A.P.E.C.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

The Dan
Local

A.P.E.C.

Post by The Dan » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:13 pm

In country characterised by its wide open expanses of vacant land, was it really nessesary to have the meeting in the middle of Australia's busiest city?

Or in the age of technology, why not everyone just stay home and have a nice video- conferenced chat?

Idiots I tells ya, Idiots

Boozer
barnacle

Re: A.P.E.C.

Post by Boozer » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:00 pm

The Dan wrote:In country characterised by its wide open expanses of vacant land, was it really nessesary to have the meeting in the middle of Australia's busiest city?

Or in the age of technology, why not everyone just stay home and have a nice video- conferenced chat?

Idiots I tells ya, Idiots
No, no, no.

This is a great opportunity to get the kiddies together and spend a great family day out.

Pack 'em into the 4WD, drive like a dickhead and get your arse into the city. Parking will be no worry. Park it anywhere. Pedestrian crossings are best.

Don't pack a lunch. There's maccas and any other crap you could think of. As long as you don't need to make an effort as parents.

There might be a few rowdy types around, but that's OK. No worse than Parramatta Station or a bulldogs' footy game.

Go tell George W how much we love him and how grateful we are for the seppos saving our arse in WWII. (just don't mention the Brisbane Line)

Have a great day and God bless ya.

martyy
Grommet

Post by martyy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:29 am

it was meant to be in canberra in the 1st place. wasnt it :?:

smackthatlip
regular

Post by smackthatlip » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:00 am

Not sure if it was mean't to be in Canberra? Would have made more sense though. Will be going to the rally in the city next Saturday. Should be fairly interesting. Out of there as soon as it gets violent though. I won't be working at the airport anymore if I get arrested! I have my views on Howard/ Bush and co. but choose to express them in a non-violent manner. Anyone else going to any of the rallies?

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:06 am

I might take my car in and get arrested for hubristic behaviour: mocking the "gods" of APEC. (you seen it butts and iggy, eh)

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:39 pm

it's pretty much a revival of the medieval royalty/minion societies. don't be so naive as to assume your opinion makes any difference when votes are bought and sold.

ether
regular

Post by ether » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:05 pm

I still can't quite believe that they're setting up a private zoo on Garden Island for the partners of the APEC participants. The decadence is pretty offensive I reckon.

And combined with the brazen approach to squashing any democratic protest - seemingly without regard to how peaceful it might be - it starts to look a little sinister.

zander2nd
regular

Post by zander2nd » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:11 pm

who really cares?it means a day off?if only there were waves none of you would be complaining!!!

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:42 pm

^^^Well for starters, it will cost some people a lot of money.

A colleague is expecting a $20 000 (gross) loss of takings during the week. What it means in profit I dont know, but regardless, it's a big hit for a small business owner. What does he gain from it? A day off....big doop. It's looking like it's gonna be onshore on Friday anyway.

Beyond the monetary concerns there's the principle of the matter. George Dubya wouldn't dare shut down Los Angeles or New York to host a meeting of this type. So why are we? Like Dan said, we have Canberra. It was built for these swanky soiree's. Use it! Doesn't Canberra mean 'meeting place' in the local dialect? F*cken 'meet' down there.

Or hold a video conference.

And Johnny H, the little turd, dared call Sydneysiders churlish for being upset about it. The arrogant liitle shit! Most Sydneysiders are against it, so as far as I can see it's the first time he's disregarded a poll when making a decision. Pity for him that it'll be one that people remember, and so close to an election.

They are spending our money! If directors of a private company wanna lash out on extravagant entertainment, well, good one em; it's their money. But this is our money! A private fireworks show? A private zoo? Police. Security. A concrete fence? What was the total cost? I heard $500 million and I wouldn't be suprised if that was right. The motives of the meeting aren't my issue. The issue is this could all have been done without disruption at a fraction of the cost if it was done elsewhere.

Another show of arrogance from a party that has been in power too long and thinks they have free reign.

oldo_nicho
regular

Post by oldo_nicho » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:20 pm

I totally agree that this should be held somewhere like Canberra... I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it the other day Reefy, but it's true...

Though lets face it, Canberra isn't the most picturesque of cities! And old Johnny needs a place that he can show off to his ruling class buddies...

Ivan

Post by Ivan » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:18 pm

If I got it right, one of the main topics for a discussion, costing $300-500M is the climate change agenda. Logic killer here is that the proposed $1bn+ Tasmanian pulp mill is kinda set to do the opposite.
Oh, and also pipeline from the mill is estimated to deliver 30*10^9 liters of outfall into Bass Strait yearly.

macgreggor
regular

Post by macgreggor » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:52 pm

And please sir, could we have beds and equipment in our hospital system.

Iluminati=greed

lizard king
Grommet

Post by lizard king » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:51 am

Hey ... I've got a great idea ....why don't we buy a water cannon! and while we are at it...why don't we bring in a big ice breaker, place it just around the corner so that we can lock up any agitators... that will be fun!! :evil:

evil men with evil deeds!!

Hey I've got an even better idea...why don't they spend the security budget alone 120 million?? on public schools and the childrens hospital, oops sorry it may help someone..

these guys really Sh*t me...

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:05 am

wanto wrote:it's pretty much a revival of the medieval royalty/minion societies. don't be so naive as to assume your opinion makes any difference when votes are bought and sold.
Revival? Not sure that it was ever any different wanto. Just seems a ludricous waste of money in this day and age.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:35 am

maybe i'm being naive, but i don't remember big wigs being wined and dined on tax payer dollars so openly and oppressively in the 70's 80's or 90's ??

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:41 am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/its ... 30843.html

^^^^^

don't you think the biggest protest now would be to not protest? total indifference, no body to rattle the 10 foot cage, 1000 cops with nothing to do. impossible, i know, but ....

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:50 am

I wanted to add to this but find I have no words...just hope everyone in Australia remembers this come the election, and are aware just why it is that the current Govt has chosen Sydney, despite the colossal cost and quite offensive exclusion of the citizenry ... because Johnny had hoped this would be his electoral kick over the line.

I truly hope it is the exact opposite.