BOM issues tsunami warming for east coast OZ!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:55 am

Damage wrote:Listening to 702 and keeping an eye on the online SMH one can't help but feel that we are currently in the midst of a nice piece of classical hysteria and uninformed semi-panic. :o

Better to be safe than sorry sure, but it sort of exposes that there is no co-ordinated central body that knows exactly what is going on and is able to pass on the appropriate info to those that need to know.

More like key-stone cops. Heaven help us when something massive actually does happen.

Gonna be a schemozzle methinks. :shock:
That's what I was getting at with my first post

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:59 am

Damage wrote:Listening to 702 and keeping an eye on the online SMH one can't help but feel that we are currently in the midst of a nice piece of classical hysteria and uninformed semi-panic. :o

Better to be safe than sorry sure, but it sort of exposes that there is no co-ordinated central body that knows exactly what is going on and is able to pass on the appropriate info to those that need to know.

More like key-stone cops. Heaven help us when something massive actually does happen.

I don't get the same impression from what's being reported on TV, they have only been using BOM reports and speaking with the BOM spokesmen directly. It's more of a regular 15 minute update sort of thing going on at this point.
However it may get out of hand tonight when Naomi Robson gets her chance.

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:03 am

surfin39 wrote:

I don't get the same impression from what's being reported on TV, they have only been using BOM reports and speaking with the BOM spokesmen directly. It's more of a regular 15 minute update sort of thing going on at this point.
However it may get out of hand tonight when Naomi Robson gets her chance.
Can just see it now ...Mike Munro on a beach with Okanui's on , Mambo shirt, zinc ala Warney on the nose, a 10 ft mal in the background & a pair of floaties on, doing a live cross for effect !!!!

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:05 am

Bear is off to Coogee for and eight foot surf....

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:08 am

I am currently at channel 9 in a edit suite watching Simon Boda in a chopper over the northern beaches. It is strange but they got all excited at the prospect of a big news story and there is a air of dissappoinment since nothing is really happenning. :?

mpaineau

Post by mpaineau » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:09 am

I created my web page (link above) about the tsunami hazard to Sydney in 1998, partly out of frustration with the local Federal MP ("Bronny") who ignored/dismissed my concern that our coast is vulnerable and there is no civil preparedness. I just watched a Ch7 interview with a reporter in Cairns confirms that concern, with the road up to the Tablelands being blocked by traffic, mums grabbing children out of school class while tourists stayed on the beachfront unaware of any risk. I expect the same along the entire coast.

Time to get our act together!

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:11 am

my bro in cairns just emailed to say absolutely stuff all has happened up that way...so far...

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:13 am

Was just down at NN and swear I spotted KK sitting patiently, about 2km out to sea.

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:14 am

Gotta say, it's the emptiest I've seen the Superbank in a loooong time - only seventy guys out at the moment.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:23 am

Damage wrote:Was just down at NN and swear I spotted KK sitting patiently, about 2km out to sea.
He’s just taking his poodle ‘Sybil’ on a training run on the new paddle board. :wink: :D

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:11 pm

:shock: Well what do you know :shock: all threat now gone , nothing doing.TT & ACA to run with the dodgy TV repairman / salmonella risk stories tonight

sydney
barnacle

Post by sydney » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:14 pm

Yeah any stories? Was there even a ripple appearing? Has manly and their backpackers finally been wiped off the map?

zander2nd
regular

Post by zander2nd » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:21 pm

i heard that the wave that never breaks is about to break...

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:35 pm

zander2nd wrote:i heard that the wave that never breaks is about to break...
:shock: peace out dude !! :shock:

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:36 pm

...... yeah, but spare a thought for the poor Solomon Islander's , we may be safe and sound but a lot of people there are now homeless and some homes are still underwater.

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:01 pm

If there was a small tsunami, lets say 2m, is it possible to surf it...? Or is it pushing too much water and so it just creates a sort of....i dono, raging white wash.

HairY_SteveN

Post by HairY_SteveN » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:15 pm

Spoon wrote:I am currently at channel 9 in a edit suite watching Simon Boda in a chopper over the northern beaches. It is strange but they got all excited at the prospect of a big news story and there is a air of dissappoinment since nothing is really happenning. :?
ha. typical channel 9. pack of dumbshit useless pricks poluting australian minds with their shithouse reality show programming, lameass gameshows featuring has-been b grade celebrity hosts and the nightly crime scene investigation shows where forensic scientists lead investigations and solve every single one using forensic evidence. even better, they manage to do it in dimly lit labs, without protective clothing to prevent contamination of evidence. of course thats how its done in real life eh. and then theres a current affair, featuring affairs that rank as common occurences dolled up as breaking news, dumbshit reporters who degrade themselves and the reputation of the channel in the name a shitarse story which any one with a brain that continued to develop after the foetal stage would know is the dumbest current affair ever. their whole news repetoire involves reporting on f*ckwit b grade celebrity weddings and hyped up "shark sightings" and theyre always the first dumbf*cks to throw their moneybags into the exclusve story for next big "disaster". eg beaconsfield mine thingo. channel 9 is a bunch of dumbf*ck dickheads.

their reports this morning were nothing short of pathetic. i heard people were taking their kids out of schools near the coast. anyone who believed the crock of shit delivered by channel 9 is a f*ckwit also.