What would you ask 'em? A request

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:08 am

Yeah well I'm gonna ask 'em what's their position on the Chamberess problem.

bro
Local

Post by bro » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:30 am

With respect, can someone please explain the concept of "mass marketing" to me and how that has contributed to the increase of people in the water?

cheers

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:39 am

^^^^^^^
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:39 am

bro wrote:please explain the concept of "mass marketing" to me

AndyTheMan
Grommet

Post by AndyTheMan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:52 am

ric_vidal wrote:
bro wrote:please explain the concept of "mass marketing" to me
Freakin' classic........ mass marketing....the pope.....he he he he!

Obviously the Pope rides a SUP though ....... that is a paddle in his hand isn't it?!?!

Thats a rockin' white steamer he's got on too - bet its warm!

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:08 am

Sorry you took it that way nick, so how many years in multi national corporations have YOU clocked up ?

I'll say it again - You don't speak their language -

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:17 am

Larry wrote:I'll say it again - You don't speak their language -
Does he have to? I thought it was a Q&A.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:19 am

AndyTheMan wrote:
ric_vidal wrote: Image
Obviously the Pope rides a SUP though ....... that is a paddle in his hand isn't it?!?!
yeah ... and who else would wear a hat in the surf .... :wink:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:32 am

Surfin Turf wrote: yeah ... and who else would wear a hat in the surf .... :wink:
I’ll have you know they will be the next big thing ~ VirginSurf

That and Pope on a Rope Soap...

Now where’s Mary :?: (stuff you creased)
Last edited by ric_vidal on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:32 am

Ric, I would be looking at who is not doing the answering - this isn't a royal commission, it' just a PR and marketing feel-up and will probably result in a new line of clothing down the track for the dis-enfranchised amongst us.

Surf journalists are not widely known for their investigative powers, and some of them take onboard a fair measure of self-importance that is directly related to the number of publications they have achieved.

Surfing has been hi-jacked - and they are not about to hand it back

newjackstudio
Grommet

Post by newjackstudio » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:34 am

Mr Larry, if indeed he did speak their language, I doubt very much he would take the slightest interest in anything we have to say.

Personally, I like the idea of someone who DOESN"T speak their language, actually having the opportunity to put forward some questions without the homogenising that generally goes on with any Q and A most corporate bigwigs will allow themselves to be subjected to.

Go Nick.

romak50
regular

Post by romak50 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:38 am

Larry, sure Nick may not have worked in a multinational like these, but if these companies have any sense of appreciating the surf culture they were originally born from, they will listen to Nick and answer the questions - all be it with a bit of a marketing spin.

Question
how often do these companies have to compromise the traditional surf culture they were born from to satisfy the demands of their stakeholders. (if the answer is never they are lying.)

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:40 am

Larry wrote:Sorry you took it that way nick, so how many years in multi national corporations have YOU clocked up ?

I'll say it again - You don't speak their language -
I'll say it again -- don't concern yourself with what I know or don't know -- come up with an intelligent question!

I've been talking with all these guys about their businesses, lives etc for over 25 years ... trying to give you guys a free kick here.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:44 am

Larry wrote:Ric, I would be looking at who is not doing the answering - this isn't a royal commission, it' just a PR and marketing feel-up and will probably result in a new line of clothing down the track for the dis-enfranchised amongst us.

Surf journalists are not widely known for their investigative powers, and some of them take onboard a fair measure of self-importance that is directly related to the number of publications they have achieved.

Surfing has been hi-jacked - and they are not about to hand it back
Could well be Laz, but who really cares, call it cheap research and a back slapping festival full of rah, rah, rah and aren’t we wonderful, powerful, but still approachable.

Having said that, why not let them know that they might be losing some support from what was their core and that some may feel they are big enough to have a more moral and ethical approach to how they derive their billions.

What and how Knickolass does is his business is exactly that, but he offered an opportunity to ask a question and he said he would deliver. I think he is good to his word.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:44 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:If I had Nick's opportunity I would have a sly word with one of them before it kicked off, hit 'em up for some of their famously good quality rack.
come on rr as if I would use drugs.

:wink:

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:55 am

Its obvious, the change of seating in the lunch room of the 'village' has Larry all confused and upset.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:59 am

ok nick - make a list of what you want of these blokes - whether it be cheaper boardshorts or artificial reefs or green surfboards or whatever ( there is enough material on this thread to consider) - Have it fully and independently costed - and when you get to the gig ask the gentlemen on the other side of the table whether they are willing to stump up with any any of it -

I'm going on the presumption here that what you are embarking on here is a negotiation of sorts - its very obvious here that there is a ' us and them ' attitude, in that they have what we once owned.

How about you tell us how you are going to approach the carpetbaggers scribe?

I can only hope that they haven't compromised you already by paying for the trip.

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:23 am

Surely THE QUESTION, not just A question for the multinational surf companies is going to be how they will attend their very successful ocean businesses to the threat of global warming and sea-level rise. (a few here already point this out.) But it won't be a "maybe we'll promote a bit of awareness etc". It's classic threat/opportunity: they WILL be in the spotlight - products, materials used, carbon footprint etc - surfing is a shocker in terms of poor-recyclables, massive use of transportation etc. but then surfing presents itself as providing mass enjoyment of the very thing under threat.

The companies will face a lot of obvious scrutiny, and they will either look like dinosaur irresponsibles, choking the warming oceans with noisy tow-in crews on fluro plastic craft, yearly deluges of 'beach-wear', and generation upon generation of McGrommets, trailing litter as they slouch off to their over-crowded local - or - they'll figure out how to reposition themselves as forward-thinking multi-nationals gearing up for the massive economic changes that are coming.

Er, that was more spleen than question, but it felt good.