Who buys a new board from a surf store?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Lairdy
Grommet

Who buys a new board from a surf store?

Post by Lairdy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:40 pm

My last two board purchases have been from a shaper. How many people buy a brand new board from a store and why? Is it because you get a trade in? What are the pro's and cons of buying from either a store or a shaper? I would be interested in peoples thoughts here.

jose
Grommet

Post by jose » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:56 pm

Yeah i only get my boards from jetty surf. the guys said that cos the board was short i could do 360s really easy. i havent tested it yet tho cos the swells been so big in the last 3 weeks. every one thought i was so cool walking around the shopping mall with my new stick
cowabunga dude.

lovemuscle
Grommet

Post by lovemuscle » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:34 am

Never. Only when I was a grommet and the board was second hand. You would be mad to pay over $700 for a pop out.
the guys said that cos the board was short i could do 360s really easy.
haha good sale tip.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:37 am

I bought a 6'9 Wayne Lynch off the rack about 10 years ago; picking it up I thought it was one of the best boards I'd seen.

Been tempted a few times since, principally by a semi 2nd hand Simon A 6'3" pintail made for Tooky Stephan that Took thought was too slim for him.

Pros: you get exactly what you see; you might get a trade-in and thus cut the price; the shop owner will often bust out with a free leggie or grip or whatever.

Cons: can't really think of any, I guess with PU if you don't know how old the board is then it might be a bit brittle.

I don't underestimate the value of working closely with a good designer on custom equipment, that's irreplaceable for an experienced surfer, but I don't think you should be too hung up about it, it's not a question of your surfing ability or whether you're "cool" or not, indeed if you think it's not "cool" to buy a board off the rack then maybe you're the "cool"-crippled bozo.

bojanglez
regular

Post by bojanglez » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:54 am

Usually go through my shaper, but am running a crafty marketing campaign at work (surf into summer promo) which has enabled me to score two new sticks for zip. JS 6'6 and a 5'11 quad... GOLD!!!!!

But as the others have said, what you see is what you get. Going to your local shaper will enable you to get some variations on your board and taylor it more to your ability or even for the waves you'll be riding.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:06 am

ebay FTW! :lol:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:23 am

Last board I bought was about 2 years ago and was off the rack, but as Iggy said, it was just what I was looking for if I had ordered a custom, so I bought it.

Would like to support the local board makers generally but I don't have that much money to splurge on surfboards that it makes a difference.

I might have to go to Ric-Vidal for my next board, but that might be a long time away. Don't hold your breath Ric!!!

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:27 am

i havent got one off the rack, mostly from bill, but there is one occasionaly that catches my eye....like the Simon anderson 5'6, felt like a dream...anywhoo.

Patto10
Grommet

Post by Patto10 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:40 pm

Second hand boards are great and I have had a couple of beauties but I gotta say I have only done a new one once, a Simon from the surfection at DY (gone now) and it was an absolute dog.
However I have bought many off the rack at On Board in Darley Street in Mona Vale because they have all been Merricks and spot on dimensions.
Rommelsie always good for a deal as well.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:47 pm

I'm a fat lazy bastard so I'd need to gaffe tape 2 together :shock:

New ones, they all seem to be Epoxy these days or generic cheapies.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:05 pm

Pretty much agree with everything ya said Ringa.

Been surfing for about 30 years so I know what I want from a board. If there's one on the rack that suits, I'll happily buy it. I don't need customs.

cambo
regular

Post by cambo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:25 pm

I get my travel boards made by somebody who surfs there and knows what works http://www.jimbanksurf.comSurfboards/pe ... _range.htm - two really special boards :-)

Over the years I tended to get my local boards shaped but I was in a board store for no particular reason a year ago and saw a board that OBVIOUSLY was the perfect board for me so I bought it - it too has been a great board and now that it is getting older I'm not sure what I'll do about replacing it.

As with Ringer and BS - I've owned and ridden so many boards that I know what works and I also know what doesn't work for me.

I prefer not to be assisted when selecting a surfboard but if I see the right board I'll buy it, and if I'm actively looking for a board and can't see it on a rack somewhere then I'll just order it.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:38 pm

Talk to Grant Miller, even if you are not buying you will walk away with an order. :lol:

still here
charger

Post by still here » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:42 pm

A lot of all the design guff that comes out of some people's mouths is just just that .....guff .
A standardised PROVEN shape that is replicated and keeps selling is more likely to work than someone trying to go on what I tell them about my weight, surf style , waves I surf etc (which is probably going to be overrated and in other cases underrated -so how does the shaper truly know what he's got to make ) .
Of course if you want something half way between 2 boards you've seen ..... then get it shaped up .

mc

Post by mc » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:33 pm

I usually buy my shortboard from a shop off the rack. I may just have to wait a few weeks for the dimensions I want.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:06 pm

still here wrote:A lot of all the design guff that comes out of some people's mouths is just just that .....guff .
Probably true, and a lot of the guys are saying they know what works for them, but if you (not you specifically) haven’t tried something outside the box, how the hell do you know if something different works?

All too safe if you ask me, how do you expand if you are just going for fundamentally the same thing board after bored? :wink:

I’ve made a sh*tload of ‘different’ boards for different people and myself, they all work in some manner shape or form. If they don’t they go, someone will be drawn to them.

homebush

Post by homebush » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:32 pm

I have been buying boards for over 35 years & about 85% would be off the rack, the rest custom or self made or glassed. As you get older your requirements change due to your flexibility & physical condition so you may want that nice looking shortboard under your arm but in fact your board is 1/2" thicker & 1" wider than you rode 10 years ago. The problem the off the rack buyer has is this a. do i go to Pauls Warehouse and buy the Unleashed brand Epoxy Chinese built generic surfboard for the masses or b. do I go to a reputable surf shop and buy a Rusty EPS T2 surfboard shaped by a world renowned shaper. God I love my T2[/b]

lovemuscle
Grommet

Post by lovemuscle » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:00 am

If I like a board, I normally get it copied by my local shaper-for half the price. And the boards turn out pretty close to spot on.I dunno why but I seem to get more flex out of my dhd and js board. But in saying that they really dont last as long as my local shapers board. Ive given up shelling out money for a board you like the look of.There is a small chance they could be a dog, and shelling out $750 for a dog would be a miserable experience.