5 ways comp is on 26th so they might be having it this weekend.
where is the 5 ways this year?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:45 pm

further to Freshie’s comments… there are longboard clubs/comps at Manly, Freshy, Curly (Nth), Longy and Palmy. We try not to conflict with each others chosen day of the month.

And they all end in ‘Y’, why? :D

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:47 pm

WANDERER wrote: where is the 5 ways this year?
Back at Curly 26th I’m told, first attempt was canned due to lack…

edit: this month - october ^

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:50 pm

ric_vidal wrote:

aha!

I didn't get a phone call, probably because I'm not cashed into RR atm and haven't been to a club day for a while...
meh *shrug*

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:06 pm

WANDERER wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:

aha!

I didn't get a phone call, probably because I'm not cashed into RR atm and haven't been to a club day for a while...
meh *shrug*
Neither am I, nor have I competed since I don’t know when. Sure you would be welcome for the 5-way or any other.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:04 pm

When does the Longy club meet. I always think about it but am a bit slack when it comes to committment. :oops:

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:49 am

dont worry about the five ways, its totally sucked for the last 3 or 4 years, what with silly weight divisions, bic boards, all sorts of womens, boys and girls divisions, just to cater to MMBCs vast numbers of members and to make sure they'd win.

back when it was actually competitive it was your 15 best surfers, regardless of sex, age or weight. and funnily enough, Manly would lose every year. so when it came to their go, the rules suddenly changed and voila, manly have won it for the last few years in a row.

lame lame lame lame lame

the only thing its good for now is getting pissed afterwards and getting a t-shirt, its no indicator of which club is the strongest (which was why the contest was created0, merely which club can fill all the obscure divisions (which 3-4 out of 5 clubs can't)

/rant

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:00 am

Freshie Boy wrote:dont worry about the five ways, its totally sucked for the last 3 or 4 years, what with silly weight divisions, bic boards, all sorts of womens, boys and girls divisions, just to cater to MMBCs vast numbers of members and to make sure they'd win.

back when it was actually competitive it was your 15 best surfers, regardless of sex, age or weight. and funnily enough, Manly would lose every year. so when it came to their go, the rules suddenly changed and voila, manly have won it for the last few years in a row.

lame lame lame lame lame

the only thing its good for now is getting pissed afterwards and getting a t-shirt, its no indicator of which club is the strongest (which was why the contest was created0, merely which club can fill all the obscure divisions (which 3-4 out of 5 clubs can't)

/rant
and here i was thinking it was all about a bit of fun... obviously some clubs take it more seriously than others :lol: :lol:

Jake_ddsn

Post by Jake_ddsn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:01 am

Freshie Boy wrote:you just missed the freshie comp. it was on sun, even though it was almost flat, needed to run it.

Nice thanks mate. Im at a wedding on the 1st Sunday of Nov so will miss it again :( good thing is ill be @ Creso for the weekend :). Will def come at the next event though, would be good to get into some comps.

Cheers,

Jake

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:02 am

Spoon wrote:When does the Longy club meet. I always think about it but am a bit slack when it comes to committment. :oops:
Third sunday of the month... you'll know it's the third Sunday because it will be drizzley and overcast with a brisk SE'r blowing the top off the 1 foot wind slop at Longy... :lol:

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:33 am

WANDERER wrote:
Spoon wrote:When does the Longy club meet. I always think about it but am a bit slack when it comes to committment. :oops:
Third sunday of the month... you'll know it's the third Sunday because it will be drizzley and overcast with a brisk SE'r blowing the top off the 1 foot wind slop at Longy... :lol:
Spoon, it's on this Sunday - come down mate, it's a friendly, relaxed club and 'competition' comes second to having some fun (well, for me anyway as my enthusuasm tends to outstrip my ability).

I joined earlier this year (courtesy of a prod from wanderer :lol: ) and it's been great - wish I'd done it earlier to be honest.

Wanderer, c'mon, when there's swell we retreat 'round the corner to 'powderpuff point' too!!

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:47 am

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:52 pm

^^^ not a red shortboard in sight :D

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:29 pm

WANDERER wrote:and here i was thinking it was all about a bit of fun... obviously some clubs take it more seriously than others :lol: :lol:
well when it started it was a bit more serious. but i guess seeing the whole club scene has been diluted its no surprise

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:08 am

Freshie Boy wrote:the whole club scene has been diluted
Diluted by what, or whom exactly? Surely there's plenty of room for those who want to take it seriuosly, and those who're after a bit of a laugh and an escape.