Santa

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

rmb
barnacle

Re: Santa

Post by rmb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Ringmaster wrote:
rmb wrote: Mate I dont neither nor do I desire it but Parkinsons family unit can distract him from the pressure.
Well......I'd imagine Slater's chick would no doubt have a few 'distraction' options at her disposal as well if he happens to be feeling any pressure.
Well I guess so I wonder how long slater can last with that distraction.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:57 pm

3-4 times a day?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:22 pm

steve shearer wrote:If Kelly loses, he's got 11 titles behind him.

This is all a laugh for him now.
I beg to differ Steve. Kelly is not one to laugh at losing. He is the most competitive guy on the tour and he will not be laughing if he loses.

I do agree though that whilst Parko is surfing well, he never appears "hungry". He always appears just so relaxed and casual. Sometimes ya just wanna shake him and say wake up sunshine and get some aggression and hunger into ya to strive for that win.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:00 pm

From what I've seen Kelly seems far more invested in winning the world tile than Joel, which is weird since Kelly has 11 of them and you'd think he'd be satiated, and Joel has none and you'd think he'd be desperately hungry. Part of it is no doubt Joel trying to control his thoughts and stay relaxed, but I genuinely think he believes he doesn't need a world title to be satsfied in life.

As a bloke with a family I can say I think for many of us it does bring perspective of what's important. The health and happiness of your family is far more important than a world title. It just is. It'd be nice though to have the title and the healthy happy family. Clearly KS hasn't yet got that, and Joel does. Will the family keep Joel relaxed? I hope so, but not completely. Will KS be relaxed? No way, but he'll do his best to pretend he is.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:06 am

This is the most stressed/rattled I've seen Kelly surf for a LONG LONG time.

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:22 am

Donweather wrote:This is the most stressed/rattled I've seen Kelly surf for a LONG LONG time.
alot on his plate?
takeover of asp must be stressing times

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:51 am

I wonder if Kelly would evan have all those titles if he had a family unit that he cared for. I would doubt it, as others have said, it changes your perspective on what's important.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:23 pm

I don' think Slater would have any less world titles if he had a family. He and Joel are very different (well at least appear to be anyway). Joel appears to surf for the enjoyment of surfing. Slater, whilst enjoying surfing, appears to surf for the competitiveness of it. Slater hates to lose. Read his book, it's an eye opener in to how he grew up being so god damn competitive, and that's still extremely evident today.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:30 pm

What are the chances of Brad Gerlach commentating at Pipe? He was fecking brilliant at Santa. The best surf comp commentator I have ever heard. The ASP (or whatever the new company/format is next year) should employ him full time to commentate at every event next year. Brilliant, fecking brilliant he is.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:36 pm

Donweather wrote:What are the chances of Brad Gerlach commentating at Pipe? He was fecking brilliant at Santa. The best surf comp commentator I have ever heard. The ASP (or whatever the new company/format is next year) should employ him full time to commentate at every event next year. Brilliant, fecking brilliant he is.
Zap. Blam.

Good hearing his comments on the technical/mechanics of surfing as well. Analysis of individual turns etc. Top stuff. Hope he does more.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 pm

slater might not have the 'my family' set up, but remember, he does have a teenage daughter,
and a long term GF, who seems to be at most of the contests. what difference does a wedding ring make other than making your wallet 30k lighter..... :lol:

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:26 pm

Our whole wedding cost less than the wedding dress of one of our friends. She's divorced now. Twice :!:
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:28 pm

swvic wrote:Our whole wedding cost less than the wedding dress of one of our friends. She's divorced now. Twice :!:
:lol: :lol:

My wedding cost all up $750 bucks, thats it, tracy made the dress, mum supplied a fruit plater at the church, no bridesmaids and shite like that, it was started from the weeding to the end of the reception 1 hour and a little bit, then we were off and outa there. That was close to 18 years ago and we still dont know our anniversary date. Should we have spent more money, naaaaaaaahhhhhhh, what a bloody waste. :D
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:29 pm

brendo wrote:slater might not have the 'my family' set up, but remember, he does have a teenage daughter,
and a long term GF, who seems to be at most of the contests. what difference does a wedding ring make other than making your wallet 30k lighter..... :lol:

All kids are different. Thats a given. But virtually all of them want a mother and father living together in a stable environment.

I don't think you get many kudos for being an absent father no matter how generous your cheques and how good a relationship you have notwithstanding not being present. That's not to throw shit Slater's way in this but having a daughter you don't see much is a long way off being part of a family where your priorities change. It seems to show Slater's priorities didn't change much.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:12 am

buzzy wrote:I don't think you get many kudos for being an absent father no matter how generous your cheques and how good a relationship you have notwithstanding not being present. That's not to throw shit Slater's way in this but having a daughter you don't see much is a long way off being part of a family where your priorities change..
a dog wouldn't do that but a cat would.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:12 am

Damn right there Offy.
Man dies alone with a dog, dog dies next to him.
With a cat, the cat will eat him.

Back on topic;
Parko's missus would be happier than Slater's anyway.
He always comes second.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:06 am

Once Slater stops competing/ winning, and it will happen, there is going to be a massive hole in his life. Parko, title or not will have a few regrets no doubt, but a life after competing.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:18 am

Donweather wrote:I don' think Slater would have any less world titles if he had a family. He and Joel are very different (well at least appear to be anyway). Joel appears to surf for the enjoyment of surfing. Slater, whilst enjoying surfing, appears to surf for the competitiveness of it. Slater hates to lose. Read his book, it's an eye opener in to how he grew up being so god damn competitive, and that's still extremely evident today.
KS made the choice between family and world titles a long time ago. And it was a choice, and he knowingly made it. There's no way you could maintain the utter selfishness of a world title shot that many times and have a wife and children in tow. I suspect perhaps he is embroiled in that very battle right now. I dunno if his girl signed on for this level of competitive obsession.

Joel may appear relaxed etc but he has deep wells of competitive drive and draws upon them constantly in training and in heats. He also gives off a sense that he requires self-satisfaction, ie just a sort of simple enjoyment of achieving his goals, in order to live a balanced life. He's a great Australian surfer and I think that description means a lot to him, he feels himself in the lineage, if you get my drift. I fcuken hope he wins! Not so much out of deserving as out of it being deeply appropriate within the sport.