Jump Rock, Maximum Security: Council Wastes Money

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:39 pm

Nick-W wrote:I remember a news article about a guy that was body surfing a shorey somewhere (think it was around the Bra) then successfully sued the council because lifeguards did not remove him from the water. He bumped his head on the sand and is a paraplegic, sucks to be him, but legal action takes any sympathy away.

O ye, the life guards had signs up about the hazards and had asked him to get out. He still won.
It was Bondi Nick, if it was the same one I am thinking about. He swam outside the flags and may have been intoxicated at the time.

He lost a lot of the original award on appeal, I think.

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:52 pm

Nick-W wrote:I remember a news article about a guy that was body surfing a shorey somewhere (think it was around the Bra) then successfully sued the council because lifeguards did not remove him from the water. He bumped his head on the sand and is a paraplegic, sucks to be him, but legal action takes any sympathy away.

O ye, the life guards had signs up about the hazards and had asked him to get out. He still won.

Why are we being paid to make mistakes?
Similar thing happened a few years ago up The Entrance way , A bloke ignored all the danger signs etc & jumped off a rock , f&^*ed it up & ended up in a wheel chair.He then sued Wyong Council for not taking more measures to protect the public.Can't remember if he won or not but it is the handout mentality these days.... none of these knobs want to be responsible for their own actions !! It pisses me off !!!!

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:03 pm

One of those cases he won $6mill then council appealed and it was overturned, but council didn't chase back monees already handed over for medical expenses.

Dangerous president. Could I claim for last months fin chop which has deprived me of the capacity to earn money, because the lifeguards @ Manly failed to stop swimmers from swimming outside the flags which resulted in the collision with another board and the subsiquent injury?

Floyd
regular

Post by Floyd » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:31 pm

dam thats shit, dont really go there often but its a shame to see it go

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:43 pm

man thats pretty lame to be honest.
i've had wicked fun at jump rock over the years, and at manly wharf when the ferries come in. now you're not supposed to do either.
jump rock isnt dangerous at all if you've got some common sense. seen some great dives there over the years, double backflips and the like.

anyways, that sucks.

pooshkie
regular

Post by pooshkie » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:50 pm

what a fucking discrace. dont expect that fence to last long.
the bigger it is the harder it falls.
this place has kept hundreds of us entertained including me and my mates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlOYdkEVQ08

SAVE JUMPROCK!!

puurri
Owl status

jump rock

Post by puurri » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:32 pm

FFS,

Manly Council has a continuing '"risk averse" policy to its landholdings. In short they have a study into potential liability lawsuits on council owned (CCM) abt 04. I understand the "consultant" recommended all identified "risky" sites be quarantined and any potential areas be in particular be given "protection" from any unidentified potential threats; that is the implied policy to give every significant landscape a concrete veneer to replicate parts of Europe; may as well many of you mob return to your respective homelands and assimilate eh? (irony) During this (abt 2004) an identified Aboriginal site on NPWS (AHIMS) database site was trashed by Council on their "threat analysis". Council was not prosecuted by DECC (ex Ntl Pks) despite ample evidence that the site was known as such from a study done abt 1994 and as they knew as such the Council was admittedly implying knowledge and therefore openly culpable.

And you lot piss and moan!!
GFR

special_k
regular

Re: jump rock

Post by special_k » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:55 pm

puurri wrote:FFS,

Manly Council has a continuing '"risk averse" policy to its landholdings. In short they have a study into potential liability lawsuits on council owned (CCM) abt 04. I understand the "consultant" recommended all identified "risky" sites be quarantined and any potential areas be in particular be given "protection" from any unidentified potential threats; that is the implied policy to give every significant landscape a concrete veneer to replicate parts of Europe; may as well many of you mob return to your respective homelands and assimilate eh? (irony) During this (abt 2004) an identified Aboriginal site on NPWS (AHIMS) database site was trashed by Council on their "threat analysis". Council was not prosecuted by DECC (ex Ntl Pks) despite ample evidence that the site was known as such from a study done abt 1994 and as they knew as such the Council was admittedly implying knowledge and therefore openly culpable.

And you lot piss and moan!!
GFR

The hyprocrasies and inefficiencies of these right-wing militant councils is shockingly evident everywhere. Three tiers of government is bullshit wastage. Merge the state and local and run a less draconian tier complete with some sensitivity and education. Fuc.king council c.unts. They fuc.ken suck! :twisted:

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:14 pm

pooshkie wrote:what a **** discrace. dont expect that fence to last long.
the bigger it is the harder it falls.
this place has kept hundreds of us entertained including me and my mates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlOYdkEVQ08

SAVE JUMPROCK!!
19 seconds has gotta suck :!: i did similar thing my first attempt but off the small one. Feel sorry for the guy :shock:

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:09 pm

Im very delighted and happy to see the reaction on this thread. We should do some Save Jumprock thing. We could print off shirts like you see with "Save Ferris" at BDO's and the like. Print off stickers, write to Manly Council or simply just rip the muthafucker down!

I was just getting comfortable doing 1 and a halfs. :cry: :x :cry:

Please inform your friends who may be affected by this wrong doing. Its sad to see something from your childhood go like this. Im 27 and i still love it...

bringbackmacca
regular

Post by bringbackmacca » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:37 pm

used to always hitup the place when i lived at davidson. that fence is gunna have to be removed! has anyone tried jumping from the top of the new fence? its probly added another 5 feet onto the fall.

Curly_Cat
Grommet

Post by Curly_Cat » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:19 pm

isnt it heritage listed near jump rock?
so therefore they shouldnt be able to put up eyesores like that thing,
im will be surprised if it lasts longer than a month actually i wouldnt be surprised to see it but down by the end of this week.
anyway for the time being we will just have to go to warriewood blowhole which is bigger & has caused more rescues/injuries than jump rock!
oh yeah should'nt a mayor of a community be born & bred in the community? i mean henry wong doesnt seem like a manly name, he probably lives in chatswong so he doesnt have to put up with copping flack from the gay decisions he makes.
whats next non alcoholic beer at the steyne?
muhahahahahha
Curly Rules

The Oracle
regular

Post by The Oracle » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:50 am

When I first read about the fence I thought yeah no worries, climb over it or whatever, I didn't realise how full-on it was till I saw the Manly Daily picture. But fark me, that's not just any old fence is it?! They would've need Department of Planning approval to put that thing up!

My first jump was a New Years Eve, was having a few quiet ones down at Little Manly when a jump was suggested. Such a simple thing but such a mad rush! Got my brother up there the next day after the early and he had a crack at it too - stuffed it up and hit the water in a sitting position, gotta love that sting up the back of the thighs. I'll never forget his yell as he broke the surface on the way back up!

But I'm sure we've all got memories like that. And Coops nailed it when he talked about it being a thrill for all ages, it's something that doesn't get old.

We'll find a way to overcome it, for some reason blokes just love jumping from heights into water. (Sidetrack - I recently went to Hamilton Island, we rented a house there and the first thing I saw when I walked in was the balcony overlooking the pool. It was just begging to be jumped off so obviously I complied. You just can't help yourself right? I know you're all nodding along with me....)

Soooo....anyone jumped off the fence yet?

The Oracle
regular

Post by The Oracle » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:51 am

Perhaps we've just decided the venue of the next RS barbie? Jump Rock Manly, don't forget the steaks, beer and hacksaws....

Local

Post by 2260 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:08 am

At Norah head, which shaunm is talking about it was Ernest Vairy. He originally won 11M, council appealed, was halved. Then fought hard to get it reduced to 2 or 3M.

still here
charger

Post by still here » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:02 am

What a pathetic country this has become !

The stupid thing is that someone will just jump off the fence anyway and probably impale themselves or land on a rock as a result of the stupid fence .

How long before the fence is vandalised and how much cost to ratepayers ???/??

A ratepayer referendum on the matter would surely have saved the jump rock ?? Or would it ?

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:56 am

A mate of mine whom i can only describe as mentally challenged reckons he did a back flip off it the other night. He used to race MX bikes and is probably one of the most f-cked up people i know.

For those that like there spinal column intake and have a dislike for councils and/or stuffy old laws instigated by geriatric fun police may i suggest you get a car jack.
P.S this will work for a number of barred premises. Insert car jack between bars. Wind up car jack all the way up till bars wide enough to climb through. Diagonal cross bar wont stop widening process. Best done late at night on a rainy weekday....and enjoy :D

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:12 pm

backflip off jump rock... or the railing :shock: