Realsurf's Life Expectancy

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Are the realsurf forums dying?

Quite possibly yes
17%
Not really we can talk sh*t forever
50%
I'm only here for the poll [FONG]
33%

Total votes: 12

kuba
regular

Post by kuba » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:45 am

abseiling/canyoning is to climbing as body-boarding is to surfing.
just an observation.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:51 am

When I first started lurking and then contributing it seemed people wrote longer posts. They put a bit more effort in to connect a few ideas and inject a bit of their own personality into the threads - I'm thinking Flatrocker, that Squid fella (not sure of the names), ol' Laz and even Meataxe.

I think only Sohar and Lucky Al bother to tell stories these days...and ain't that a worry! Dunno if it's due to the proliferation of trolls - who are sure to shut down any worthwhile thread, therefore making the effort worthless - or the drying up of ideas. Not sure, but personally I'd much rather read posts where people 'give themself up' with an intelligent or irreverent story rather than just one exclamation and then expecting everyone else to carry the ball.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:30 pm

I think you're being a bit too harsh there reefer. There are still plenty of interesting, well thought out conversations with great links and personal insights......many of which you take part in ...

(mebbe you're just still pissed off over your latest tiff w/ still here :P )

...and, sadly, very few of which i do :? .

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:01 pm

Kyles wrote:wow i just learnt something

They actually have a word for skull f*cking someone?
That takes things to a whole new level

squicking: The practice one takes up when **** becomes tedious. **** is the easiest of the two acts, as you only have to remove your partners eye to get somewhere to stick your thingy. A proper squicking requires you to trephine your partner (make a hole in your partners skull) and pork its brain this way. Aiming for the gap between the two hemispheres is said to provide you with firestorming orgasms.

i'm not sure how this will work with my goiter iggy but i'm willing to give it a go
:?:
I think you've just given the game away mate.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:04 pm

Kyles wrote:wow i just learnt something

They actually have a word for skull f*cking someone?
That takes things to a whole new level

squicking: The practice one takes up when **** becomes tedious. **** is the easiest of the two acts, as you only have to remove your partners eye to get somewhere to stick your thingy. A proper squicking requires you to trephine your partner (make a hole in your partners skull) and pork its brain this way. Aiming for the gap between the two hemispheres is said to provide you with firestorming orgasms.

i'm not sure how this will work with my goiter iggy but i'm willing to give it a go
:?:

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:02 pm

Kyles wrote:
lateralus wrote:
:?: what do you mean
Nice tits, shamoan :shock:

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:12 pm

Kyles wrote:
lateralus wrote:
:?: what do you mean
I mean you are not who you pretend to be. :wink:

Butts

Post by Butts » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:43 pm

I'll personally vouch for Kyles, she is who she is 8)
No smnmtl, no troll, no re-invention of anyone, just a nice lass :wink:

Iggy on the other hand :twisted: :P :lol: :lol:

Butts

Post by Butts » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:49 pm

Ringmaster wrote:^^^ Can you two (I & K) please move this conversation to the

'TANGENTS AND I'D LIKE TO COPULATE WITH YOU' section :P
What :shock: so YOU can join in :P :lol: :lol: :wink:

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:59 pm

Butts wrote:I'll personally vouch for Kyles, she is who she is 8)
No smnmtl, no troll, no re-invention of anyone, just a nice lass :wink:

Yeah here too, she's not a he (although may have more 'balls' than smntl)

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:30 pm

Kyles wrote:thanks butts and shaunm:)

I actually find it pretty funny you guys think i'm smnmntl. I'm not that twisted! :lol: (only joking smntl... wherever you may be)
I'm actually pretty normal (whatever that means) and just because I think sick jokes are funny doesnt mean i cant be who i say I am.
What do you think of this joke then Kyles?

What's the difference between jam and marmalade?

........I'm a goose........

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:39 pm

Thankyou for changing that joke so its applicable to 90% of society BB.

However reefer i disagree with your notion that no one is leaving large posts anymore. If you would just perouse the poo thread, although it's not exactly soul pouring, there are some substantial contributions. I think I have written some of my longest posts in that thread, and despite the subject there is quite a bit of half decent imaginative writing in there.

Well worth the look even if you do think it's purile.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Why did the answer to my joke get changed??? No wonder the forums are going to the dogs? Come on Butts all in good spirit pal.

vb
Local

Post by vb » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:09 pm

I don't get it ... goose? Gooseberry? Soft fruit as opposed to citrus? Clear as opposed to rind added. Oh... I see, you can't .......
Getting back on thread, I don't think the topic would have been raised if not for the "new'' format which seems to me to be universally panned. Personally, while it doesn't excite me either, the one it replaced wasn't deserved of any web awards either and perhaps to do a makeover is synonomous with a acknowledged malaise and decline in Realsurf's popularity.
Same deal where I work (print media) ... the trumps keep telling us that the "feedback is sooo positive'' about our new look. In my opinion it's boring crap. Everything dies.
However, I'll keep logging on until that happens. Plenty of good smirks left in the contributors I reckon

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:09 pm

TMC wrote:However reefer i disagree with your notion that no one is leaving large posts anymore. If you would just perouse the poo thread, although it's not exactly soul pouring, there are some substantial contributions. I think I have written some of my longest posts in that thread, and despite the subject there is quite a bit of half decent imaginative writing in there.

Well worth the look even if you do think it's purile.
Yeah TMC, I did read it occassionally, but no, it's not what I come to the forums for. Each to their own I guess...

And Offy, I didn't mean to be harsh; certainly wasn't deliberate. Just trying to understand what I've observed since I've been posting, but hey, I've been wrong before (just ask Still Here and Sunnyboy).

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:06 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:.

Personally, I can hardly be bothered because I've noticed quite often something that has taken a fair effort to produce (whoever has written it) will just be followed by said exclamations/one sentence posts which change the subject completely or twist it so that what was originally written is irrelevant and not even being acknowledged by those following.
Nailed it there Ringo I reckon...rarely can I be arsed these days because of exactly that.

And also everything has pretty much been covered many times over. That said, if you leave it for a few weeks and check back there is always something of interest.
While there is a lot of truth in these comments, it doesn't really matter that much to me. I've found posting is just an excuse for me to write down some thoughts, most of which I didn't know that I had until I started typing away.

It's about the writing, and the fact that there is probably someone out there who is going to read it and respond, and while I don't think about this much, there are possibly quite a few people lurking out there who never contribute but read a lot. God knows how many, one is a bonus.

In that sense I use it as a weblog almost, but the forum topics give me scope to run off somebody else. I have started very few topics, for reasons that escape me, but I'll join in most conversations.

And regardless of the breadth and quality of any responses you can eke out, people's personality's are drawn by their comments, and they are out there for us all to interpret. There are some very intelligent contributors, quite a lot actually, some very funny ones, some genuine eccentrics and all up a tremendous breadth of perspective. That's the makings of a great community. Surely broadening your perspective in these conversations is a great pay off, and the thought that you could influence the thinking of someone else is rewarding.

Plus I don't mind if I repeat myself here and there.

So I'll continue to post while I have the time and I still enjoy the writing. Getting a reaction, especially when you can raise a laugh, is about as rewarding as it gets. Many times I've sat at my desk absolutely peeing myself laughing about some forum topics. Usually I'm at work when I'm on here (not for this one) but having a fit of the giggles as you try to suppress your laughter in the cube farm is one of those small joys of life. Small joys might just be the thing that stops you from losing your mind.

There are a lot of payoffs.

At different times I've tried to consciously write short pithy responses as the technology lends itself to this sort of communication, but my brain naturally works in longer detailed pieces, so I indulge myself, and go on a little journey every time I post,

and take you all with me.

Unless you stopped reading after you saw 'Oldman' at the top.

And I've actually met some of the people who post here. Complete strangers have become something else. Not quite friends yet, but not far off, or at least with so many of those ice breaking conversations out of the way.

So is that long enough for ya :?:

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:35 pm

tomtom wrote:
Kyles wrote:thanks butts and shaunm:)

I actually find it pretty funny you guys think i'm smnmntl. I'm not that twisted! :lol: (only joking smntl... wherever you may be)
I'm actually pretty normal (whatever that means) and just because I think sick jokes are funny doesnt mean i cant be who i say I am.
I was joking, don't really think you are smnmntl.. that'd be a bit too harsh. Guess I should of used one of these :lol: before.

Just end it all now tomtom. Before you really lose the plot pal. Jesus Christ.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:59 pm

Buff_Brad wrote:What's the difference between jam and marmalade?
No idea??