Best January surf for a long time.....?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

barrel_nutter27

Best January surf for a long time.....?

Post by barrel_nutter27 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:21 am

I honestly can't remember having such a good quality, consistent swell for such a long period of time over the xmas/new year/january summer period for quite a long time, is it possibly one of the best if not the best january swell ever ??? could create some interesting debates!
the only other time I remember there being such a good january swell was Australia day a good 10 or so years ago, there was a solid 6ft NE swell that came through and the northern beaches were firing, I remember seeing North Av absolutely pumping and breaking out at the tip of the northern headland.....

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:06 pm

If it keeps up next week then i'd certainly say so

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:22 pm

LAST DAY OF WORK TOMMOROW, NEVER WORKING AGAIN (until i get a real job in a few years time after more educatio) apart from casual delivery mondays :D

fucking blessing to see barstardos predict it here till at least the 12th 8)

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:14 pm

Yes I was saying to mates in the water all I seem to remember is every New Year's Day is usually flat/smallish and crowded.

bro
Local

Post by bro » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:17 pm

sure there's swell but I don't thinkt the qaulity is great at all unless you can travel for optimal cpndotions which I can't :(

Just cause there's swell doesn't make it all time in my book

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:14 pm

Not for Sydney Mal riders

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:34 pm

my bones hurt...my muscles hurt ( poor scrawny little things :lol: )

i'm sun burnt, my traps have been left unattended :shock:

( and most likly thieved :!: :x )

my feet are scratched to bits....i owe $150 on credit for petrol used this week

i'm too tired go work....my boss hates me

my family think i've gone mad

so all in all :arrow: it's a pretty good start to the year :lol:

must sleep now :shock:

p.s if the swells dropping off would someone like explain the 8 ft plus bombs they came thu about 7 am up here :!:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:41 pm

the swell isn't dropping any more.

prog charts show an actual cyclone forming mid next week near New Caledonia and re-forming the easterly wind band.

Jan 12, ha, we might be still going by the 20th. In which case yeah, it would pretty much be the best east coast January in close to living memory -- certainly since the short board arrived.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm

NC :shock: great news.

One problem, i was ripping into my mate for saying there is always good surfing in summer for days about 3 weeks ago :shock: :oops: :lol: Now what the fuck can i tell tha kook :idea:

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:43 pm

I just got back from a week up Noosa way.... :D :D :D

crowded, but jeez- when you got one it was worth the wait!

didn't take the DSLR on this trip, only a point n shoot....

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:00 pm

bookster wrote:I just got back from a week up Noosa way.... :D :D :D

crowded, but jeez- when you got one it was worth the wait!

didn't take the DSLR on this trip, only a point n shoot....
Nonetheless I look forward to the photos.

lovemuscle
Grommet

Post by lovemuscle » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:46 pm

Currently swirling in 35-45 knot winds. Warnings of huge seas along the east coast and gale force winds in the North :shock:

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:39 am

Up here on the rain sodden Gold Coast. Kirra is about it. There are guys doing the tow thing at the ally but I am not sure why. Water looks filthy and it's pretty windblown and messy. Water swirling around the carpark at the surf club at Currumbin. Took my daughter up to see a friend at Main Beach yesterday and they had dozers trying to reclaim some of the beach with warnings not to walk along there. Drove through Surfers, what a zoo with alot of pissed tourists. Looks like swell up here for the next couple of weeks, just need the wind to settle, even for the early. Have a good day all and will log on when possible. 8)

barrel_nutter27

Post by barrel_nutter27 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:12 am

it certainly hasn't been that clean along the northern half of the NSW coast / QLD coast but in sydney it's been pretty darn good especially if you're on the nthn beaches where the majority of spots pump with this E/NE swell & wind direction.
as NC has stated, with this fetch to reform next week, it could well be the best january run of swell in living memory....

lovemuscle
Grommet

Post by lovemuscle » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:23 pm

anothr cut and paste weather report
no, its what I read, but who gives a fark anyway, its a contribution and not full of emoticons knob.

amsay00
Grommet

Post by amsay00 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:54 pm

yeahh i agree for the point breaks its been epic but gotta admitt most beach breaks hvnt been able to handle anything well where i live on the south coast for that matter i imagine qld definantly to

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:51 pm

Well, the good news is that there's probably more to come: those of us who read the forecasts diligently, and visit the appropriate surfing informations services will have procured this:

"The good news is an active MJO phase prevalent over northern Australia should propagate eastward into the western Pacific over the next couple of weeks; this is likely to enhance tropical convection across the region which in turn presents a better than average chance of cyclogenesis reoccurring in our swell window into the middle of January." [courtesy of Mr B. Mcartney of Coastalwatch.com]

Note 'cyclognesis' reoccuring! And 'active MJO phase' prevalent! I, for one, am fairly peeing in my pants at such news. Yes, dear surfing persons, convection and confabulation all the way until February!

aitch
regular

Post by aitch » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:47 pm

I got my shoulder re-operated on in May*, all the boys said I missed the winter of winters, I'm a 8 weeks back in the water and just thanking my lucky stars this summer is so fckin good - roll on Feb.

*I'm moving to Quebec Canada for ten hard years min in April. So there's a context in the jibbing

88SMASHED