Buttons

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:25 pm

Beanpole wrote:Probably Larry Bertlman. I remember Reno sporting some in OZ as well. Yeh, Dane was a powerful surfer and one of the few Hawaiians to give the pro curcuit a serious bash. I know someone who had a blue with him at D-Bah. Not a good move :roll:
Yeh it was bertleman, but Reno and James J wore them too.

Was lucky enough to have Reno, Dane and Hans hederman stay at my house when I was a grommet.

Buttons was way way ahead of his time, and for crew to think he wasn't, imo, just don't have a good eye for surfing.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:42 pm

The summer crew on the South Shore of the 1970s -- Dane, Bertlemann, Liddell, Buttons, and later Louie Ferreira and Vince Klyn -- turned surfing on its head for anyone who watched 'em. MR for one was honoured to be able to surf with and learn from 'em. Dane was the most powerful, Larry was the most showmanlike, but Buttons was the best of that crew, the most innovative surfer in the world for a couple of years there 1975-77, f**ken unbelievable surfing imagination, and remained superlative for a long time after that. One of the funnest humans to surf with IMO, he always brought a great vibe into sessions -- not a mellow I love the world bs vibe, but a let's-RIP! let's-ALL-RIP! type of thing that never failed to fire you up. His enjoyment of surfing was palpable. He was still ripping in the 90s and I had a few classic surfs with him at Sunset during that period. He invented that ridiculous saying "Pu Insai!" that you see on bumper stickers in Hawaii, or did for a while -- it's a pidgination of "pull inside!"

Poor bastard had a lot of issues with the substances, was in and out of the clink and such like, so he never got much backing in the '90s Soul Bulls**t Rebirth, other than from Da Hui and from Local Motion who'd make him boards whenever he wanted.

salty got no idea how the f**k you got Buttons mixed up with Wayne Lynch, talk about polar opposites.

Glide
regular

Post by Glide » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:36 pm

Love Buttons surfing. Exciting, powerful and ahead of its time.

He gets a bit of backing from Gravity Skateboards these days, him and Bertleman have a pro model and have for a few years I think.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:44 pm

wanto wrote:^^ hahah please elaborate
Apparently this involved a dispute along the lines of-I'm a red neck local from just down the road so who do you think you are coming here to an internationally renowned beach break in a major tourist area and ripping the waves apart just because you can surf ten times better than I can and your a big Hawaiian guy.

Followed by lights out.

The guy grows bananas out around Sleepy Hollow these days. :roll:
Still got a chip on his shoulder the last time I crossed paths with him in the surf.
Ah, locals.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:59 am

oldman wrote:Yes, that's right, a wetsuit with flares, a la the 1970's flared jeans, and yes it would have been taken in the 70's some time.

If my memory serves me correctly it was Buttons!
Hi oldman with the flared wettie it was Reno who was wearing them at Bells in the early 70's.............. :wink:

And yes Mr Bean you would not want to upset Dane. I first meet him when Micheal Ho and Vince Klyn would stay at my place for the Coke contests. First impression was of a gorilla when he came around to go for a wave one morning. :shock: :lol: