SORRY!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:28 pm

smnmntl wrote: Then you've got the pathetic old farts who just don't get it - people like Howard & Wilson Tuckey, living fossils from an earlier era. Tuckey making a twat of himself on the news last night was almost pitiable - flailing and swinging, blinking in confusion. He's the classic alpha male in decline - formerly a heavy hitter, now about to become the teeniest weeniest footnote in a shabby chapter of Australian history. See ya later, dickhead :)
Gillard shortened up weasel Tuckey with a nice reality shot during parliament’s first sitting, exposing his true colours .The bloke is a tool and I’m embarrassed for those in the electret of O’Connor.

During the first sitting, Rudd was questioned about 2 of his media representatives turning their backs during Nelson’s speech. Rudd could have fired back by highlighting A) the missing representation from Nelson’s party during the apology. B) Nelson’s wrongful drive to have his say re: compensation on a day set aside for an apology. C) Some of the negative opinions of Nelsons party members prior to the apology ……Instead his response was admirable and refreshing, acknowledging the wrong and making sure the situation was set right.

So far the government has given the impression that their motives are genuine. I hope Rudd continues to refuse to be drawn into the gutter play of Shrek and co.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:38 pm

I like a lot of people on this thread have been trying to work out how these drop kick and punts can say its got nothing to do with me. After a few brews I believe I have the answer.

Margret Thatcher started the concept that there is no such thing as community just a lot of individuals all working for their own benefit. This is what Howard subscribes to. Everyone working for themselves. Only together in their sense of self interest. :evil: :evil: :evil:

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:19 pm

BB and beanpole don't get drawn we've been there, eh!

And Hano, I agree totally :arrow: lessismore made a point along a similar vein x odd pages ago as has 2nds ( but with a bit more bagging of the rat), new era indeed :D I'm liking rudd even if he is a dork :lol:

p.s 2nds, In the year of the rat a new era is born without the rat, lets look to the future not the past now we've said sorry :arrow:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:33 pm

ric_vidal wrote:Is your keyboard broken BB?

Assuming you want us to read it... too hard to read all caps.

Rogue Traders, honestly. :x
That was the point of the caps ric....harder to read maybe more concentration required for the idiots so while they try to read it it actually sinks in to their simple minds. (hey what a great name for a band!) And Rouge Traders as well. Yeah I was one of them once.....always had a bit of trouble with financial discipline working in the past for the greedy merchant wanks.8)

Munch......(are you named after Edvard? - my favorite artist btw)...I'm hearing you mate. Hearing you loud and clear.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:39 pm

Beanpole wrote:Margret Thatcher started the concept that there is no such thing as community just a lot of individuals all working for their own benefit. This is what Howard subscribes to. Everyone working for themselves. Only together in their sense of self interest. :evil: :evil: :evil:
She didn't actually. It was Friedrich Hayek, a German intellectual, who sold this epic little bill of goods to an entire generation of "conservative" thinkers.

Thus providing the supposed intellectual backbone for Thatcherism, Reaganism, supply-side economics, and pretty much all of what we think of as the right wing of the past 30 years.

Like all sociopolitical philosophies, Hayek's dictum -- which states that individual self-interest, when exerted within the broader social context, always results in an overall economic and social improvement -- is partly a product of the individual himself, revealing more about the theorist than his subjects. Just as did Marx (another bloody German intellectual) before him, Hayek pursued examples that seemed to prove his dictum and ignored anything that undermined it. Unfortunately for a lot of poor people in the world, Hayek appeals to the wealthy (who see him as a moral justification for their wealth) and the aggressively aspirational (who see him as a moral justification for just about f**ken anything they do).

I reckon Hayek's lack of emotional insight will put paid to his disciples in the longer run, just as Marx's weak spot was in failing to see individual human desires as being a vital and uncontrollable force in human affairs, so Hayek failed to acknowledge the tremendous and equally uncontrollable power of human compassion, and the need of us to connect with each other beyond our apparent self-interest.

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:06 pm

Lucky he has such a good looking sister.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:42 pm

True Nick,
Should have said popularised or applied.
Ayn Rand would be proud.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:48 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Beanpole wrote:Margret Thatcher started the concept that there is no such thing as community just a lot of individuals all working for their own benefit. This is what Howard subscribes to. Everyone working for themselves. Only together in their sense of self interest. :evil: :evil: :evil:
She didn't actually. It was Friedrich Hayek, a German intellectual, who sold this epic little bill of goods to an entire generation of "conservative" thinkers.

Give me Yaroslav Hasek any day ( :D ) 8)

Hairy_Joseph

Post by Hairy_Joseph » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:14 pm

buff brad hah. if its about having compassion and showing them i feel bad for what has happened in the past...why do we have to use a word that in most peoples minds assumes responsibility?when you do something bad you say sorry. wake up to yourself and admit that kevin rudd has shafted you harder than a shampoo bottle. as prime minister he apologised on behalf of every australian.and that is wrong. he didnt even consult me to start with. and instead of saying sorry it should be something like "tough luck" or "walk it off". this way, we're acknowledging they had a hard time, we're encouraging them to move on and we're doing it in the traditional australian sense. suggesting that i'm racist because i refuse to be more sensitive to an indigenous australian than i would be to a white person whose forebears no doubt had a hard time too at one stage is racist in itself.so dont f*ck with me brad.im not saying i dont care for the aborigines...i'm just saying its a shame that kevin rudd had to trivialise their plight and inadvertently put the blame on every white australian in his selfish pursuit to become the best prime minister we ever had. ooh no other prime minister would say sorry. but kevin rudd did. what a hero. if you failed to grasp his true motives then i pity your naivety.

Hairy_Joseph

Post by Hairy_Joseph » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:22 pm

Chamberess wrote:It's good to see Rudd say what the majority of us have been wanting for years.
just reading back. this exactly proves my point.you think ol kevo didnt pick up on this? you've been had i tell ya.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:37 pm

puurri wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:

Give me Yaroslav Hasek any day ( :D ) 8)
See above :roll:

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:00 pm

Hairy_Joseph wrote:............. and instead of saying sorry it should be something like "tough luck" or "walk it off". this way, we're acknowledging they had a hard time, we're encouraging them to move on and we're doing it in the traditional australian sense.............
very patronising hairy-joseph with your little dicked chimp avatar...... a common theme amongst the fcukwit racists it appears. TMC and co. Dont be angry fellas ...... your small dicks and brains are useful for something.......havent worked that out yet but I'll get back to you....... :roll:

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:20 pm

Hairy_Joseph wrote:as prime minister he apologised on behalf of every australian.and that is wrong.
Kevin Rudd apologised on behalf of the Federal Parliament.

It is one of the sole separate legal entities that has been involved throughout this sorry process.

It's not you, you little gimp.

If you feel no apology is necessary then that's fine. I don't give a shit about you or anyone else who feels that way. Untermensch.

It's people like you who should be ostracised by society.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:51 am

Its good to hear most people on these boards on the side of unity. But i can def say that most people in this country dont feel the same and are either angry or have some chip on their shoulder against the aboriginals from this day. :x :x

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:49 am

Coops@DY wrote:Its good to hear most people on these boards on the side of unity. But i can def say that most people in this country dont feel the same and are either angry or have some chip on their shoulder against the aboriginals from this day. :x :x
Why oh why? Jealous, instead of a dark, sculptured possessive appearance, anglos got lumped with looking like something off the shelf of a pie shop on a rainy day, that glows in the dark.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:55 am

daryl wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:Its good to hear most people on these boards on the side of unity. But i can def say that most people in this country dont feel the same and are either angry or have some chip on their shoulder against the aboriginals from this day. :x :x
Why oh why? Jealous, instead of a dark, sculptured possessive appearance, anglos got lumped with looking like something off the shelf of a pie shop on a rainy day, that glows in the dark.
Love the metaphors mate. BTW there was an art exhib a few yrs back titled "immersed in whiteness".

and there are a few electives on "whiteness studies" (constructions of identity). good for a google too and Clif would have some knowledge of the matter, he being "of that country".

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:13 am

John's Story

John's story is bleak and heartbreaking. It is told in plain and vivid detail - the image of small boys being herded in behind the iron gates of the orphanage, their heads shaved, their numbers stamped on their clothes, their little suitcases containing only their Bibles being cast into flames. And after that, they are beaten and sodomised and turned against each other. Prisoners. John says he will always be a prisoner as long as his records remain in the archives. This is Confidential evidence number 436.

We didn't have a clue where we came from. We thought the Sisters were our parents. They didn't tell anybody - any of the kids - where they came from. Babies were coming in nearly every day. Some kids came in at two, three, four days old, not months but days. They were just placed in the home and Christian women ran it and all the kids thought it was one big family. We didn't know what it meant by 'parents' cause we didn't have parents and we thought those women were our mothers.

I was definitely not told that I was Aboriginal. What the Sisters told us was that we had to be white. It was drummed into our heads that we were white. It didn't matter what shade you were. We thought we were white. They said we couldn't talk to any of them coloured people because you're white.

I can't remember anyone from the welfare coming there. If they did I can't remember...we hardly saw any visitors...None of the other kids had visits from their parents. No visits from family. The worst part is we didn't know we had a family.

When we got to a certain age, like I got to, ten years old...they just told us we were going on a train trip...We all lined up with our little ports with a bible inside...We really treasured that, we thought it was a good thing that we had something...the old man from La Perouse took us from Sydney, well actually from Bomaderry to Kinchela Boy's Home. That's where our problems really started, you know!

This is where we really learned that we weren't white.

First of all they took you in through these iron gates and took our little ports off us. Stick it in the fire with your little bible inside. They took us around to a room and shaved our hair off. They gave you your clothes and stamped a number on them. They never called you by your name; they called you by your number, which was stamped on everything.

If we answered an attendant back we were 'sent up the line'. Now I don't know if you can imagine seventy-nine boys punching the hell out of you, just knuckling you. Even you brother, your cousin.

They had to, if they didn't do it, they were sent up the line. When the boys who had broken ribs or broken noses they'd have to pick you up and carry you right through to the last bloke. Now that didn't happen once, that happened every day.

Before I went to Kinchela, they used to use the cat-o-ninetails on the boys instead of being sent up the line. This was in the thirties and-early forties.

Kinchela was a place where they thought you were animals. You know it was like a place where they go around and kick us like a dog. It was just like a prison. Truthfully, there were boys having sex with boys. But these mongrels didn't care. We had a manager who was sent to prison because he was doing it to a lot of boys, sexual abuse. Nothing was done. There was a pommie bloke that was doing it. These attendants - the boys told them - they wouldn't even listen. It just happened...I don't like talking about it.

We never went to town...the school was in the Home...all we did was work, work, work. Every six months you were dressed up. Oh mate! You were done up beautiful white shirt. The welfare used to come to Bridge Street, the main bloke, the superintendent, to check the home out - every six months.

We were prisoners from when we were born...The girls who went to Cootamundra and the boys who went to Kinchela - we were all prisoners. Even today they have our file number so we're stil1 prisoners you know. And we'll always be prisoners while our files are in archives.

Taken from: The Stolen Children.
Their Stories. Ed. Carmel Bird.
Random House, Sydney, 1998, pages 62ff.
Sorry isn't enough.

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:55 am

[quote="yanks r us"]sorry for what? i didnt do anything.