best time to go surfin

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

love the peach

i like surf early
72%
i like surf late
28%

Total votes: 18

Frin
Grommet

Post by Frin » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:26 pm

When I took a year off to go surfing - Monday mornings at around 9am were the best, when I knew that everyone else was dragging themselves to work :lol:

Now that I'm chained to a desk - anytime in the water is good time...

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:34 pm

WANDERER wrote: if I get to DY platform and butts is already there Ive been draggin the chain...
What happened this mornin’ did the sparrow fart? Saw you going the <other> way. :D

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:42 pm

I've always loved the early. Surfing is more than just catching a wave. It's the drive to the beach before dawn, walking out to the viewing spot and straining your eyes to see the line up and then getting kitted up and into the water as the first stirrings of light bleach the eastern horizon.
Add light offshores, with broken cloud low on the horizon that paint colours with the rays of the rising sun.
I remember getting to Snapper once many years ago (way before Superwank) and finding a beautiful lineup of 4 to 6 footers wrapping around the point and peeling off towards Greenmount.
Still pitch dark and I paddled out, settled into the takeoff spot and found eight (count 'em) eight guys had beaten me to the punch.
Having said all that I have had some memorable late afternoon sessions over the years - all the more so because they are generally unexpected.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:15 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
WANDERER wrote: if I get to DY platform and butts is already there Ive been draggin the chain...
What happened this mornin’ did the sparrow fart? Saw you going the <other> way. :D
was there about 6.40, then went to Longy, then went to curly, then went to freshy, then went to maccas, then went to work... ho-hum :( :?

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:36 pm

Done that many times myself on a Fridawn, Wanderer. Real bummer when you drive more than 40 mins.

I'll change my time to anytime!

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:46 pm

stoive wrote:
dammit__01 wrote:Arvo watching the sun set. The way the light on the waves just blend into some super cool way cannot be beaten.

Even better if camping on the beach and you can go into the night until you can no longer see, then crawl onto the beach and into the tent, next to the fire ...ahhhhh. 8)

Night surfs are fun, but only when REALLY well lit by cars or what not...
you wouldnt get down for the early much would you dammit?

the mid arvo sesh is good before all the other groms that didnt have the day off come out

or between 7.20-8 mid winter with all the people going to work gone and only a few left
Im not a morning person :wink: but when its good ill try get down around 7ish... try. Once i get me car ill be down for an early very often with just a quick drive to school and im set for the day 8)

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:53 pm

In summer I have to get up at 4.30 to make the early down south but it is worth it as the darkness slowly turns deep red/orange revealing silohettes of trees and livestock grazing on top of smooth hills and parched farmland. As I get closer I watch out for the way in which the dry grass is being blown and am always pleased to see it bending towards the sea :)

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:57 pm

dammit__01 wrote:
stoive wrote:
dammit__01 wrote:Arvo watching the sun set. The way the light on the waves just blend into some super cool way cannot be beaten.

Even better if camping on the beach and you can go into the night until you can no longer see, then crawl onto the beach and into the tent, next to the fire ...ahhhhh. 8)

the mid arvo sesh is good before all the other groms that didnt have the day off come out

or between 7.20-8 mid winter with all the people going to work gone and only a few left
Im not a morning person :wink: but when its good ill try get down around 7ish... try. Once i get me car ill be down for an early very often with just a quick drive to school and im set for the day 8)
I hope you fail school and end up hooked on perscription drugs like OMP'ers. Bunch of dead beats i tells ya! :o

Moby
Grommet

Post by Moby » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:02 pm

Early...best part of the day.

ether
regular

Post by ether » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:39 pm

A cheeky mid-afternoon wave during work hours just to remind yourself you're not a corporate slave.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:40 pm

Fong, I used to love the early, and I used to love the late, and I got quite fond of the lunch time surf.

Now I just aim for when I can. It seems to work OK

Other favourite time is on holidays.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:49 pm

SAsurfa wrote:In summer I have to get up at 4.30 to make the early down south but it is worth it as the darkness slowly turns deep red/orange revealing silohettes of trees and livestock grazing on top of smooth hills and parched farmland. As I get closer I watch out for the way in which the dry grass is being blown and am always pleased to see it bending towards the sea :)
Magic post SA.

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:57 pm

Butts wrote:Love the colours generated by the back of the wave being lit up in the morning 8) :
yer that is sweet, comming from a deep duck dive ( eyes open ) and submerging into reality :wink:

only bad thing about earlies is the blearing sun,

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:51 pm

When you guys go for earlies before work do you take your suit withyou and just get changed in the carpark after having a cold shower?

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:11 pm

I HATE the morning sun. Unless the break is facing north or south, I seriously hate the glare and stuff. Much prefer the arfternoon when the water is nice, everyone has left and it's just you, the sharks, dolphins and waves.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:54 am

Coops@DY wrote:
dammit__01 wrote:
stoive wrote:

I hope you fail school and end up hooked on perscription drugs like OMP'ers. Bunch of dead beats i tells ya! :o
what are ya on about Coops, Dammit is 22 and still in year 9...

fong

Post by fong » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:08 am

Carpark King wrote:When you guys go for earlies before work do you take your suit withyou and just get changed in the carpark after having a cold shower?
i've been known bolt straight too work 4 a shower :lol: but than again.....me in a suit is a very funny idea :wink: :lol: :lol:

i recken a big secret in winter is too wear u steamer out the house when u go 4 a early....your like...get out there even if it's shit cause your already dressed 4 it :idea:

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:11 pm

^^Yeah and you don't have to get changed out in the freezing cold.