ASP world tour - what do you think of it???

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

worthy

ASP world tour - what do you think of it???

Post by worthy » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:42 am

g'day all,

just wondering what everyone thinks of the ASP world tour.
do you follow it? or not give a crap about it?

worthy

'i was a hippy, i was a surfer, i was so strung out, i was outta my head' - wasted - black flag

dicko

Post by dicko » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:57 am

i think we all wish someone would pay us to go surfing

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:07 pm

i don't think about it. or didn't until now. thanx :evil:

chrisb
Owl status

ASP World Tour

Post by chrisb » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:23 pm

I would be more interested if they more often surfed waves that us mortals wouldn't dare touch eg. Teahupo (hope I spelt it right) and Big Waimea rather than to seal off small-days popular beach breaks such as Northy and Manly for tournaments.

worthy

Re: ASP World Tour

Post by worthy » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:04 pm

chrisb wrote:I would be more interested if they more often surfed waves that us mortals wouldn't dare touch eg. Teahupo (hope I spelt it right) and Big Waimea rather than to seal off small-days popular beach breaks such as Northy and Manly for tournaments.
nate, most wct events these days are held in waves that 'us mere mortals' wouldn't dare touch ..... they changed from small popular beach breaks a few years back as the contests were dull. 10ft sunset, 8ft cloudbreak, 6-8ft snapper, 10ft pipe ... these are definitley exciting waves that most surfers would not be able to handle!!!

cheers mate

worthy

'put down the tablets, moses'

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:15 pm

its gotten a whole let better since the pro's started having a say in the locations. Watching the broadband comp feeds on my lunchbreak is pretty cool too!

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:09 pm

i follow every event and as often as i can watch them live. i think the WCT has come a long way since d days of surfing popular places (e.g manly beach, huntingdon pier-i think etc) n moving the contests 2 places like hossegor, teahupo'o, cloudbreak, sunset, snapper n mundaka. d WCT wud b even better if mick fanning wud win d title! hes my prediction 4 2004.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:28 am

i grew up with my father hating surfing as me and my brothers favorite pasttime, and he allways said " you just sit around on your board all day"
and i think the reason he got that idea was when as a kid he took us to see the wct event at manly in the 80's in small 1-2 ft surf and now he thinks thats all we do.
wish hed come along to the shark island challenge or a big day somewhere.
but back to the issue...
dont really pay much attention to pro contests, but the heavier the more demanding of skill and the better for waveriders of every persausion i say
cheers
marcus
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Chonie

Post by Chonie » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:37 pm

I decided a few years ago that i wanted to be a pro surfer. If i dont get on the world tour, i'll just go on the doll and get the government to pay me to surf! :wink:

filthbarrel
regular

Post by filthbarrel » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:47 pm

On the doll? I'm not sure that's legal anymore. And John Howard has dropped the ranks of the government surf team. But on the doll. That's funny.

fletch
regular

Post by fletch » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:18 pm

It's a common mispelling but still funny. :)

I follow the ASP a little but purely to see Aussies do well. I was raised to show american surfers no respect. I'm not sure why but when I was growing up it was taboo to think a yank was a good surfer. Hawaiian surfers are fine but yanks, nadda.

You see in occumentary how occy is with curren, well that was the attitude of the day. I remeber sitting on Cronulla Point watching Tom Carroll and Tom Curren riding 8-10 foot monsters. They were the only 2 guys out, it was an unbelievable scene. Curren did the most powerful reo i've ever seen on a big wave and I yelled out. I mean it was f*king awesome, he tore the crap out of this huge wave and he was in perfect position, like he'd been surfing the point his entire life. Anyway the people around me wanted to kill me, you don't support the yanks, I'm sure if I wasn't just a dumb grommet someone would have knocked my lights out. That was the way it was.

So I like to see Aussies do well but I'm not put out if I don't see an event or something. I'm happy to just check the results a couple times throughout the year. Despite my seemingly one-eyed view of surfers I do realise that guys like KS & TC are unbelievably good (perhaps even the greatest) but it's hard to change years of conditioning :D

sorry about the essay

Surfchaser
Grommet

Post by Surfchaser » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:30 pm

I enjoy the Triple Crown aspect the most, especially if the top 3-4 guys are within striking distance of one another. It makes that last 5-6 weeks in Hawaii worth checking out. Let's face it, having Haleiwa, Sunset and Pipe back-to-back-to-back is a true test of one's ability not to mention "sack".

I'm stoked that Bugs has taken over the reigns of the ASP, it's added a certain sense of purpose that was lacking through the eighties, and having the pros take a more active approach in the choices of venues hasn't hurt either. Much more exciting on the whole.

Coming from The States, competitive surfing is only covered in Hawaii, and maybe parts of Santa Cruz or San Diego, and then only as an afterthought. Newspapers and TV there could care less, even with the peculiar aspect of a 6-time World Champion coming from Florida(!?) one of the worst places on the planet for surf!

But where to next....? X-Games? Team Events?

- SC

Natho
barnacle

Re: ASP world tour - what do you think of it???

Post by Natho » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:08 pm

Don't follow it too closely but don't mind at least watching some of the highlights. Can't stand some of the commentary. I think the sport really needs to raise the bar there. I mean the joke of putting someone like Occy in the chair was sort of funny at the time however I think the joke has run its course.

I appreciate the tour but would rather surf than watch it if given the chance. I guess it's all the inbetween bits outside of good surfing that tests my patience. Such as watching guys paddle out and wait for waves. Oh yeh and the embarrassing commentary in between actual waves being surfed.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:22 pm

A 10 year old thread.

This is some of your best work yet fong.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:14 am

give braithy a break fong ya dickhead, boardies gotta be sold undercover in these dark days.

bondihq

Post by bondihq » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:47 am

I love the tour.....i love the webcasts - last year i watched the trestles , the france and portugal and pipe , all whilst at work ( nightshift) .....although some heats i dont bother watching , the standard of surfing is incredible. , some of the commentary can be ordinary and grating but overall i love it - this year i'm going to head up to snapper to watch the first event , ive never seen one live and an opportunity to watch one is possible for me this year so i'm there. Probably sounds a little gay but the thought of seeing Kelly surfing live (not on a vid or webcast) is something ive never seen and i'm looking forward to....ha ha..

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:50 am

awesome. best surfing in the world.

shits all over freesurfing. Ask Dane Reynolds.

John John ....sploooge....IN YOUR FACE haters
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes