10 sharkiest waves In Aus

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

BB

Post by BB » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:10 pm

Surfing Box Head before leg ropes I lost my board and it went all the way into Ocean Beach (it was the biggest I've ever surfed it) and had to swim in. Sharks? Nah there's no sharks around there!

What about Dolphin Point? Bawley? No Toes?

AMB
Grommet

Post by AMB » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:11 pm

Been living and surfing SA most of my life and I'm yet to see a shark in the surf, yet... thank fek for that!
Hows your eyesight SD?, either that or u've been very lucky...never seen a shark on the WC, KI or Yorkes!!..i've even seen them @ goolawah..One trip to KI we had to paddle in 3 times at 3 different locations..Cant belive u've never seen one at Dust Bowl harrasing salmon.

for mine based on sightings:

1)Cunns (absolutly never surfing there again)
2)Dustbowl
3)CDc
4)Pt Black
5)Blacks
6)Bullies (never sen one out there but would hate 2..take a while to get in)
7) Shark Alley (see 6)

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:10 am

AMB wrote:
Been living and surfing SA most of my life and I'm yet to see a shark in the surf, yet... thank fek for that!
Cant belive u've never seen one at Dust Bowl harrasing salmon.
Funnily enough I was down there on sunday surfing salmon hole. we were checking rockpools from the carpark and could see a large pack of somethings down the beach. Thought they might be dolphins but as the made their way up past rockpools to the hole didn't see any dolpin-like behaviour... never reall confirmed what the hell they were went out at the hole instead coz it was looking to nice to leave :roll:

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:24 am

The biggest shark I saw was a 5m White Pointer at Brighton Jetty in a 3' stormy, circa '90-91 (only SA people will understand the value of such a surf.. I had taken the day off from school). It had been reported in the news for the previous week, and I was outta there in a flash. Walked up the jetty and saw it chasing salmon for a couple of minutes before it vanished.

Other spots:
Pondi, SA (small shark, no major concern)
Yellow Rock, Vic (6' bronzey)
Seaford, SA (4-6' bronzey)
Triggs, SA (4-6' bronzey)
Waits and Parsons, SA (numerous small bitey things)
Pavones, Costa Rica (4-6' shark.. not sure what type)
Broken Head, NSW (4' bronzey or similar)
Surfers Paradise, Qld (4' shark, not sure what type)

Have seen a whole bunch of 'fishy' things at many other spots too.. Tressies.. Dust Bowl.. Salmon Hole.. PM's.. Daly's.. West Cape.. gee, there's gotta be so many close calls over that way at times.

On the whole I haven't done too badly. For my money, the scariest place in the country would have to be in SA, hands down - mainly centered around a few unnamed locations at the bottom of the Eyre Peninsula. I also had a lone surf at shifty double-overhead Caves a few years back that certainly put me back in my place - especially considering that NZ chap had been taken at Cactus just a couple of months prior.

I reckon Blacks is one of the spookiest locations around though.. and that's before you start to think about the sharks!

mad
charger

Post by mad » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:39 am

Have you Croweaters ever surfed Kangaroo Island. With the seal colonies it sort of looks like a great white lolly shop at the end of their Great Oz bight trolling run b/w there and SW WA. Big cohones to surf there in a black steamer.
Talk to Ab divers around Port Lincon, welcome to the food chain.
The whole of sw WA is another sharky spot, especially with Albany's whaling history.

mad
charger

Post by mad » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:18 pm

Awesome link about CSIRO research into great whites travelling around Oz. Check it out, except if you're a croweater you really may not want to know about it.
http://www.marine.csiro.au/research/whi ... index.html

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: 10 sharkiest waves In Aus

Post by Beanpole » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:58 pm

Theres a shark alley on the east side of Cook Island where the grey nurses used to breed. Never saw many at Fingal and I used to surf The Causeway and back beach regularly. Ben Cropp had blasted them all with his powerheads. Same out at Cudgen Reef.

I ended up out at Box Head with a mate after dark in the middle of winter. Sun went down very quick and it was a long scarey paddle in :roll: :roll: :roll:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:51 am

Don't ever do a low altitude flight over Fraser if you are planning to surf there.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:00 pm

It is an awesome flight. Didn't get to land on the beach.

There was a shark about every 500m when I did it. More near the headlands.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:41 pm

I' ll put a (maybe slightly outside top ten) nomination in for Catho.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:54 pm

spitfire banks
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:04 pm

A guide at Fraser Island told me years ago that when he went surfing there with mates each of them would take turns to perch on top of a sand dune and keep a lookout for sharks. He wouldn't call them in when he saw sharks, only when the sharks got too close. :shock:
Last edited by chrisb on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:05 pm

alakaboo wrote:It is an awesome flight. Didn't get to land on the beach.

There was a shark about every 500m when I did it. More near the headlands.
Apparently Snapper through Rainbow used to be crawling with shark. It used to be called Shark Bay but they changed it to not put the tourists off.
Obviously Byron was loaded as well due to the meat works.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:08 pm

Beanpole wrote:Obviously Byron was loaded as well due to the meat works.
The theory is that great whites live to roughly 30 years of age. So, if the meatworks closed in the 1970's, today there will be no great whites left that remember those offal-feasting days............... but the bastards still turn up there.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:15 pm

steve shearer wrote:spitfire banks
Surf spot?

chrisb, whites are thought to live about 70 years.

Still a lot of whites near Tangalooma too. Not that I think it is due to whaling, really. More a question of where the food congregates.

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:01 pm

Lived at Fraser Island for about two years and surfed whenever it was half decent only saw sharks while surfing once two bronzys although it aways felt sharky especially if water was dirty or lots of seaweed, didn't help that the waves were generally really crap and mostly surfed by myself as there was only one other surfer on the island, often saw boards on car roofs but very rare to see any tourist surfing.

I did see many many sharks though on average one a month mostly while beach fishing, although i did see one while fishing from a ski, that said if you go up on the headland at Indian head most times if you wait/watch long enough you can see sharks, along with lots of other sea life.

Also surfed Phillip Island most of my life im sure there is many sharks but only ever seen one just off the island, but had a few times where others out there or on beach have claimed to see one, compared to Fraser Island i dont think its sharky at all haven't surfed SA or WA but id be way way more paranoid over in WA as they have sharks but also have attacks.