MANLY

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

don.weather
regular

Post by don.weather » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:55 pm

yowie1000 wrote:Roy Masters' rant in the SMH on Saturday is worth a read, particularly for those younger ones who don't realise why the rest of the world thinks Manly are evil.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/i- ... 90929.html
Whatever Roy was on when he wrote this article....I want some of it!!!

It's quite obvious one must have been on some serious drugs to write this article......what dribble dribble dribble.

The modern game of NRL is not about player loyalty. It can't be with the current salary cap situation. And for starters, Melbourne Storm is exactly the team he's written about in the article as well. So are half the teams in the NRL, particularly the Sydney based teams.

I noticed Roy forget to have a discussion (read: rant) on Beaver.....Manly's longest standing serving player!!!

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:41 pm

Pfft. The Bunnies beat Manly less than 2 months ago.

The Anti-Storm Sydney based conspiracy obviously worked a treat.

:D

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:43 pm

Buff_Brad wrote:
yowie1000 wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:Roy Masters is a piece of shit. He will be dead soon.
Yeah, true. And the article was terribly written.. all that crap about the early tribes? Please.

There is, however, a reason that so many of us league fans don't like to see Manly win. These ongoing feuds are what keeps the game so passionate for supporters and players alike. Documenting them, and the reasons behind them, is an important part of our game to stop us becoming a series of detached, money driven, franchise clubs. Perhaps Roy went about this the wrong way, and at the wrong time. Not much you can say to 40-nil and a premiership.

Except for see you next year. Silvertail scum :wink:
I don't understand why Manly are the proverbial silvertails? Manly is so boring and unsophisticated ..... it's basically a hole.
The Silvertail tag came from their years of buying players and therefore premierships in the pre-salary cap days. Menzies (wonderful player, deserving of his great send off) came through from the local comp but in years past, would have struggled to keep his place in the lean years because Manly would have gone out and bought several of the best players from the winning teams of the previous year.
Anyway, they deserve their win. Storm was way off its game but they'll still be a force next year.

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:12 pm

awesome night.

i was working at the Charlie Bar, the place was overflowing with people. gorgeous chicks EVERYWHERE.

loving it, every time we scored the place absolutely erupted.

then Beaver's try!!!! man, all of Manly was rattling with sound.

great long weekend, in fact, one of the best in memory for me.

$160 in tips as well, happy days.

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:16 pm

yowie1000 wrote:Roy Masters' rant in the SMH on Saturday is worth a read, particularly for those younger ones who don't realise why the rest of the world thinks Manly are evil.

what f.ucking rot.

Beerfan

manly

Post by Beerfan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:47 pm

I was just happy to see the grubbiest bunch of footballers around get FLOGGED. Not keen on manly at all ( Im not a weirdo :lol: ), but how good to see sooky slater, cocker, and co. get smacked. My faith in rugby league has been restored.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:28 am

TrevG wrote:Menzies (wonderful player, deserving of his great send off) came through from the local comp but in years past, would have struggled to keep his place in the lean years because Manly would have gone out and bought several of the best players from the winning teams of the previous year.
Trev, I think you might be underestimating how good a player Menzies is both in attack and defence, then and now.

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 am

Freshie Boy wrote:

what f.ucking rot.
If I recall correctly his mother lived between Queenscliff and Freshie and Roy and his brothers and sister grew up there.

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:34 am

this article is a joke.
If you link Manly premierships with movements in the share index, you'll actually discover the Sea Eagles caused the biggest economic collapse since the Great Depression.
- stupid little man writing the article.

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:37 am

Roy Masters has been on his high horse for decades about this Silvertail think. Get over it - and yourself Roy - its 30 years ago. Even if his comments are tongue in cheek - its typically a f..kin poor attempt to whip up anti Manly sentiment in the masses. No other team in the NRL buys players - like Souths and Roy Asotassi (pardon sp), Bulldogs and Kimmorley and Ennis for next year and Roosters with Fittler and Annasta (sp) :? . There isn't any club in the last 20 years that has an exclusively home grown player list. I wonder if Roy will write anything in his column this week. My guess is not anything positive - but thats more about his ignorance than his supposed experience. :x

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:41 am

Jorgo wrote:Roy Masters has been on his high horse for decades about this Silvertail think. Get over it - and yourself Roy - its 30 years ago. Even if his comments are tongue in cheek - its typically a f..kin poor attempt to whip up anti Manly sentiment in the masses. No other team in the NRL buys players - like Souths and Roy Asotassi (pardon sp), Bulldogs and Kimmorley and Ennis for next year and Roosters with Fittler and Annasta (sp) :? . There isn't any club in the last 20 years that has an exclusively home grown player list. I wonder if Roy will write anything in his column this week. My guess is not anything positive - but thats more about his ignorance than his supposed experience. :x
Salary cap was the issue with those players being bought. It was an open era back then.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:41 pm

Buff_Brad wrote: I don't understand why Manly are the proverbial silvertails? Manly is so boring and unsophisticated ..... it's basically a hole.
It's a shame (no really it is) that everyone over here doesn't share your opinion. Manly'd be a much better place if they did...

yowie1000
Grommet

Post by yowie1000 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:55 pm

Buff_Brad wrote: I don't understand why Manly are the proverbial silvertails? Manly is so boring and unsophisticated ..... it's basically a hole.
The silvertail tag has nothing to do with the sophistication or otherwise of Manly as a town. Brush up on your league history, BB!

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:36 pm

TrevG wrote: The Silvertail tag came from their years of buying players and therefore premierships in the pre-salary cap days. Menzies (wonderful player, deserving of his great send off) came through from the local comp but in years past, would have struggled to keep his place in the lean years because Manly would have gone out and bought several of the best players from the winning teams of the previous year.
Anyway, they deserve their win. Storm was way off its game but they'll still be a force next year.
Thanks for the informative post Trev. Interesting stuff ...... brushing up on my League history yowie1000......happy now?

I used to go for the Jets cause I liked their jersey. Actually own one of the original ones. It was a real hit at one of the mid nineties Mardi Gras Parties. 8)

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:50 pm

Poor old Roy Masters is largely misunderstood…… mostly by himself.

Another tripper is this Brian Waldron (Melb CEO) fella, asking fans and Gallop (on behalf of fans) to apologise for booing Cam Smith on Sunday,WTF.

I reckon Brians' talents would be better served in AFL

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:52 pm

Buff_Brad wrote:
TrevG wrote: I used to go for the Jets cause I liked their jersey. Actually own one of the original ones. It was a real hit at one of the mid nineties Mardi Gras Parties. 8)
Joan and the Jets no doubt.

yowie1000
Grommet

Post by yowie1000 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:30 pm

Buff_Brad wrote: Thanks for the informative post Trev. Interesting stuff ...... brushing up on my League history yowie1000......happy now?
Yep, that's much better.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:54 am

oh know

heard a little storie about our grandfinal winners

club refused let them be drug tested aFTER THE GAME OR B4 :shock:

not saying their guilty

but why wouldn't u piss in a jar if u got nothin hide :?