Rio Pro 2017 - Saquarema

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Rio Pro 2017 - Saquarema

Post by alakaboo » Mon May 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Lucky Al wrote:i'm disappointed filipe's not in it anymore. he was the only one really ripping.
He was. But he went out in the most Brazilian fashion possible, getting too excited and hassling for everything.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon May 15, 2017 8:26 pm

what happened to Filipe?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon May 15, 2017 8:27 pm

Interference.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon May 15, 2017 8:47 pm

Who with?

Hope she wasn't under age.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Tue May 16, 2017 11:15 pm

How lame is this shit. Like it's written by a computer. They all sound the same.
Toledo had a spit after a minor infringement and gets banned from the next comp?
It's so fcuking vanilla.

"I'm a passionate guy and surfing is my life," said Toledo. "After getting an interference in the third round in Saquarema, I was very upset and my actions after the heat were unacceptable. After cooling down, I realized that I was not myself. I'm very sorry for my behavior. I want to apologize to the fans, my sponsors, the media and WSL. I take full responsibility for my actions and accept my suspension. I am disappointed to miss the next event, but looking forward to returning stronger for Jeffreys Bay. Good luck to everyone in Fiji and thank you all for the continued support."

What he actually meant was -
"fcuk i was so pissed at the judges being cnuts about stuff i had to let off some steam. So they banned me from the next comp. What a bunch of twats. This really puts a hole in my chances for a title. Bunch of cnuts. Next time i'll put a brick through Porters windscreen. Anyone for tennis?"
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed May 17, 2017 12:29 am

Sounds like a typical Brazzer to me

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Wed May 17, 2017 6:08 am

So he was going to "storm the judges tower".
Exciting.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Wed May 17, 2017 6:45 am

holy toledo!
black duck wrote: What he actually meant was -
"fcuk i was so pissed at the judges being cnuts about stuff i had to let off some steam. So they banned me from the next comp. What a bunch of twats. This really puts a hole in my chances for a title. Bunch of cnuts. Next time i'll put a brick through Porters windscreen. Anyone for tennis?"
:lol:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed May 17, 2017 7:32 am

black duck wrote:How lame is this shit. Like it's written by a computer. They all sound the same.

that's how the wsl wants it.

kinda sad
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed May 17, 2017 10:28 am

The WSL goal no doubt is nice clean corporate product with a nice clean corporate image.

Oh, such irony. The anti-establishment, rebel non-sport morphing into clean cut, wholesome american entertainment.

Surfers are conniving in giving away their very heritage :roll:
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed May 17, 2017 10:29 am

Well who else is there? What the fcuk is actually happening there?

There's only like four surf journalists left who actually ever go to any of these events and none of 'em are in Brazil right now. Everybody else just writes about what they see on the broadcast.

Julio? Tell us about Filipe's wig-out! Where was Ricardo?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed May 17, 2017 10:35 am

Serious? Why don't they go Nick?

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Wed May 17, 2017 11:11 am

In the short evolution of surfboard riding I wonder which f***wit was the first one to say "I know what would be better than just surfing with you guys. lets have a contest!"
But then you just know in all probability it had to be the dickhead who was convinced he was the 'best' surfer. Toledo's outburst is just an extension of a compulsion to turn what is of essence a highly singular and individual pursuit to challenge yourself into a highly subjective contest with 'rules' and 'systems' to try to give it credibility. Toledo is absolutely convinced he is the 'best' as are all who compete in anything within the top echelons. Forget any of the humble shit on the podium. Competition will always ultimately bring out the worst human traits of ego even when hidden well.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed May 17, 2017 11:15 am

...,and drive man to his enevitable destruction

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed May 17, 2017 11:20 am

Davros wrote:Serious? Why don't they go Nick?
a) It's lots of money and nobody will pay for the expenses
b) (see above) there is no will in the Western surf media to engage in Brazilian surf culture, and no money to fund it anyway
c) maybe some are like me, i.e. can only stand going to x number of CT events in a year and would rather go to one/s they deem critical to the world title race and where the surf is likely to be good to epic

but most of all!

d) the broadcast swamps everything. The WSL CT broadcast is the most powerful single piece of media in surfing right now. It's pretty much beaten the rest of the surf media into submission when it comes to covering CTs. Someone like me can disrupt that and hopefully give everyone an insight into things beyond the broadcast but that is harder than it looks. You have to get around the WSL for a start, like in order to be standing with Gally and MC during that Bells final a few weeks ago, I had to spend half a day at the beginning of the event annoying WSL staff into giving me a pass that allowed me to be there. Two of us succeeded in obtaining said passes, me and Doherty, and Sean was on the on-beach commentary team. And that's at Bells Beach, the best run and most established Australian professional surfing contest in history, and there's two Australian surf journalists with access.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed May 17, 2017 11:21 am

aaarating wrote:In the short evolution of surfboard riding I wonder which f***wit was the first one to say "I know what would be better than just surfing with you guys. lets have a contest!"
But then you just know in all probability it had to be the dickhead who was convinced he was the 'best' surfer. Toledo's outburst is just an extension of a compulsion to turn what is of essence a highly singular and individual pursuit to challenge yourself into a highly subjective contest with 'rules' and 'systems' to try to give it credibility. Toledo is absolutely convinced he is the 'best' as are all who compete in anything within the top echelons. Forget any of the humble shit on the podium. Competition will always ultimately bring out the worst human traits of ego even when hidden well.
Yeah it was the Hawaiians in the 16th and 17th centuries. They used to have surf contests and bet on them.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed May 17, 2017 11:22 am

I tend to agree with large parts of that but you're going to have to finger the ancient Hawaiians if you want to get to the root of competitive surfing.

I think what makes competitive surfing so polarising is the impact it has on the rest of the recreational surfers (the very vast majority). Locking out and controlling the resource is something that should be severely limited I reckon.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed May 17, 2017 11:34 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Davros wrote:Serious? Why don't they go Nick?
a) It's lots of money and nobody will pay for the expenses
b) (see above) there is no will in the Western surf media to engage in Brazilian surf culture, and no money to fund it anyway
c) maybe some are like me, i.e. can only stand going to x number of CT events in a year and would rather go to one/s they deem critical to the world title race and where the surf is likely to be good to epic

but most of all!

d) the broadcast swamps everything. The WSL CT broadcast is the most powerful single piece of media in surfing right now. It's pretty much beaten the rest of the surf media into submission when it comes to covering CTs. Someone like me can disrupt that and hopefully give everyone an insight into things beyond the broadcast but that is harder than it looks. You have to get around the WSL for a start, like in order to be standing with Gally and MC during that Bells final a few weeks ago, I had to spend half a day at the beginning of the event annoying WSL staff into giving me a pass that allowed me to be there. Two of us succeeded in obtaining said passes, me and Doherty, and Sean was on the on-beach commentary team. And that's at Bells Beach, the best run and most established Australian professional surfing contest in history, and there's two Australian surf journalists with access.

Far out. Surely you want journos to cover the contest, not just a thin veneer via a website. Little wonder its failing.