If you could pack up and leave where would you go?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

dingoshred
regular

If you could pack up and leave where would you go?

Post by dingoshred » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:43 pm

Would love to do it for like a year.

Where would you go?

- Mancora (love the place) - but not sure if its the best place for someone who abuses substances a bit to much.
- Lakey
- or somewhere in CAm ...would be good to continue working on my spanish .

ANy other ideas.

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:26 pm

For me, I need to work up some money for this first, but I have narrowed two choices down. One is an extended kayak trip through the archipelagos and islands around the Scandinavian Peninsular. Couldn't keep that up for a year though, so I'd do it for a number of weeks in the best months and then head to Europe and potter around the countries on a scooter, following the backroads and countryside areas. This again wouldn't last more than a couple months at the most, but combined with the kayak trip could take up the better part of half a year and chew through some dough.

Money is the important thing in that part of the world. I've mentioned this elsewhere in this forum, but to cap it here, I am just coming off a 9 month vacation that included a couple months sitting on the beach in Aus, a few weeks driving down the East Coast before 6 months parked in France, plus plenty of travelling in France and a couple other countries. I quit my job before it and sold the vast bulk of my things so I wouldn't come back to the same situation if and when I returned, I wanted a new start. I'm back now and 40-something thousand lighter in the pocket for it and some good experiences in exchange. I want to spend a few yeas at uni building for another career and then another stay overseas like the one just past.

For you, I say go somewhere new but keep a plan b in reserve if you have reservations once you're there. Don't lock in to anywhere and follow your heart and head at the appropriate moments. Knowing Spanish helps you get by in a large region geographically so start there. My suggestion would be to ask Offshore1 for a good Spanish speaking island/s in his part of the world, somewhere in the Bahamas and Central America.
Last edited by Dingus on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:38 pm

Eden area south coast NSW.

Good surf, good hunting, good fishing, good sailing, good mob.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:02 pm

Is this with or without the wife :wink:
I wouldn't mind being up northern NSW for a lifestyle or seeing what Costa Rica was like.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:20 pm

Two places

Either a nice 15 acre plot down at Flinders or in the Otway Ranges (around Lavers Hill)

Either option means leaving work which means unless Mrs Hatchman picks the right lotto numbers I'm not going anywhere.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:30 pm

i would live on kamchatka and travel around by glider. live in a hut on the edge of a grassy plateau overlooking a rocky left point with oddly shaped islands offshore and hot air currents rising up from volcanic vents all around so i could glide for endless miles in search of surf. i guess i would have to give up being a vego for the year, but never mind. as well as fish and flightless birds, i'd eat lots of berries and mushrooms from the woods, and grow potatoes and carrots and beetroot in a patch and tomatoes and cucumbers in a greenhouse by the hut. there would be no internet connection, so i could read all the books i've been meaning to read all these years. i guess i'd have to leave my girl behind for a year, though - she couldn't stand the quiet and isolation. i'd grow a beard and let birds nest in it. i'd grow hops and brew beer. every now and then groups of mineralologists or nature-loving students from the university down in petropavlovsk-kamchatsky would pass by and i'd invite them in for some beetroot soup and boiled potatoes and grilled salmon, and we'd all get wasted on my homemade beer and their bottles of vodka and sing songs and dance the night away on the grassy plateau overlooking the long left point.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:34 pm

i think i'm going to continue this one in my dreams tonight, gliding around in search of surf under a full moon at midnight with one of those tall blonde students wrapping her arms around me...

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:35 pm

Don't let her crush the birds that are nesting in your beard Al.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:23 pm

From Mexico to Ecuador

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:30 pm

I'd go live in a wooden house in the dunes 20 k's north of hossegor for the whole of the northern summer and autumn and then to Box Head for the rest of the year.

Costa Rica is OK, but the howler monkeys wake you up in the night and the roosters wake you up in the morning and the girls keep a 100m exclusion zone around them.

I'd possibly just hang in Cornwall in a thatched house with a trout stream and a beach over the dunes with no Cornish people allowed, a la Doc Martin.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:08 pm

monkeyman wrote:I'd go live in a wooden house in the dunes 20 k's north of hossegor for the whole of the northern summer and autumn and then to Box Head for the rest of the year.

Costa Rica is OK, but the howler monkeys wake you up in the night and the roosters wake you up in the morning and the girls keep a 100m exclusion zone around them.

I'd possibly just hang in Cornwall in a thatched house with a trout stream and a beach over the dunes with no Cornish people allowed, a la Doc Martin.
Well mate Eden has bass and trout in freshwater, big pelagics saltwater, venison for the freezer, great surf and sailing and a much better climate!
Mexicans optional but depend where you live around that way.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:44 pm

Newport.

betty boop
regular

Post by betty boop » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:02 pm

Patagonia-beautiful scenery and a bit wild, still.

Africa to see a few more animals.

Galapagos Islands.

Or maybe somewhere more civilised where the food is excellent as I am getting a bit too old for all that adventure stuff, like Italy or Spain.

dingoshred
regular

Post by dingoshred » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:23 pm

won't be going anywhere in the short term, but will relocate after some more travels i hope.

In terms of cities, I love Medellin in Colombia. Best city in the world.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:45 pm

Been there. Done that. Still here. Still happy.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:45 pm

I reckon you can (pack up and leave) when you want to, I choose not to.

Might go to HI for four weeks this coming January, just for the hell of it.

Just really craving heavy waves and barrels right now.

dingoshred
regular

Post by dingoshred » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:56 pm

tomtom wrote:
dingoshred wrote:won't be going anywhere in the short term, but will relocate after some more travels i hope.

In terms of cities, I love Medellin in Colombia. Best city in the world.
Why, because you're in with the Medellin Cartels?

The South Coast for me. One of those 2 story places over looking Bawley Point, of course with a helipad and chopper, for those spur of the moment flights to Sydney for the odd trashy night out.
Medellin Cartel doesn't exist anymore... the only major cartel that really still exists in Colombia is the Norte de Valle, which was pretty much broken up earlier in the year. The big one are Mexican now.

Medellin is just a very cosmopolotin, cool and interesting city. Nightlife is amazing in the zona rosa. And Coombians are so friendly. Oh did I say that the girls are so hot and every second girl has had breast implants (no joke, its the capital of the world for it). Its also now one of the safest cities in South America (definantly in Colombia,if you compare it to places like Buenventura or even Cali).