A video I'd like to see.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bc
charger

A video I'd like to see.

Post by bc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:57 pm

Been watching a few surf vids, and bemoaning the lack of context.
Nat Young talked about showing more background in his movies - but that was more about showing the line-up, dolphins and blokes walking back to the car.
I'm looking to see the crowd fighting for waves, the clueless crew getting caught by the sets, the bloke that keeps paddling inside, the other bloke that keeps dropping in.
How bout a vid of Slater at say D-Bar, no cuts, just an hour focussed on him.
Showing him jockeying for position (Does he need to? I dunno...) paddling wide, wave selection, blah blah. I have no idea how many waves a pro would get in a decent session - and how many might be of any consequence.
Pipe too, or Waimea - with a running commentary on who's who - not just catching the waves, but amongst the pack. Blow ins/Locals/Pros - how many of each?

Anyone else?

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:59 pm

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:52 pm

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:28 pm

And more paddle ins too. Watching guys like (can't remember which one) Hobgood paddling into a very steep takeoff at Chopes. Paddle to take off is such a good part of a wave but they rarely show it.

daleknowles
regular

Post by daleknowles » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:47 am

agreed, even while watching the surf contests I find the shot is too zoomed in most times, I want to see more of the wave, to see how they set up for certain turns and barrells etc.
That is the same for me in other sports too though, when I watch the Hockey (that's like footie, but on ice) I want to see the whole ice surface, to see what people without the puck (that's like a ball) are doing too, their position etc. Maybe I'm this way becaue I was a defencemen (don't know the rugger term for that) when I played.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:51 am

^^^

Thats one of the big draw cards for going to the game / contest or what ever and watching for yourself. No ones gonna make money with a zoomed out 1 hr borefest. If it doesnt make money that you can bet your hard earned it doesnt have a place in the stand up industry.

daleknowles
regular

Post by daleknowles » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:03 am

yeah, I guess, I've often thought that it would be cool to have Picture in picture with the whole arena/field/court, just to see positioning, but your right, that's why it pays to go to the game.

carhoonah

Post by carhoonah » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:31 pm

Couldn't agree with you more BC ... how many perfect, boring barrels can you stand? However, don't go the way of those posturing bro pricks on 808 ... just some good old mundane stuff, like what 90 per cent of surfing is

kuba
regular

Post by kuba » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:46 pm

bc, i like your idea about slater at d'bah. reminds me of the douglas gordon movie/artwork about zidane where the camera focuses on only zidane for the length of the full game: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478337/

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:24 pm

FiNS on fuel tv usually shows some good footage, not exactly what this thread is asking for but close. I especially liked the one last night with the Irons brother surfing a junks onshore fun spot. Was good watching instead of indo or boring comps.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:05 pm

Plonk yourself on DY headland on a Sunday morning and watch it for real. Would be quite a good place to actually shoot a film based on what you want as you do get varying types of surfers out there and it does allow you a good overhead view. Just put Slater into the mix, shouldn't cost too much and get NC to ask him nicely 8)

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:25 pm

^^^

Was interesting watching Kalani Rob out there, he wouldnt sit still for more 30 seconds.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:51 pm

A surfing video that would interest me would have to include

1) Meaningless violence and cannibalism
2) A scene that involved a Crack addict (in the advance stages of drug psychosis) dyna bolting a Gatling gun to a rock platform and mowing down all the weekend freakazoids.
3) Crazy cuts to unnatural sex scenes involving farm animals
4) Japanese kamikaze surfing test pilots getting towed into 15 ft Chopes and eating it bad.
5) Someone getting eaten by a shark
6) More Matt (Archie) Archbold characters and less boring clean cut mofo’s
7) Unknown local surfers ripping up their local
8) Wide long shots. Wanna see and read the whole wave myself

me
Grommet

Post by me » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:59 pm

what has happened to archy?...

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:52 am

kreepykrawly wrote:freakazoids.
happy to hear the term freakazoids. shades of godheadsilo

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:03 am

collnarra wrote:
kreepykrawly wrote:freakazoids.
happy to hear the term freakazoids. shades of godheadsilo
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Saw them live in the states years ago. One of the best live performances I’ve been too. When I listened to them I felt like the Incredible Hulk.

What happened to them ?.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:12 am

I've got one KKK'd like to see :shock: . it's got American flags and swastikas on it, bought it from vinnies yesterday, to take it out of circulation. As so often, the duck goes, ooh, now that would be a good one :P
OF PURE BLOOD

1940 A race of aryan children was being bred............ 1986 A successful .... ..... rescue a baby granddaughter from the revived remnants of a hitler-era plan to produce a master race of pureblood aryans .......

this might set off some sick popups only from Warner Home Video 1986 :shock:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:01 pm

me wrote:what has happened to archy?...
lots of stuff..new vid out soon...