Kurungabaa

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

marcus
Owl status

Kurungabaa

Post by marcus » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:29 pm

anyone in the know wish to comment?

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:31 pm

Whaddaya need to know Marcus?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:44 pm

I now realise I live at kurungabaa waters.
Actually, looks pretty good - will spend some time reading the articles in depth.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:48 pm

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:05 pm

It's a publication put together by a bunch of like-minded people Marcus. At least people who share similar interests - I'm a bit disturbed thinking I have a mind like Lucky Al.

But it's been an idea of Al's that may have been conceived in the bush near Bendalong with Dave Fitz, or in St Petersburg, or Kanagawa, or Hanoi, I don't know. But I do know that it reached gestation during the 'Old Surf Mags' thread that appeared on Realsurf last year.

Therefore it is from Lucky Al's lusty loins that the seed did spawn. He then spread his seed with Clif. Me, I just read the PM he sent. Dina El Doussouky from Santa Cruz is onboard now too. But really, it's a collective, we have a large editorial advisory board and many people, besides the few I've named, are involved in the production of Kurungabaa. It is a non-profit publication too.

The really cool thing is that this all happened over the internet. I've never met Lucky Al, and only had one Skype conversation with him but the inbox is getting a hammering. I love that we are utilising the immediacy of the internet to create something permanent. Something that can sit on your bookshelf for 50 years.

And thats what we want Kurungabaa to have - words that count. I'd encourage anyone that wants to write an article to get and do so. Share it with us, share it with everyone.

While I'm spruiking I should tell you that volume 1 issue 1 is the eBay issue - buy it for $10 now, hock it for $100 in a few years.

Hurry, stocks are limited....really.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:44 am

cheers fellow realsurfer wanto

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:31 pm

we love surfing magazines. i just want to make that clear! okay, okay...clif hates surfing magazines. but stu and i love them. clif is on his own in this respect. an angry maverick. you want to hide your mags when he comes to visit.

i, i subscribe to surfing magazine, and friends often send or bring me surfer's path, surfer's journal and tracks, and i love them all. i even love the ads. after all that's often (not always!) where you see the best surfing, in the ads.

i've wanted to be part of the world of surfing magazines for a long time, since i saw my first issue of tracks in the bog of dad's mate baz's house in wollongong back in 1983. i think i thought then, 'that's rad!...okay get outta the way, now i'm gonna do something rad!' okay, okay...i wish i had thought that when i first saw tracks. what i probably thought was, 'hey, i kind of surf like occy!'

so we love surfing magazines (clif excluded) and want to do something like what they do, but we also want do different things. for example, we want to focus on surf writing (because other magazines are already doing a fine job with surf images) and we want to bring the work of scholars, journalists, fiction writers, poets and ordinary surfers who like to tell a story together in a non-profit publication free of advertisements, the idea being that freedom of thought and expression in surf writing at least partly requires independence from profit-driven publishers and from advertisers.

i'm not entirely sure about the 'freedom' i just mentioned, because thought and expression are always going to have some limits and restrictions, but still freedom of thought and expression in surf writing is an idea i'm attached to and think worth exploring. and i'm hoping kurungabaa will provide many opportunities for surf writers to explore it.

now i'll take a few steps back because i think clif might be about to cut loose, start ranting and raving about surf mags - which he really, really hates...

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:41 pm

anyone been in touch with realsurf's squid or squidink?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:53 pm

squid would be one to invite to contribute, marcus?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:06 pm

oh yes, another thing i'm really interested in is quality in surf writing. after all, we're already quite free here in the realsurf forum. but to improve, surf writers need to practise. to practise a lot! they need to never stop practising. another way to improve is to listen to advice from experienced readers. that's why kurungabaa has an editorial advisory board, so contributors can receive feedback on their work and rework it in response to the feedback before we print it. this is how i think kurungabaa can help make surf writing better.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:08 pm

Lucky Al wrote:squid would be one to invite to contribute, marcus?
yes he was a realsurf member that made a long running story called foamballs from many of the forum members personas.
It was kinda like captain goodvibes goes to summer bay.
Laz or don would know what im talking about

eh!

Post by eh! » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:28 pm

Good onya Al and the rest of the crew involved

I agree the ads always tend to have the best pictures well atleast thats what they woudl like us to think. In my humble opinion I have always felt that the the surf mags have always subjected the best photos to page 029570 of 035879 which means there is a dirty big crease interfering with the wholeness of the picture. I quickly guaged your new venture today and was stoked on the accompanying snaps for each link. Fuking well done. BTW so far FONG takes the cake for most digestible read "sand fkn sand".

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:44 pm

yep, squid had a talent with the keyboard.

Plop

Post by Plop » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:20 pm

buuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrp.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:25 pm

Plop wrote:buuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrp.
Will you please f.uck off you speck of mouse shit.

Plop

Post by Plop » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:27 pm

plop.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:29 pm

le plop

eh!

Post by eh! » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:39 pm

cmon think of the youth young larry if not atleast the BOM