Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:40 am

fongss wrote:Ok...lets find happier thoughts
Nick what would u suggest as the three most beneficial stretches a surfer could do daily :?:
Hamstring to lower back. Sit on the floor, legs extended out at more than 90 degrees to each other, heels up. Relax for a minute. As you relax, try to push the backs of your knees down flat against the ground, extending the heels out and away in order to help you do it. Then place your hands on the floor in front of you, palms down, and bend forward from the hips, keeping your lower back nice and flat. Breathe in, then out and push down and out with each exhale. When you think you've gone forward and down as far as you can, just stop and breathe for a minute, focusing on keeping the heels and backs of the knees down and the toes straight up toward the ceiling. Hold that position, breathe in, then out, and push just a bit further. Hold that. Then slowly, using your hands,"walk" your upper body back up to an upright position. The ultimate extension of this movement would involve your head and chest flat on the floor between your legs, with arms fully extended and flat on the floor also. But don't sweat it if you can't get near that posture. Just do it every day and you'll see amazing improvements in your flexibility over two to three months.

Hip flexor to upper back/lats. Lie flat on your back, relax, legs casually extended straight down from the hips and arms spread out wide, palms up, kind of a human Jesus on the cross posture. Draw one leg up. Let's say the right leg, so there's a 90 degree angle at the knee. Take your left hand and place it on the outside of the right thigh, and slowly draw the right leg over the left so the knee comes down toward the floor. The hips can roll a bit with the movement but not the upper back. Keep your right arm and both shoulders flat on the floor. Breathe and extend the stretch until the right knee is pushed on to the floor; once it's there, slowly turn your head to face down the line of the right arm. Hold and breathe for a minute, slowly return to the original posture, and repeat the movement on the other side.

Shoulder/trapezius. Stand facing a wall, about a foot out from it, relaxed posture, feet about the width apart of your shoulders. Raise your right hand, palm facing out from the wall, until the right arm is horizontal, the top of the hand against the wall. Now slowly lean in toward the wall, so that your right arm is pushed back into your body. You should feel a deep stretch across the whole shoulder and around behind it, possibly even into the neck. Slowly increase the stretch by extending the right hand further out and away along the wall; imagine your fingers being pulled away from you. Be slow and careful with this stretch the first eight or ten times you do it, most surfers have incredibly bound up and fibrous shoulder muscles and tendons and care should be taken not to rush it in case it produces a tiny muscle tear or strain. Relax, come back from the wall, and repeat with the left arm.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:48 am

OK ... so having done my stretches. What should I wear to the beach ... as in on the journey too.

We're talking sartorial splendour here ... not ordinary clobber.

Give us the goss Nick ... whats hip-n-happening on the sand this summer.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:50 am

Thanks for the tips Nick. As for the hamstring stretch, I'm currently able to do this.

I would like to be able to do this
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:56 am

Yeah I'd like to do #2 & #3 as well.

Boom tish.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:57 am

packa wrote:
Nick, how does one best choose an appropriate length pf punishment? I mean, if kids play up, how long should they be 'grounded' or have their access to TV or computers removed? Is there a scale of penalty for indiscretion? Is there an 'iggy scale' or is it more of a subjective system?
Jesus Christ it's our very own Sybil.

I am dubious of the word "punishment" and particularly of the word "length" but be that as it may

From my own experience, kids need to know there are clear and fair consequences to their playing up just as they need to know they'll be rewarded if they achieve beyond the norm.

This means the consequence kinda has to be on the table before the kid plays up, then if the kid plays up you know the kid is deliberately testing you to see what he/she can get away with.

Lots of kids do silly things without meaning to and this is where you need to be discerning, know when to discipline and when to explain, and maybe how to mix the two.

People have different takes on "punishment". I prefer the word consequence because I want to take the emotion out of it from my parental end. Personally I would never hit a child, I wouldn't want to give 'em the idea that I thought it was appropriate to use violence from a position of unassailable power. Which is where you're at as a parent.

So boiling it down: did the kid deliberately play up knowing there may be consequences? You better deliver those consequences, whatever you said they''d be.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:07 am

Womble wrote:OK ... so having done my stretches. What should I wear to the beach ... as in on the journey too.

We're talking sartorial splendour here ... not ordinary clobber.

Give us the goss Nick ... whats hip-n-happening on the sand this summer.
Hell as far as I can tell the beach this year is sorely devoid of fashion of any kind.

I saw a fat guy in Speedos pulled up past his waist on a SUP out at Newport yesterday. That was a good look. Also quite a few hipsters in short scallopy board shorts and sleeveless t shirts cut deep off the armpit, they looked like they were trying to be chicks.

The girls look great in that modern low cut bikini bottom and mix and match tops, a lot of confident young women out there leading the boys on wild goose chases all over the sand. Also a lot of great looking late 30s early 40s women in slightly more expensive yet very revealing garb, all that yoga seems to be paying off. I can't help thinking of skipper when I look at 'em.

Their husbands look awful in dark long board shorts and rash vests tucked in around their soft middles, trying to enjoy their holidays but secretly wishing they were back In a sharp suit in the office trading Derivatives.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:13 am

Nick Carroll wrote:Their husbands look awful in dark long board shorts and rash vests tucked in around their soft middles, trying to enjoy their holidays but secretly wishing they were back In a sharp suit in the office trading Derivatives.

this is your greatest ever post

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:33 am

Nick Carroll wrote:. Also a lot of great looking late 30s early 40s women in slightly more expensive yet very revealing garb, all that yoga seems to be paying off. I can't help thinking of skipper when I look at 'em.
Personally I think skips one of the last things I'd be thinking of.

It is pretty amazing just how totally unco and devoid of even the most rudimentary concepts of style the average bogan presents on the beach or at the shops these days. Its a combination of a lot of factors but I reckon one big element is the move to the close fitting low cut t shirt meeting the "still got a bit of good wear in them" baggy calf length boardies. Team that with a pair of short stubby legs, beer gut, heaps of body hair, three day growth, semi shaved dome, too small trucker cap and maybe a couple of tats and you have a walking image of the village idiot circa 2013-14. Hard to work out how they could look more ugly or more low class. This isn't restricted to aussies either.

The idea of all the close fitting shirts and tight jeans was too scare away the fatties and oldies. Too late now they wear that sh*t too :P :P .
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:38 am

take a look at your garden variety mouthbreathing hags and you'll quickly see that in spite of the world of free fashion/styling advice available, you'll see that 80% of younger women have lost the skill to dress themselves. fat ones in tiny tiny shorts and tops exposing cellulite, arse cheeks, panties, bra straps, guts etc.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:43 am

Thank's for the insight into Sarge, Onto more fun subject's what would be the best type of occupation's that you have seen that allow average people more opportunities for the surfing lifestyle?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:01 am

el rancho wrote:take a look at your garden variety mouthbreathing hags and you'll quickly see that in spite of the world of free fashion/styling advice available, you'll see that 80% of younger women have lost the skill to dress themselves. fat ones in tiny tiny shorts and tops exposing cellulite, arse cheeks, panties, bra straps, guts etc.
Exactly, the tight clothing fashion was designed to keep fatties out because it was assumed they would be ashamed to have their fat flabby bodies exposed. Wrong, wrong, wrong.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:21 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
packa wrote:
Nick, how does one best choose an appropriate length pf punishment? I mean, if kids play up, how long should they be 'grounded' or have their access to TV or computers removed? Is there a scale of penalty for indiscretion? Is there an 'iggy scale' or is it more of a subjective system?
Jesus Christ it's our very own Sybil.

I am dubious of the word "punishment" and particularly of the word "length" but be that as it may

From my own experience, kids need to know there are clear and fair consequences to their playing up just as they need to know they'll be rewarded if they achieve beyond the norm.

This means the consequence kinda has to be on the table before the kid plays up, then if the kid plays up you know the kid is deliberately testing you to see what he/she can get away with.

Lots of kids do silly things without meaning to and this is where you need to be discerning, know when to discipline and when to explain, and maybe how to mix the two.

People have different takes on "punishment". I prefer the word consequence because I want to take the emotion out of it from my parental end. Personally I would never hit a child, I wouldn't want to give 'em the idea that I thought it was appropriate to use violence from a position of unassailable power. Which is where you're at as a parent.

So boiling it down: did the kid deliberately play up knowing there may be consequences? You better deliver those consequences, whatever you said they''d be.

AHEMMM!!! :cry:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:26 am

There was a guy hanging around here awhile back who purported to be an ace longboarder. Can't remember his name but he drifted over from (I think) swellnet.
This AMG seems to have a similar style.

But I can understand that. Natural progression from longboarding to God.

Sorry Nick :-)(
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:54 am

Beanpole wrote:
el rancho wrote:take a look at your garden variety mouthbreathing hags and you'll quickly see that in spite of the world of free fashion/styling advice available, you'll see that 80% of younger women have lost the skill to dress themselves. fat ones in tiny tiny shorts and tops exposing cellulite, arse cheeks, panties, bra straps, guts etc.
Exactly, the tight clothing fashion was designed to keep fatties out because it was assumed they would be ashamed to have their fat flabby bodies exposed. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

oh no, they are strong in spirit.
Actually I'm way more offended by young chubby guys sporting skintight jeans, shorts and shirts. see them everywhere.

I think because 60% of the population is overweight, everyone just looks normal compared to each other. like a new world order of obesity.
It takes an objective view to realise they're just fat fucks stuffed into obnoxiously ill-fitted clothing.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:07 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
fongss wrote:Ok...lets find happier thoughts
Nick what would u suggest as the three most beneficial stretches a surfer could do daily :?:
Hamstring to lower back. Sit on the floor, legs extended out at more than 90 degrees to each other, heels up. Relax for a minute. As you relax, try to push the backs of your knees down flat against the ground, extending the heels out and away in order to help you do it. Then place your hands on the floor in front of you, palms down, and bend forward from the hips, keeping your lower back nice and flat. Breathe in, then out and push down and out with each exhale. When you think you've gone forward and down as far as you can, just stop and breathe for a minute, focusing on keeping the heels and backs of the knees down and the toes straight up toward the ceiling. Hold that position, breathe in, then out, and push just a bit further. Hold that. Then slowly, using your hands,"walk" your upper body back up to an upright position. The ultimate extension of this movement would involve your head and chest flat on the floor between your legs, with arms fully extended and flat on the floor also. But don't sweat it if you can't get near that posture. Just do it every day and you'll see amazing improvements in your flexibility over two to three months.

Hip flexor to upper back/lats. Lie flat on your back, relax, legs casually extended straight down from the hips and arms spread out wide, palms up, kind of a human Jesus on the cross posture. Draw one leg up. Let's say the right leg, so there's a 90 degree angle at the knee. Take your left hand and place it on the outside of the right thigh, and slowly draw the right leg over the left so the knee comes down toward the floor. The hips can roll a bit with the movement but not the upper back. Keep your right arm and both shoulders flat on the floor. Breathe and extend the stretch until the right knee is pushed on to the floor; once it's there, slowly turn your head to face down the line of the right arm. Hold and breathe for a minute, slowly return to the original posture, and repeat the movement on the other side.

Shoulder/trapezius. Stand facing a wall, about a foot out from it, relaxed posture, feet about the width apart of your shoulders. Raise your right hand, palm facing out from the wall, until the right arm is horizontal, the top of the hand against the wall. Now slowly lean in toward the wall, so that your right arm is pushed back into your body. You should feel a deep stretch across the whole shoulder and around behind it, possibly even into the neck. Slowly increase the stretch by extending the right hand further out and away along the wall; imagine your fingers being pulled away from you. Be slow and careful with this stretch the first eight or ten times you do it, most surfers have incredibly bound up and fibrous shoulder muscles and tendons and care should be taken not to rush it in case it produces a tiny muscle tear or strain. Relax, come back from the wall, and repeat with the left arm.

Hey nick with the last one, does the arm go across your body, so right arm would go across the left side of your body?, like a traditional shoulder stretch?. Can't quite picture that one.

That first stretch is revealing haha, I thought my flexibility was pretty good. But I struggle to get to 45deg. In a yoga cross legged pose I can put my head on the ground, but trying it that way was much harder.

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:41 pm

Trev wrote:There was a guy hanging around here awhile back who purported to be an ace longboarder. Can't remember his name but he drifted over from (I think) swellnet.
This AMG seems to have a similar style.

But I can understand that. Natural progression from longboarding to God.

Sorry Nick :-)(

OK OK Mr Moderator, I really have to pull you up here my friend. Most will be thinking this rant is motivated by some sort of power struggle...y'know, you being the figure of perceived authority around here and all...but they would be off the mark!

My beef is...there have actually been now several entries suggesting I was once someone else...I..."died"...then have come back as someone else...like a...reincarn...n.n. A reinc...car...r.r.r...damn it I cant bring myself to say it...I wont bring myself to say it...its a touchy subject!!! You see, believe it or not...I fcuking made that shit up!

A few thousand years ago I threw this awesome dinner party. All the hipsters were there, the place was really rockin. Sure I had a few too many, and, as per usual, I start talking way too much. So I tell everyone about this idea for a great new religion I have come up with...fcuking awesome...you can die as much as you want...and just keep coming back...as anything you fcuking want...you could have heard a pin drop...looks of awe all around...I swear Eros would have done me right then and there...roast turkey and all, if I had let her...

so anyway...I wake up the next morning...maybe I lost a few days...and its out there...but someone else has fcuking palmed it off as there idea...fat bastard!

Cut a long story short...I am completely shattered, my best idea in thousands of years stolen...by a friend...but I gotta get back on that horse, so I try this instead...die, three days later, come back as yourself...worked a few times...but never really caught on...

Anyway, you can see why what you are implying is extremely offensive...dont let it happen again!

And look, for the record, you nosy, curious bastards...for the first and last time...I was a real minor player here just once before, a while ago...not sure exactly but made well under 100 posts. No-one knew me and I doubt anyone would even remember my previous username if I told it. Anyway, thought this may be a bit more fun, for you and me!

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:57 pm

steve shearer wrote:......

still, guess it goes to show, that just like Nixon's visit to China in '72, Andy's own charm offensive to SEQLD was as effective in pacifying larger forces. Which is to say, not at all.
Iron fist in a silk glove.
I'm a little concerned for merkin's well being. Poor bastard hasn't posted since andy's visit, likely traumatized by sudden and prolonged exposure to upside down penis flesh I reckon.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:03 pm

Hmmmm?

Bigwayne, welcom back. :-)(
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.