virtual buoys...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

oldo_nicho
regular

virtual buoys...

Post by oldo_nicho » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:27 pm

I was wondering if there is anywhere on the net that allows you to access the virtual buoy data for a specific longtitude and latitude in bar graph form. I find the coloured contour plots hard to work out the exact predicted value...

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:59 am

buoyweather.com

you may need to subscribe - not sure.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:57 pm

Yes, you will need to subscribe, it's not bad - about $70 for the year from memory. The whole service was originally designed to support ships at sea that could only receive burst transmission via inmarsat - so its probably all just solid text. We had to design an application to turn it into the bar graph but I think the guys that run the site could help you out as well. I have always found them to be very user friendly and very good value for your annual subscription.

oldo_nicho
regular

Post by oldo_nicho » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:40 am

Ohh, ok, didn't realise that buoyweather offered that as a service.

What are peoples thoughts on the accuracy of buoyweather? I used to use it alot when I first started surfing, but found that the wind predictions were usually pretty funky and eventually started just using swellnet, and the realtime buoys and weatherzone for current conditions...

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:08 am

It's as accurate as anything out there imo. You just gotta be clear that the only weather map that counts is the one drawn from real time data (ie what's actually happened).

Aust east coast is particularly hard on computer models, esp this time of year.