Nias

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

lovenutz
regular

Nias

Post by lovenutz » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:36 am

Just wondering if anyone has been to Nias lately?
havent been before and was thinking about going in sept/oct.
whats the winds like there that time of year? is there any infrastrucutre after the Tsunami? all i want is a bed and mozzie net really.

what are the other waves near by like? I heard the left "machine" is out of the water. what about Asu and Bawa? any advice or infor would be good

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:01 pm

heya lovenutz.

the infrastructure is all good now. heaps of work done. plenty of places to stay, and the bar is full operational 8)

the winds tend to be fine at that time of year, don't worry about that.

The reef is shallower now, and the smaller days wall up better and are hollower. you used to have to surf the inside break, but not any more.

"the machine" is kaput! Indicators is pretty much kaput! [unless you like coral up your a$$]

Asu is shorter now, but still worth it. And Bawa is still sick.

Afulu is kaput!

there's a couple of other average rights near Lagundri, but I didn't see them last time. So not sure if they are ok.

And north of Nias is also largely kaput.

But Lagundri itself, is worth every penny, especially if you get it sizey. mmmmm

I went 12 months ago btw.

rabbity7
regular

Post by rabbity7 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:02 pm

WAHWAHWEEWAH :D

ether
regular

Post by ether » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:17 pm

And crowd factor these days?

lovenutz
regular

Post by lovenutz » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:23 pm

just about to ask........

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Im off in July. Hopefully make our way up to Nias. Mate went there last year and said the is def crowds.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:49 pm

up to a solid 8 ft there is a crew. but after a few days you will fall into the rhythm, get to know crew, and paddle out at certain times. other crew respect it, and unless there is a couple of arrogant aussies there you will get waves. :wink:

same old same old, sit out a a few sets, and aim for a couple of stingers a session, and "that'll do".

OVER a solid 8 ft and you can pretty much take whatever you want, if you are willing to go. if it is crowded, which i doubt at that size, keep an eye on the inside ones, they smoke. but you will pay when the bigger sets hit. my best wave ever there was one of these ones.

oh, ringmaster that piccie has me booking a ticket

8)

me
Grommet

Post by me » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:32 pm

went that time for 5 weeks last year. getting to dodgy winds by that time of year.but that being said winds in indo last year where somewhat fickle by their normal standards.go overland form bali and its a cvnt of a trip, flyings a hell of a lot easier