Weights/Exercises for surfing.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sat May 10, 2008 5:24 pm

pig champion wrote:boxing, boxing & more boxing ...
Just got some gloves, and hung a bag i've had for awhile.

So far I know, to keep the thumb over the fingers, or it'll get broken.

And to keep the fist straight with the forearm. Then to twist the whole thing, fist and arm.

That's about all I know, dammit :shock:

pig champion
Local

Post by pig champion » Sat May 10, 2008 5:43 pm

daryl wrote:

And to keep the fist straight with the forearm. Then to twist the whole thing, fist and arm.

get some lessons or join a class ... thump boxing is a great place to start if you dont want to go to a fight gym'...

check em out here --> www.thumpboxing.com
my heaters broke & i'm so tired ...

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat May 10, 2008 5:44 pm

especially so if you surf at North Narra or The Bra.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sat May 10, 2008 11:06 pm

pig champion wrote:
daryl wrote:

get some lessons or join a class ... thump boxing is a great place to start if you dont want to go to a fight gym'...

check em out here --> www.thumpboxing.com
Not close to any of those :( .

Oh, and that you hit with the knuckle end, at the bottom of your fingers :shock: And assign numbers to your jabs, 2,1, 1,1,2 haven't got to 3 yet :shock: I am a stone's throw from Mundine's, told you can train there :shock: .

vb
Local

Post by vb » Sun May 11, 2008 5:30 pm

Although you're out of the surfing loop for now, I'm sure paddling is the absolute key to surf fitness. I Googled up some paddling exercises and someone recommended lying prone on bench and using light weights in each hand and going thru the paddling motions. I did exactly this about 20 years ago and I remember next day feeling like the redneck from Deliverance with the arrow thru his back. While you said your local pool was closed have you got a mate with a small backyard one? All you need do is anchor the leggie to step rails or a pole and go for it

iobtf

Post by iobtf » Sun May 11, 2008 7:23 pm

Don't bother ... apart from the easy paddles from the boat to the reef - which an oversized heffalump could manage - there is no need to be any fitter. You'll undo any exercise you have done getting pissed on the first day anyways. Perhaps you should drink more and become immune to hangovers so that you can still go out all night and be up for the early.

bc
charger

Post by bc » Sun May 11, 2008 9:33 pm

Thanks all - interesting variety of tips there.
As with the stretching/yoga thread at the moment, there's a massive range of theories - from crackpot to grounded. I wonder how much is bad information, and how much is just what works for you.

iobtf - when I'm fit, I surf for about 6 hours a day in Indo, and would like to be doing that much at the start, rather than just the end.

vb - interesting tip with using the light weights replicating the paddle motion - anyone else have any feedback? Not too many pools in Redfern, but can run down to Cook Phillip.

Moondoggie - aren't you just paddling on one side with Dragon Boat Racing?

NC - swimming is great, but even when I've been doing a few km a week, there are still surfing muscles I feel aren't coming into play.

On a more theoretical note - does anyone know which muscles paddles mainly uses? -Lats and deltoids?

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Mon May 12, 2008 8:22 am

Check out the Bra Boys DVD. In the bonus features they have exercises that Mark Matthews does. Not going to make you charge Shippies but still some useful things there

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Mon May 12, 2008 8:43 am

clay wrote:Check out the Bra Boys DVD.

I'll get onto it right after I finish watching the Spice Girls World Tour Extended Special Edition with a pissed off hedgehog up my date.

betterIwas
Grommet

Post by betterIwas » Mon May 12, 2008 9:30 am

You might look at a workout Paul Frediani put together

www.surfflex.com under surfers workout using a swiss ball and bungee.

Many good articles are referenced as well

I purchased his book from Amazon. Delivered in about 8 days. Worth having.

You might look at interval running as well eg jog 200m sprint 25-50 jog 200 etc. Your running time will be shorter and the stop/start nature is more akin to the aerobic effort in surfing.

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Mon May 12, 2008 10:17 am

NC - swimming is great, but even when I've been doing a few km a week, there are still surfing muscles I feel aren't coming into play.

Swimming a few km a week - pfftt

Get some flippers and do lots of butterfly kick (underwater, with a kick board or on your back) to work on your core strength - the kick starts at your chest/abs, not from your knees.

Do head-up 25m freestyle sprints to simulate paddling for a wave - keep your head straight and your elbows high.

Do butterfly (with flippers if you have to) to build strength in your lats and back.

Also, try do some anzacs on a regular basis (handstands while pulling a bong) - this will work your core strength, help build your mental resisitance to those long hold downs and also put you in the zen frame of mind you simulates being in the green room.

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Mon May 12, 2008 7:24 pm

If your going to try weights go for lean muscle mass instead of bulk building i.e bench press, squats. There are a trillion exercise you can do with your dumbells to improve fitness and build lean muscle mass.

iobtf

Post by iobtf » Mon May 12, 2008 11:28 pm

bc wrote: On a more theoretical note - does anyone know which muscles paddles mainly uses? -Lats and deltoids?
Biceps, Deltoid, Pectoralis, Trapezious, Brachicradialus, Terres (Major/Minor), Latissimus Dorsi, Oblique and Serratas anterior ... just to name a few. Oddly enough many of these muscles are used lifting a beer from the bar to your mouth.

Oh and I would recommend isometric exercise, probably the only type not mentioned :lol: Standing in a door frame and pushing outwards against it for 30secs as hard as you can at a time for example. I think this overcomes your lack of equipment - assuming you have a door frame.
Last edited by iobtf on Mon May 12, 2008 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Mon May 12, 2008 11:30 pm

Ringmaster wrote:
One Mile Point wrote:If your going to try weights go for lean muscle mass instead of bulk building i.e bench press, squats. There are a trillion exercise you can do with your dumbells to improve fitness and build lean muscle mass.
low weight/high reps = leaner muscles and improved endurance

high weight/low reps = looking like Arnie

I've got a pretty decent work out station in the garage but find that I only use it when the surf is shit for extended periods. Actually :oops: my wife uses it a lot more than I do.

Saw a DVD with featuring Fanning recently (can't remember the name cause they're all pretty similar these days) ............Anyhow, he was doing some pretty impressive workouts with swiss balls and broom sticks and other shit I can't remember but it's obviously done him a lot of good.
My point..

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Thu May 15, 2008 5:55 pm

Check this page out - it is done by Danielle Loveless for Lineup e-mag. She works for surfing australia.
http://www.surfingaustralia.com/lineup/ ... x?nid=8277

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sat May 17, 2008 8:51 am

Boxing gets your feet moving, and forces upper body looseness :shock: .

smackthatlip
regular

Post by smackthatlip » Sat May 17, 2008 12:19 pm

How things change aye?! 30 yrs ago surf-specific training would've involved a couple of cones and a swig of grog before paddling out. Best training is definately surfing itself but I reckon swimming and riding a pushy is good.

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Sat May 17, 2008 5:33 pm

Ringmaster wrote:
One Mile Point wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:
One Mile Point wrote:If your going to try weights go for lean muscle mass instead of bulk building i.e bench press, squats. There are a trillion exercise you can do with your dumbells to improve fitness and build lean muscle mass.
low weight/high reps = leaner muscles and improved endurance

high weight/low reps = looking like Arnie

I've got a pretty decent work out station in the garage but find that I only use it when the surf is shit for extended periods. Actually :oops: my wife uses it a lot more than I do.

Saw a DVD with featuring Fanning recently (can't remember the name cause they're all pretty similar these days) ............Anyhow, he was doing some pretty impressive workouts with swiss balls and broom sticks and other shit I can't remember but it's obviously done him a lot of good.
My point..
I KNOW :idea:

(was just elaborating for the masses)
:p