10 sharkiest waves In Aus

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bombora
Local

Re: 10 sharkiest waves In Aus

Post by bombora » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:09 pm

When was the last fatal shark attack on a surfer in Queensland? Can't remember any off hand. Can;t even remember any serious nibbles????
If we are talking recent attacks, then in general areas, Sydney to north coast NSW stretch, southern WA, and SA are tops. Sydney probably biased by shear numbers in water.
But then again SE QLd is packed with surfers, but no fatalitiies or serious attacks since....................?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:21 pm

None that I know of, bombora.
There was a fatal attack on someone at Amity a few years ago, but not a surfer, and not a surf beach.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:40 pm

I think in the last 10 years a guy swimming in a Gold Coast canal was killed by a shark. Also a girl swimmer at one of the Stradbrokes.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:42 am

We can thank Ben Cropp for neigh on erradicating the grey nurse population of se qland and nth nsw with his powerhead spear guns in the sixties and seventies. The majority of sharks up there were grey nurses and a fairly docile bunch of sharks they were.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:07 am

You'd think that names such as Amity & Coffin Bay would be enough to put people off going into the water. ....... duh duh duh duh ....

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:11 am

A great white lives to about 30 years? no f..en way. 30 years to grow from 1 foot long to 20 foot long? Think about how much mass it puts on to go from 19ft to 20 ft...I reckon they grow big fairly rapidly, and after that get really really big really really slowly

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Biggun wrote:A great white lives to about 30 years? no f..en way. 30 years to grow from 1 foot long to 20 foot long? Think about how much mass it puts on to go from 19ft to 20 ft...I reckon they grow big fairly rapidly, and after that get really really big really really slowly
I'm open to correction, especially if you can quote a more reliable source, but this is from Wikipedia which says:-

"This shark reaches its maturity around 15 years of age and can have a life span of over 30 years."

The question is how much more than 30 years?

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:57 pm

alakaboo wrote:
steve shearer wrote:spitfire banks
Surf spot?

chrisb, whites are thought to live about 70 years.

Still a lot of whites near Tangalooma too. Not that I think it is due to whaling, really. More a question of where the food congregates.
That's why when I snorkel and there are 100's of good sized fish, looking at you garie beach, it feels sharky. Workmate saw a massive bronzey under his board once there, too.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:58 pm

Depends on diet and where it chooses to eat.
People in NZ probably not good for a long lifespan.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

philw
Local

Post by philw » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:57 pm

^^ yes gaerie can feel sharkacious, seen some shark-like thrashing and whatnot in big salmon schools there. I've seen a 4-5ft shark at Stockton and one at blueys. I've also seen one at Bondi. Same year as the attack. Biggest lurking thing was at a somewhat remote central coast spot - about 6-8ft moving not dolphin like - assume it was a shark

Also seen sharks in Fiji, Samoa and Bali - the one in Bali was an aggressive prick. About 5-6ft, brownish colour, chased us out of water

I dunno how guys paddle spots in sa / wa. There's central coast nsw places around catho that just reek of getting chomped, freaks me out being on my own out back, I won't do it

brainhammer

Post by brainhammer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:45 pm

Cat Bay at Phillip Island can get pretty fcuken spooky, murky water and just around the corner from the seal colony.. that and Tallows at Byron, seen enough swimming around there from the lighthouse to put me off that spot...

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:05 pm

Reef shark at Senngigi :roll: :roll:
Was told a shark was out with me at Cabarita one time and had an epic session at surprisingly uncrowded Crescent one time. Told later that a tiger shark had cleared the water just prior to me going out :lol: :lol:

I reckon Budgeoi is really spooky.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:56 am

Beanpole wrote:Reef shark at Senngigi :roll: :roll:
Was told a shark was out with me at Cabarita one time and had an epic session at surprisingly uncrowded Crescent one time. Told later that a tiger shark had cleared the water just prior to me going out :lol: :lol:

So's The Entrance.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:10 pm

daryl wrote:

So's The Entrance.
and Crackneck

turtle
barnacle

Re:

Post by turtle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:27 pm

BB wrote:Surfing Box Head before leg ropes I lost my board and it went all the way into Ocean Beach (it was the biggest I've ever surfed it) and had to swim in. Sharks? Nah there's no sharks around there!

What about Dolphin Point? Bawley? No Toes?

if you look from the back marker at little box directly north you'll see 2 small bays. the second is about 55mtrs deep with a lovely little nursery down the bottom.

clubbies have used this area in the past as a bit of an initiation thing for new blokes joining the boat crews.
signatures, finally got it covered.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:54 pm

chrisb wrote:
daryl wrote:

So's The Entrance.
and Crackneck
The Entrance,..............Harry the hammer head, a big one!
Crack neck, the photog scaring great white.............
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

SurfieC
Local

Post by SurfieC » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:13 pm

Trigg Point. More than 100 sharks.. :shock:

http://www.smh.com.au/wa-news/more-than ... 2gcv1.html

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:20 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.