tide watches

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

marcus
Owl status

tide watches

Post by marcus » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:07 pm

Gday all
can anyone recommend a good model of tide watch.
It would be nice to have tide heights and sunrise sunset too if possible.
Something that can take a beating with a good band?
Any advice would be great.

edited to fix my lousy spelling

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:11 pm

ripcurl ats, not bad but needs resetting every few months.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:29 pm

wanto wrote:ripcurl ats, not bad but needs resetting every few months.
cheers wanto, was looking at the ripcurl cortez on this website
http://www.nextag.com/Watches--a-Strap+ ... 6z5---html
anyone have any opinions on type of band?
i have lost a few watches in the surf that have been the freestyle type with velcro band, never tried stainless

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:51 pm

i got stainless steel band, never broke it. never comes loose.

Kalian

Post by Kalian » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:59 pm

I bought a cortez with rubber armband from the rip curl store in Kuta recently (was a bit cheaper than in oz but not alot) and have had no trouble whatsoever with it.

It's always good knowing exactly what tide you are at with a quick glance and even the moon phase helps with the night fishing.

All up bloody beautiful

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:00 pm

Only problem ive had with my stainless steel one is the pin connecting the watch face to the band came out once in the surf. Luckily it was small and glassy and i found the watch but not the pin. (cost 50c to get new one). Dunno how or why it came out and never had the problem since.

Anyone know where you can get just a plain tide/sunrise/set chart? Im assuming just a surfstore should have one?

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:30 pm

I got the Rip Curl Rincon with a rubber strap for my Birthday just about 2 weeks ago.

It looks better in real life.

I wanted an analogue one as I'm not that fond of digital but the features were just too good to ignore. The digital ones have a database of 200 beaches around the world up till 2020. Plus you can check what the tide will be in the future with it, you can't really do those things with the analogue one.

The strap is pretty heavy duty and there is a tab on the tongue that would stop the strap from falling off if the buckle broke.

As for keeping the tide, I"ve checked it frequently against the tide charts from http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/docs/tidetable07-08.pdf and it's usually good to within about 20 minutes. You can adjust for your beach by using an offset and customising it but I find for the Northern Beaches it helps to just leave it on "Manly" sometimes it can be up to 20 minutes off but more often it's spot on.

You can't complain really that's pretty accurate for a surfers purpose I suppose. Plus the tidal range indicator is handy and quite accurate and the moon phase is displayed at the top too.

My only real gripe with the watch is the American date format. It's Month/Day/Year and I don't think there is a way of changing that. Other than that it's a great watch and one of the cheapest and nicest looking ones out of the digital selection.[/img]
Last edited by FishStick on Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:30 pm

Revolution wrote:Only problem ive had with my stainless steel one is the pin connecting the watch face to the band came out once in the surf. Luckily it was small and glassy and i found the watch but not the pin. (cost 50c to get new one). Dunno how or why it came out and never had the problem since.

Anyone know where you can get just a plain tide/sunrise/set chart? Im assuming just a surfstore should have one?
cheers fellas
dammit, i have a chart of sunset sunrise times on my work desk wall.
i think someone off realsurf gave me the link.
just a sec ill find it
http://www.elders.com.au/
http://www.ga.gov.au/geodesy/astro/sunrise.jsp#enter
not sure where to get a combined chart.
oh actually yeah, in my car theres a fishing tide guide. brb

ok its the 2008 the great outdoors tide guide nov1 2007 to dec 31 2008
its bright orange with sunrise/sunset up the front, fishing rigs and pics of fish in the middle and moon/tide at the back.
you can find them at tackle shops for 4.95 and it fits into a pocket

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:33 am

FishStick wrote:I got the Rip Curl Rincon with a rubber strap for my Birthday just about 2 weeks ago.
cheers fishstick
happy berfday fr two weeks ago

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:43 am

Waste of money, why u need a watch to tell you the tides? You can get tides and sunrise times from BoM.

christian
regular

Post by christian » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:12 pm

definately go nixon tide watches.
i have had mine for about two years, have not had to set the tide once, has heaps of different zones aroudn the world you can check the future tide, good alarm. oh yeah and its copped a beating like no other.
so yeah definately worth a look.

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:45 pm

Nappy wrote:Waste of money, why u need a watch to tell you the tides? You can get tides and sunrise times from BoM.
You don't always have access to a phone/internet/tide chart/newspaper but one thing you'll never forget is your watch as it's strapped to you. :wink: It's especially handy for unexpected quick surf/camping trips up and down the coast.

I can't begin to remember how many times I've wondered what the tide was doing because I forgot to check the charts.
marcus wrote: cheers fishstick
happy berfday fr two weeks ago
No worries, thanks.

Burger
Grommet

Post by Burger » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:31 pm

I had a Rip Curl tide watch with a rubber band, after 1 year the salt had got to it and the rubber just fell apart.

poostance
Grommet

Post by poostance » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:46 pm

have a nixon superhero. does the job nicely. about $350.

Faniel
regular

Post by Faniel » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:51 pm

Hi all,
just wondering, am in the market for a tide watch, analogue for the classic look, prefer steel band. anyone got any more suggestions or input?
Cheers

beachpoint

Post by beachpoint » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:09 am

On my 3rd ripcurl ats in 2.5 years.The first one lasted 18 months and just stopped. Thought it was the battery.it wasnt. They replaced it under warranty(keep you reciept). The 2nd one done the same thing 12 months later and they replaced it again. Each replacement watch is a different stlye as it seems they change them every summer. If your watch does stop and you think it is the battery, you have to send it to ripcurl or void your warranty

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:50 am

Nappy wrote:You can get tides and sunrise times from BoM.
He can’t find a wrist mounted ’puter.

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:22 am

I've got the Nixon titanium Superhero with about 300 tides worldwide...it seems to be a bloody tough watch so far with a double locking claps so if feels safe as houses on your wrist whilst surfing..