Nutrition Basics

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:27 pm

yanks r us wrote: you cant be that gullible and stupid mully can you :oops:
:shock: :arrow:

:lol: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:46 pm

God this thread has gone in some funny directions. Here are a few horrible facts that have surfaced as a result:

Fong is a bodybuilder.

Rev s**ts himself out of nerves and/or excitement before surfing.

yanksrus knows everything but won't tell anyone what it is.

wanderer likes jelly snakes.

slowman and puuri should go out for a beer some time.

leave the farcical Nutrition Advice to the "experts". Unless you're undertaking a serious athletic program, it's just pissing in the wind.

ps crew who are suffering from calf cramping -- your problems may stem not from nutritive problems but from a transfer of physical tension from other areas of the body. Is it accompanied by curling of the toes? Paddling in particular -- specially when you're trying hard -- will cause this; the physical stress is pushed away from the upper body and into the lower legs, where it can express itself in stiffening and cramping. The answer: conscious relaxation of the lower back, legs and feet while you're paddling around and sitting waiting for a wave.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:47 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:
yanks r us wrote: you cant be that gullible and stupid mully can you :oops:
:shock: :arrow:

:lol: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
You left the back right hot plate on :twisted:

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:00 pm

:lol: nickc

That pic looks pretty gud but
u must be sum eskimo or sumthin but ay

puurri
Owl status

bits

Post by puurri » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:27 pm

yanks r us wrote::lol: nickc

^^^
mired in his own sense of self.

Dingus
Owl status

Re: bits

Post by Dingus » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:10 pm

puurri wrote:
yanks r us wrote::lol: nickc

^^^
mired in his own sense of self.
Don't insult Offshore1 like that. He can do it perfectly well on his own :P

You r Yanks, they prefer at least Inuit, not eskimo. And not much tuna up that way for them I don't think.

offshore1
Duke Status

Re: bits

Post by offshore1 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:19 am

Dae wrote:[Don't insult Offshore1 like that. He can do it perfectly well on his own :P

hey dae, don't drag me into this sh*tfest. I'm perfectly content w/ my american doughnuts and fried coke diet.....thank you .

Aren't you supposed to be in a leaky sea kayak somewhere off the lee shore of Sri Lanka about now, Capt. Cook? :lol:

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:15 am

i guess slowman must have some sort of 24/7 job or else he's still scavenging through countless google hits to make a reply after he finished "work" :shock: :roll:

amsay00
Grommet

Post by amsay00 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:24 am

i try not to hve a smoke at least within an hour of goin out otherwise ive noticed i get tired very quickly and i aways hve a big glass of milo or up n go b4 goin out

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:44 am

From the Penny Magazine of the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge, Jan 25 1834:

Advantage of Activity

As animal power is exhausted exactly in proportion to the time during which it is acting, as well as in proportion to the intensity of force exerted, there may be a great saving of it by doing work quickly, although with a little more exertion during the time. Suppose two men of equal weight to ascend the same stair, one of whom takes only a minute to reach the top, and the other takes four minutes, it will cost the first little more than a fourth part of the fatigue which it costs the second, because the exhaustion is in proportion to the time during which the muscles are acting. The quicker mover may have exerted perhaps one-twentieth more force in the first instant to give his body the greater velocity, which was afterwards continued, but the slow supported his load four times as long. - Arnott's ' Elements of Physics

Copy and paste old school style - Read and type :P

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:24 pm

yanks r us wrote:i guess slowman must have some sort of 24/7 job or else he's still scavenging through countless google hits to make a reply after he finished "work" :shock: :roll:
Nah just got better things to do some times but nice to know I was missed. I'm only a part timer here anyway. Could I be bothered going through all this again? Fark why not :lol: :whip:
yanks r us wrote:
Slowman wrote: Why does this work? Basically out bodies store about 2 hours worth of glycogen (muscle fuel ready to burn) and after that we have to rely on stored fat as the main fuel source. The real problem is when you run out of glycogen and switch to fat it hurts, you feel exhausted and your muscles ache.
This is absurd brother. Our bodies dont store just 2 hours worth of glycogen. Importantly, the body doesnt use just one source at a time, it depends on intensity and im sure surfing would consist of a healthy fraction of fat burning (which doesnt hurt) :roll:
Well studies have shown it is around the 2hr mark is where marathon runners blow, sure the question has already been raised here that due to the difference in intensity and work volume the body's stores would probably last longer. The relevant question is whether there is enough intensity in the activity of paddling back out to start burning glycogen. Depends how fast you paddle doesn't it? I paddle fast because it means I get more waves that way. When you know everybody you really can't just drop in or continually snake the inside but there is no bar on overtaking anyone on the way back out to the line up. As I said I found myself at about 70% of my maximum heart rate which would certainly be an intensity that would require some glycogen as fat burning, as I understand it, would not be able to keep up with the energy demands at that intensity.
Slowman wrote: There are a complicated set of chemical reactions that take place in the blood stream and the muscles, described in very much detail by the Krebs Cycle (aka critic acid cycle) if you want to do some further reading. Anyway, what actually happens when we eat at rest is that the process of "fat storing" starts.

Now because we only have one blood stream that excludes fat burning because that requires different chemicals in the blood stream, so our bodies can't do the 2 things at once.
Just so you know the Krebs cycle is just part of the complicated set of reactions. I wont bother much on your last part because i dont even think you know what your talking about.
True that last part I was guessing but really it's inconsequential with regard to the major point that fat burning is inhibited.
Slowman wrote: So by switching on "fat storing" we switch off fat burning, which means we use the high octane fuel glycogen for our muscles exclusively. This means you can work harder (but don't forget you've only got about 2 hrs).
That is entirely 100% wrong. The body doesnt switch between resources but is always using different preportions of each energy depending on intensity.
I am aware that a mixture is used but I was trying to keep it simple besides switch can be used in the sense of vary or change as in change proportions. Ah semantics. But tell me, if is fat burning inhibited (as referenced above) then what is fueling the metabolic fire?
Thats why you can do anything for more than 2 hours because if you and almost no glycogen you wouldnt be able to continue because of the fatigue. Wait are you suggesting to eat fat beforehand? oh jeeez :roll: let me tell the aussie top athletes about this secret which is opposite what they beleive, because the more you can preserve glycogen (by using fat) the more your able to perform at your best for longer.
I think you must have fat on the brain. I have at no time suggested or implied any such thing and in case your feint is designed to flush out a Seers exponent stop looking up that tree.
Slowman wrote: If you want to surf for longer than 2hrs then don't eat just before hand (must finish the meal 3 hours before hand) or wait until about 20 mins into your surf and then take some fuel on board. Once you start exercising and provided the body is not in fat storing mode you will burn a mixture of fat and glycogen. This means you won't suddenly fade after about 2 hrs. You'll be able to surf for much longer and gradually fade, however if you come in and eat something (gentle on the stomach, like creamed rice or even sports gel) this fuel will be converted to glycogen rather than be stored as fat. So mid session refueling will keep you going.

If you want to surf as long as you can have lots of low gi carbs at least about 2 hours beforehand. Maybe midession pop in some high gi food or a powerade. Keeping your sodium balance right and providing some quick energy to yoru body.
:lol: that sounds somewhat similar apart from an hours difference to what you are supposedly correcting above
Slowman wrote: The blood system stays primed with these chemicals that help burn fat and also convert any new calories to glycogen for up to an hour after exercise. So any calories consumed during this window will be used to top up the glycogen supplies in the muscles. This will see you better recovered for the next surf. Beer, while providing calories does other things too that interfere with a good recovery, so scotch that one kiddies! Not at least until after you rehydrated properly too.

Primed with wat chemicals :roll: The things that manipulate what heppens are hormones like HPL and glycogen synthase.

Just thought id clear that up for the realsurf community :wink:
Duh, hormones are made of chemicals, actually every physical thing is, I just thought I'd clear that up too. If you want to play semantics I can guarantee a real run for your money.

And remember, reading bits a pieces of the internet will just result in false concepts created in attempt to understand the wider picture of what little you know.
:lol: sounds remarkably like a process called learning and happens not just by using the net, there are plenty of examples of mistakes made by all types. Some are critical and some are of no import, it is recognising the difference that is important. Most of the things you've questioned really are irrelevant and don't rip the foundations out. The biggy is whether surfers do perform at intensities to use glycogen or not.
Chrispo wrote:...
You are correct in saying that fatigue is not caused by lactic acid... It is caused by a lack of calcium release from the sarcoplasmic reticulum (cell in the muscle)...
yanks r us wrote:I dont know what the original question was..

But whoever is claiming that fatigue is the result of say x is plain wrong, its a mix of numerous things. Not even the top scientists can give a specific answer its quite complicated.

Never the less, a high carb diet will work best at preventing fatigue as its the major reason for it, responsible for runners "hitting the wall".
Chrispo wrote:"oh jeeez let me tell the aussie top athletes about this secret which is opposite what they beleive, because the more you can preserve glycogen (by using fat) the more your able to perform at your best for longer"...TOTALLY TRUE... as soon as you take in glucose you start to release Insulin which turns off fat usuage.

"reading bits a pieces of the internet will just result in false concepts created in attempt to understand the wider picture of what little you know"...TRUE...obviously qualified in the health science or alike???

Yanks are us... i agree totally with what you have said in your whole post.
Well I don't think he is agreeing with you 100% Chrispo :lol:

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:49 am

Slowman wrote:

The biggy is whether surfers do perform at intensities to use glycogen or not.
You could have said this before.

Of course they do! :lol: