tide watches

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Waffler

Post by Waffler » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:31 pm

I've had issues with my ATS also. First two of the 8 screws fell out, and the other 6 rusted. For a watch that is supposed to be titanium, i was a little suprised.
I sent the watch back to Rip Curl, and three weeks later i got a call from the shop syaing that they had sent the watch back as only the missing screws have been replaced, and not the rusted ones, another three weeks later i got the watch back.
The watch is now 18 months old and the functions go out when the light is depressed. I have been told that i can expect a month for return once the watch has been sent, recieved, quoted and returned.
I tried a local jeweller from a National chain, but don't have the instruments to fix it.
Anyways, that my b!tch.
I hope that your expereinces with the watch are better.

Waffler

Re: tide watches

Post by Waffler » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:38 am

Further to the issues previously posted about my Rip Curl watch, ie. screws falling, screws rusting, and dead battery, they lost my watch for a week when it went down for a battery replacement and spent hours on the phone to them and Aus Post to find out who had it.

When it retuned, the compass still didn't work. I decided that it the compass was no big deal, as i wasn't an English packpacker going walking in the Blue Mountains.

Recently it started to fog up and the rubber band had perished. So this time i sent it back via my local surf shop for a service and new band. The watch has now been with Rip Curl for 5 weeks, and I am told that a new shipment of bands is not due until the first week of next month!!!

So essentially, it'll be 9 weeks until i get the watch back.....!!!!

The surf shop has been most apologetic, but it shouldn't be for them for apologize on behalf of poor service from Rip Curl.

What a lemon.

I wouldn't recommend buying one.

Read the paper, look it up on your Iphone, PC, or chart from your local surf or fishing shop.

Da Duke
regular

Post by Da Duke » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:24 pm

I've got the Quiksilver DEEP 300 tide watch. Got given it at work a couple of years ago so can't complain. Tide info is spot on but the thing's pretty hefty. Later models might be lighter. Worth considering if you like the look of em.

http://www.watchesgiant.com/qudeswa.html

Wingnut
regular

Re:

Post by Wingnut » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:30 pm

poostance wrote:have a nixon superhero. does the job nicely. about $350.
I've been through about a half dozen Superhero's as the analogue & digital time keep running out of sync. Nixon just keep replacing them....

If I bought another watch I'd go a Citizen Eco IMO.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:46 pm

Waffler wrote:Further to the issues previously posted about my Rip Curl watch, ie. screws falling, screws rusting, and dead battery, they lost my watch for a week when it went down for a battery replacement and spent hours on the phone to them and Aus Post to find out who had it.

When it retuned, the compass still didn't work. I decided that it the compass was no big deal, as i wasn't an English packpacker going walking in the Blue Mountains.

Recently it started to fog up and the rubber band had perished. So this time i sent it back via my local surf shop for a service and new band. The watch has now been with Rip Curl for 5 weeks, and I am told that a new shipment of bands is not due until the first week of next month!!!

So essentially, it'll be 9 weeks until i get the watch back.....!!!!

The surf shop has been most apologetic, but it shouldn't be for them for apologize on behalf of poor service from Rip Curl.

What a lemon.

I wouldn't recommend buying one.

Read the paper, look it up on your Iphone, PC, or chart from your local surf or fishing shop.
i have this watch, ill keep your issues in mind, hope it doesn't happen to me.
thanks for the review
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Hano
Local

Re: Re:

Post by Hano » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:22 pm

Wingnut wrote:
If I bought another watch I'd go a Citizen Eco IMO.
nice looking watch, but the citizens don;t have a tide/moon function.

i had a rip curl tidemaster about 20 years ago, had it for about three years before the pin snapped whilst surfing. was a great watch.

the range and brands of tidal watches available seem to be very limited
i'd of thought the nautical and fishing mobs (shimano) would've had a niche for them

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:29 pm

Hano wrote: the range and brands of tidal watches available seem to be very limited
i'd of thought the nautical and fishing mobs (shimano) would've had a niche for them
same here
my fishing mates think my watch is pretty fancy.

so what happens when an old tide watch runs out of its programmed dates?
an old one of mine in a drawer, a ripcurl oceantide, with a broken band and flat battery, can it be renewed or fixed to still give today's tide even though it ran out of tide info in 2005 or thereabouts?

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:48 pm

marcus wrote:
Hano wrote: the range and brands of tidal watches available seem to be very limited
same here

an old one of mine in a drawer, a ripcurl oceantide, with a broken band and flat battery, can it be renewed or fixed to still give today's tide even though it ran out of tide info in 2005 or thereabouts?

You can get copies of tide tables for all of OZ coast adjusted for the next WTF decades. I think Navy Hydro has some on sale.

EkKa

Post by EkKa » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:04 pm

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:19 pm

marcus wrote:
same here

what are the chances it's cyclical, and in say 23 years your watch will be spot on again

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:46 pm

daryl wrote:
marcus wrote:
same here

what are the chances it's cyclical, and in say 23 years your watch will be spot on again
I engaged the same logic once. I was in jail for 22 years and thought that the guards would steal my watch...so for 22 long years I kept that watch in the only place they couldn't find it... Now it just tells me when I need to take a crap.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:02 pm

The whole post on the matter is a mutual masturbatorium. Tides vary all over OZ and the world and if any fool buys one of these POS they just show what mindless consumers they are.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:35 pm

The whole post on the matter is a mutual masturbatorium. Tides vary all over OZ and the world and if any fool buys one of these POS they just show what mindless consumers they are.
Boom Tish ... the surf companies sell mediocre watches at exorbitant prices ... buy a decant watch.
And start learning to follow weather patterns and moon phases ... Lazy Knunts.

:cry:
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:11 pm

puurri wrote: Tides vary all over OZ and the world
you’re kidding me Captain!

not sure how critical tide movements are for you frisbee enthusiasts but there’s plenty of reefs around that are only workable for an hour either side of high or low.

hmmm if I had a dollar for every time I asked someone where the tide was at…

monkey
regular

Post by monkey » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:04 pm

I've had Rip Curl ATS Ocean Search for about a year.
Generally its ok but like others, the light has been dodgey and it has reset itself about 5 times, so I have to go back in and change the tide info. Love the compass though, feel like I'm on an adventure when I check that it's 230 degrees NNE to get the morning paper.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:22 pm

puurri wrote:The whole post on the matter is a mutual masturbatorium. Tides vary all over OZ and the world and if any fool buys one of these POS they just show what mindless consumers they are.
Puurri
the tide watches have many of the worlds surfing spots programmed into them.
I disagree totally with regards to mutual masturbatorium.
looking at this watch, set for my local beach after scrolling through a list of main ones, or set for another spot that can be set manually, i can see all the info that is on a tide chart, yet its on my wrist.

kayak fishing off Newcastle harbor nobbies reefs the other day, i used the tide time to help return to the harbor using the incoming tide to save paddling effort. anywhere i am i can see what the tide is doing for most of the main places of surfing in the world.

tide going up or down, what height for low and high etc and can check any date well into the future.

Puurri, in all respect, For you they may be a piece of shit, you may be able to look out the window and see the tide, or feel it in your bones or some other way, but for me, it helps me plan my day, at the look at my wrist.

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:45 am

My analogue ripcurl tidemaster has been going since September 1996 - $350 back then - money well spent, it's looking a bit tired but has had a long and tough life with one or two battery changes. has a stainless band and no buttons - just the usual screwdown crown bit so nothing really to go wrong and swiss movement. go analgue with no extras and you can't really go wrong.

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:47 am

there seems to be a lot of knuckle draggers on this thread, me, Monkey and Burger all have simian pics or names.... :shock: