Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bumfluff
Owl status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by bumfluff » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:23 pm

Is anyone up Noosa way today? How's it looking?

Has anyone been able to get from Brissy to the Sunshine Coast without going the back way?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:17 pm

I surfed with all the other snapperheads today. Was crowded but still picked off a few good ones. Banks are rather average so I reckon they're gonna struggle with this solid swell coming later in the weekend/Monday. Although a particular barrelling point might just handle it.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:56 pm

bumfluff wrote:Is anyone up Noosa way today? How's it looking?

Has anyone been able to get from Brissy to the Sunshine Coast without going the back way?
It's been open since Tuesday night mate. I was told it was open then and drove up on Wednesday morning.
Haven't bothered to try surfing though - too much onshore wind.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

haysie
regular

Post by haysie » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:34 pm

North end of Werri... decent bank tucked in next to the point, bit chunky otherwise. But sizable. Lots of friendly dolphins to share the water with too.
Braithy - I can look at a guy like Sonny Bill Williams, his physique and face, and appreciate, he's a good looking guy

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:35 pm

TrevG wrote:
bumfluff wrote:Is anyone up Noosa way today? How's it looking?

It's been open since Tuesday night mate. I was told it was open then and drove up on Wednesday morning.
Haven't bothered to try surfing though - too much onshore wind.
A little bit on-shore up here in the South Pacific too Trev, although some good swell. Got the morning of these photos (before work, 5am) with perfect conditions, by the afternoon the wind was on it and making the double up's a little tricky on the draining reef, still, got heaps of good ones considering!

Hope you get some waves next week mate,

Mick

Oh, by the way, 3 people out and one of the nationals on the camera. Love this place!
Attachments
09 01 2011 219.jpg
Easy overhead on the sets.
09 01 2011 222.jpg
A little on-shore but still a decent face.
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Donweather wrote:I surfed with all the other snapperheads today. Was crowded but still picked off a few good ones. Banks are rather average so I reckon they're gonna struggle with this solid swell coming later in the weekend/Monday. Although a particular barrelling point might just handle it.
Burls?

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:23 am

Donweather wrote:I surfed with all the other snapperheads today. Was crowded but still picked off a few good ones. Banks are rather average so I reckon they're gonna struggle with this solid swell coming later in the weekend/Monday. Although a particular barrelling point might just handle it.
Ballina is looking even better with slightly bigger swell and forecast for straight west early.

smallhouse
Grommet

Post by smallhouse » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:14 pm

6hrs at noosa.
holed my toe on a barnacle,
Sprained my wrist ,
lost a fin,
going back for more punishment tomorrow.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:55 am

I take it the wind was less up at Noosa ^^^^^^^^^

This morning, some decent lines showing at my local but blown out to buggery.

Surprisingly good looking lefts at the Boatramp with pretty clean faces despite the wind being almost straight on shore. Not going out by myself in that soup though.

I stayed dry.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:16 am

Just down the road it's around 4ft with the odd bomb set winds light NNW a work out but a few long lefts running down the beach ............... :wink:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:13 am

TrevG wrote:Surprisingly good looking lefts at the Boatramp with pretty clean faces despite the wind being almost straight on shore. Not going out by myself in that soup though.
I wondered how the boat ramp would be going in this swell Trev. Winds look much better for your local perhaps tomorrow and into Monday.....just in time for the peak in the SOLID swell.

Can't understand the swell height differences between the Sunny and Gold coasts at the moment (on the wave buoys). Seems rather odd given the fetch was out near New Caledonia, thus allowing wave spread across the entire east coast?? Strange one that............

I'll probably be heading to my favourite SC beachie on Tuesday....assuming there's any resemblance of sand banks left? King tides are gonna make the paddle interesting too!!

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:45 am

ledge71 wrote:A little bit on-shore up here in the South Pacific too Trev, although some good swell. Got the morning of these photos (before work, 5am) with perfect conditions, by the afternoon the wind was on it and making the double up's a little tricky on the draining reef, still, got heaps of good ones considering!
Hey Ledge, you gonna be up there this week and next? Looks like the North Pacific is exploding. Thurs/Fri of this week should see some damn nice 6ft NNW groundswell arrive (probably later on Thurs).

The North Pacific blows up this coming week and unfortunately the fetch is aimed W'ly away from you, but you should still see some radial spreading and longer period swell from the NW quadrant of the monster storm brewing in the North Pacific early-mid this week. So I reckon you should expect to see a continuation of 3-5ft N'ly groundswells right through next weekend and into early the following week (22nd-24th Jan).

Happy days for you mate!!!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Got a few waves this afternoon as the wind dropped and things smoothed out. Some powere in th esuckers though, despite it being high tide.
Hoping for a cleaner morning tomorrow.

And Don, I don't want to know about Monday thanks. :twisted: Will be back in Brisbane for the week. :|
Beanpole

Skipper

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:15 pm

TrevG wrote:Got a few waves this afternoon as the wind dropped and things smoothed out. Some powere in th esuckers though, despite it being high tide.
Hoping for a cleaner morning tomorrow.

And Don, I don't want to know about Monday thanks. :twisted: Will be back in Brisbane for the week. :|

I hope to see you tommorow trev, Im not going back to circus Noosa, capital of idiots all over the world
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:54 pm

Hey Don , Trev.

I'm sneaking back to the coast for a week to surprise my wife. It's my daughters birthday on Monday and she turns three so Im sure to be in the good books. I just hope I don't get home and the pool boys there! Then I'll be the one who's surprised!

Surf also looks like it's going to be okay, are you working all week

Fingers crossed I don't jinx it all
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:39 am

^^^^^^^

Yeah I am at this stage. :twisted:

Really too big for me this morning.
The outer point was beaking WAY out and the angle of the swell was such that you could have ridden it all the way across into the normal Moffs take-off zone and kept going. Some massively big sets breaking way out and cleaning up the half dozen who went out (no keyhole stuff for the first hour or so).
The big fella, Luke snapped his leggie right out the back and had to chase his board right into the second set of steps.
By the time he got in I was ready to save his board but he made it. Just about fainted by the time he got up the steps.
Supposed to be bigger tomorrow.
Beanpole

Skipper

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:17 pm

yup, had a good time out there trev, but it was a bit tricky without local knowledge of the place, take off zone as big as a football field.

Im hoping to surf again tommorow, you going to be there ledge :?: If this devil wind backs off my local point may, and I do say may, break for the first time in a very long time.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Finally got a few decent rides this morning at Gunnamatta, swell was only around a metre and a half but there were some good bowly reforms to be had at the first carpark.

Fcuked my arm though, stuffed a duck dive and my board flew out from under me and the fin hit me right in the back of my forearm, got a nice purple bruise forming as we speak :)
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love