Sarge & why he went missing????

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Norman_Gunston
Grommet

Post by Norman_Gunston » Tue May 13, 2008 2:03 pm

Nappy wrote:
Norman_Gunston wrote:
You may find that he doesn't find it amusing. Unless you are a complete prick you could be more tactful.

Hassle him to his face and see how you go.
Ok obviously your Blakeys Mum or Girlfriend :)

Seriously tho whats wrong with a friendly dig, ppl are to sensitive and politically correct now days. Sure it was a rank thing that Sarge did but Sarge is the one who comes out looking like a freak not Blakey. Blakes may even see the funny side of it now days.
You didn't read where it stated that he was still having nightmares then.

And politically correct??? This is to do with psychological trauma not political correctness. Perhaps this whole concept is too much for some, other than, according to you, Blakey's Mum or girlfriend????

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Tue May 13, 2008 2:21 pm

Nappy wrote:Didnt read the whole thing but it sounds like he walked into Blakeys room at night and gave him a blow job while he was a sleep. :lol:

Sarge has been kool but thats just friggen hilarious :lol: Ill never look at blakey the same way now, must hassle him about it on the chopes webcast...lol.
Nappy,

If that happenned to your brother (or sister) and someone giving them a "friendly dig", i guarantee that you would feel a slight bit of rage burn in your belly.

Bro, I don't think that what happenned to Blakey is funny at all. Think about it...
Last edited by rightbrainpositive on Tue May 13, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Tue May 13, 2008 2:23 pm

smnmntl wrote:if he was doing this sort of thing to chicks instead of guys he'd be a hero in many eyes, or at least treated with a lot more indulgence
.... :shock: maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate forgot your pills today? usually you make some sense.

if he was doing that sort of thing to chicks he'd probably be in jail and have suffered some fractured eye sockets. rape isn't funny.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Tue May 13, 2008 2:34 pm

puurri wrote: I agree. Remember the item Tracks did years ago proposing that abt 20% plus of surfers are gay? Full on denial from their market as a result.
Get over it diddums.
Interesting statistic. As it is generally accepted that about 10% of the overall population is gay what makes Tracks conclude that double that percentage of surfers are gay :?: :shock: :?

nigelr

Post by nigelr » Tue May 13, 2008 2:40 pm

Well said in your first post Norman, nailed it for mine.
A matter of trust.
No excuses.
Good on NR for being concerned for his charges, he has a duty of care to a lot of potentially vulnerable young people.
Incidents like the one described have the power to destroy victims' lives.
I'd say Sargeant is lucky the police weren't involved.

smackthatlip
regular

Post by smackthatlip » Tue May 13, 2008 3:01 pm

Holy sh@t; had no idea that any of this had gone on. Used to love the Sarge's Scrapbooks as a kid. I thought Sarge had found God and gotten off the booze/drugs last time I heard anything about him. Think the main problem with all of it is the lack of consent. You'd definately have nightmares for years if that happened to you. There's nothing funny about what happened at all in my opinion. In fact I don't know why anyone would want to write an article about it. I'd want to keep the whole thing as inhouse as possible. Sells mags I guess :roll:

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Tue May 13, 2008 3:02 pm

Nappy wrote:Didnt read the whole thing but it sounds like he walked into Blakeys room at night and gave him a blow job while he was a sleep. :lol:

Sarge has been kool but thats just friggen hilarious :lol: Ill never look at blakey the same way now, must hassle him about it on the chopes webcast...lol.
Geez mate, I hope you know him well. Hilarious huh?

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Tue May 13, 2008 3:10 pm

chrisb wrote:
puurri wrote: I agree. Remember the item Tracks did years ago proposing that abt 20% plus of surfers are gay? Full on denial from their market as a result.
Get over it diddums.
Interesting statistic. As it is generally accepted that about 10% of the overall population is gay what makes Tracks conclude that double that percentage of surfers are gay :?: :shock: :?
Just as gay males are attracted to blokey cultures, some moreso if "the blokier the better". Viz "Brokeback Mountain".

Longy
Grommet

Post by Longy » Tue May 13, 2008 3:41 pm

champion bloke or proven tool, what he did was downright sick & wrong. If one of my lifelong mates done such a thing I'd banish the c*nt, i just couldnt look the bloke in the eye or hang with them ever again.

Grant Moss
Grommet

Post by Grant Moss » Tue May 13, 2008 4:03 pm

smnmntl wrote:
But all this talk of abuse, victims, preying, attacks etc is just ridiculous

Sarge sounds like a nuisance and an embarrassment, as well as a bit of a creep and a sad case. I don't imagine I'd want him around. But neither would I be sounding the alarm like some sort of godzilla is on the loose, dobbing him in
Sounds very much like the attitude/response of a lot of people in the Catholic Church when confronted with the same news about people they held in high esteem within their own (religious) subculture
Get off the computer & go outside there's better things to do out there.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Tue May 13, 2008 4:30 pm

saltman wrote:Interesting statistic. As it is generally accepted that about 10% of the overall population is gay what makes Tracks conclude that double that percentage of surfers are gay :?: :shock: :?
I
suspect this has since been used and distorted by those interested in normalising gay culture
PS I hope Sarge gets himself sorted, talented bloke with a big heart and big problems
[/quote][/quote]
How patronising, "normalising gay culture". FFS it's been there before any old testament loon lay down with whomever they wished diddums.
Last edited by puurri on Tue May 13, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nigelr

Post by nigelr » Tue May 13, 2008 4:49 pm

smnmntl wrote:
Grant Moss wrote:smnmntl wrote:
But all this talk of abuse, victims, preying, attacks etc is just ridiculous

Sarge sounds like a nuisance and an embarrassment, as well as a bit of a creep and a sad case. I don't imagine I'd want him around. But neither would I be sounding the alarm like some sort of godzilla is on the loose, dobbing him in
Sounds very much like the attitude/response of a lot of people in the Catholic Church when confronted with the same news about people they held in high esteem within their own (religious) subculture
Oh come on. You really mean to suggest that what Sarge did with a fully-grown man is comparable to what paedophile priests did with children?
In as much as both are breaches of trust, yes.

Da Duke
regular

Post by Da Duke » Tue May 13, 2008 4:51 pm

Sarge!...suck a dick. Oh wait.

I reckon its been long enough. Blakey should just let by-goons be by-goons.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Tue May 13, 2008 5:16 pm

saltman wrote: I suspect this has since been used and distorted by those interested in normalising gay culture
And you're interested in.....what Saltdick???? Gay bashing? You must be a woofta. :lol:

Grant Moss ..... the only relevance to the Catholic Church in all of this is ...... sweet fcuk all. Smnmntl's right ..... it's been blown (sorry) outta all proportion.

Grant Moss
Grommet

Post by Grant Moss » Tue May 13, 2008 5:31 pm

smnmntl wrote:
Just deal with it, you bunch of fairies. It's not like he's going to chloroform you and take you off to his underground lair to be tortured & raped.
No, you're absolutely right. He doesn't need to chloroform you. Being an adult you'll aneasthatise yourself with alcohol etc. etc. no need to drag you off to his lair either as you'll (trustingly) bring youself back to his barracks. Only one problem though smnnmntl. It does appear that the fear of sexual assault is a legitimate one.

Oh come on. You really mean to suggest that what Sarge did with a fully-grown man is comparable to what paedophile priests did with children?
So what you are telling me is that sexual assault is OK as long as its an adult you assault?

Buff Brad you're right. The Catholic Church has got F... All to do with Sarge's saga. However, what I am suggesting is that smnmntl's attitude toward the reported sexual assault committed by Sarge is the same as the Catholic Church's towards those of its priests that were reported to it.
Get off the computer & go outside there's better things to do out there.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Tue May 13, 2008 5:50 pm

iggy wrote:did Blakey finish?
and if so.. did Sarge scoff it down?

:oops: :lol:
:shock:

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Tue May 13, 2008 6:00 pm

saltman wrote:
aitch wrote:I liked the article too and have expected it to pop up since the 'incident' took place. What I found interesting was that an unsolicited sex act happened to a guy - and the whole world turns upside down. I'd be pretty sure many a girl has had this sort of thing happen over the years of debauchery that was pro-surfing in the 70s and 80s.
Thats a pretty good take on it - imagine if everyone that had performed a similar act on a young lady was publicly shamed and banned from the pro tour !!
Its all about lack of consent and betrayal of trust. Here, I think is the similarity with the Catholic church (and teachers and politicians and scout masters etc etc).
Sexual assault is also called rape isn't it and it happens to men too.
Going the munch on passed out drunk chicks should have the same result (ie a ban, and a visit from the cops) I think.

I'm not so comfortable with the article in the first place: it presents itself as 'look at all the great things this guy has done.....what a shame, eh' but it looks like a grubby attempt to sell mags to me. If Sarge had disappeared, sorted himself out, maybe there would be a way back. I think this article will just make it harder for him.

If I was the victim, I would not feel comfortable with this event being splashed (ahem) over magazines and the internet: even (or possibly moreso) if the perpetrator was a pissed mate in need of medication adjustment

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue May 13, 2008 6:27 pm

A sad story all round really. I'm sure Sarge isn't happy. Blakey wouldn't be happy. I don't think I would be happy about it if it happened to me. No, no doubt about it, I would be pissed off.

There are quite a few issues there, all of them look like hypocrisy traps. If you think that sexually molesting a drunken woman is OK, or worse still, something to celebrate, then you sort of forfeit the right to criticise Sarge without being called a hypocrite.

And if you think that a woman who gets herself so smashed that she has difficulty saying 'no', or opens herself up to this sort of abuse because she got drunk enough to be somewhat taken advantage of, even if not properly penetrated, then you really can't have much sympathy for Blakey.

Yet it happened to a bloke from a bloke, and it was non-consensual but both were adults.

So there's a sexist trap, a homophobic trap, a violence against women trap! Whatever your point of view, be consistent and hold off on the double standards.

I'm leaning towards sympathy for Sarge for his mental illness, and deep sympathy for Blakey for being molested. If this had been dealt with as a police matter then Sarge would have been in some serious trouble

And a lot of sympathy for all the women that have woken up after a bender with a strange sticky substance on their person. I wonder how many times that happens on your average weekend.

As much as there is a part of me that is titillated by this story, I already knew that Sarge was in some bother and didn't need to know the details. Now Blakey is a victim all over again.

So no sympathy for the journo. Geez that's a strange way to earn a crust, raking over the still burning embers of other people's tragedies.