Brazilian surfers

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

don.weather
regular

Post by don.weather » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:15 pm

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:19 pm

I've surfed with 'em a fair bit over the years and have always likened the experience to being in the middle of a soccer match.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:31 pm

That's really disappointing - for both sides.

Still the Gold Coast, much like Sydney, is hyped as a major international destination overseas by the Australian Tourism Authority. The influx of surfing tourism is only going to get worse - especially when there is plenty of jobs and all the usual tourist traps (nightclubs, beaches etc...)

Hawaiians reading this must be quietly chuckling to themselves.

Lucky we've got a big coastline and a lot of it aint marketed to tourists.

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:41 pm

Whenever a group of friends paddle out together and you are on your own then it's a problem, regardless if they are Zillas or Aussies.

Although I do find that Brazilians will do the blatant drop in with no apology. I've also got a Brazilian neighbour who isn't exactly the friendliest, you are lucky to get a reply to your hello from him or his chick.

Then again all my neighbours are anti social shit heads. They steal your mail, throw their shaven pubes from their window, chuck lit cigarettes off their balcony that get blown into your living room, I could go on all night.....Dee Why what a shit hole! :-D

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:20 pm

FishStick wrote:Whenever a group of friends paddle out together and you are on your own then it's a problem, regardless if they are Zillas or Aussies.

Although I do find that Brazilians will do the blatant drop in with no apology. I've also got a Brazilian neighbour who isn't exactly the friendliest, you are lucky to get a reply to your hello from him or his chick.

Then again all my neighbours are anti social shit heads. They steal your mail, throw their shaven pubes from their window, chuck lit cigarettes off their balcony that get blown into your living room, I could go on all night.....Dee Why what a shit hole! :-D
maybe they saw you wanking through the window :shock: :lol:

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:13 pm

2nd Reef wrote:What I won't stand for though is dark-skinned bastards just paddling straight for the inside without any pretence of waiting or sharing.

sixfootstix
Grommet

Post by sixfootstix » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:19 am

Had a great time surfing with this Brazillian
[img][img]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm26 ... GP1060.jpg[/img][/img]
OK... she was Dutch but she had a Brazillian :lol:

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:41 am

You do realise that was satirical don't you Coops??

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:19 am

Ringmaster wrote:The ONLY sort of Brazilian I want trying to paddle over me in the surf...........

Yeah, but ... is she "Brazilian" where it counts?

;)

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:05 am

If you judge a nation by the actions of an individual or a few then you fall into the trap of becoming an ignorant fool.

However if you judge a particular group of people by the ongoing actions of individuals that fall within those groups then it becomes what I call a “justifiable generalization”.

KK

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:11 am

well that sounds plausible, except for the fact that a Nation IS a 'particular group', just a very large one.

Generalisations are Generalisations, Idiots are Idiots. The two mixed = an ignorant fool.

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:27 am

wanto wrote:well that sounds plausible, except for the fact that a Nation IS a 'particular group', just a very large one.

Generalisations are Generalisations, Idiots are Idiots. The two mixed = an ignorant fool.
And the exception proves the rule.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:45 am

What is with the mass generalisation here?

My fiance is brazilian and surfs and they are not all the same. As someone else mentioned, alot may have to do with their culture. If you had a poor upbringing you learnt to fight for everything to get through life. Life in favelas is tough, with people pulling a gun on you just because you looked at them in a way they don't like. They also seem to be a nation that sways a lil on the confident side. So maybe this explains it, can't say for sure.

But just remember they are not ALL the same. You can stereotype any nation but you will always have exceptions. I know alot of as*hole brazilian surfers but i also know alot of laid back brazilians who put others first.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:10 am

Only because Coops sent me an email to check this alleged thread only to see nothing...

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:29 am

I agree on the generalisations Cess, but from one to the next I think its also a generalisation to assume that a lot of brazillians who make it over here on a surfing holiday have had to struggle through a tough upbringing in favelas, Brazil has middle and upper clash trash just like most westernised nations, it'd be foolish to assume that all the ones making it over here have done so by successfully negotiating struggle street.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:35 am

Actually, most (90%)who make it here come from families with money. That's what i have been told by Brazilian's who live here....

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:46 am

My fiance is brazilian
wait wut?

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:50 am

Revolution wrote:
My fiance is brazilian
wait wut?
you struck out revs... :lol: :lol: better hang onto those pics that you copied earlier today...