Monterey Bay C.A. surf reports - a waste of space?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Is the Monterey Bay CA report useful?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:20 pm

Yes
43%
no
57%

Total votes: 7

chrisb
Owl status

Monterey Bay C.A. surf reports - a waste of space?

Post by chrisb » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:20 pm

I am a regular (Sydney) reader of the Realsurf reports and occasional contributor when on surfing holidays. I am interested in the overseas surf reports, especially having visited the USA and Bali a few years ago.

Frankly though I find the Monterey Bay CA surf reports to be a waste of space. The report is vague with (what the writer no doubt considers to be) colourful descriptions of the sunsets etc. with no clue given to your average punter as to what break it is.

Let's face it, there are no secret surf spots anymore in the world so there's no need to be so vague. A Sydney reader is not going to rush over to Maverick's tonight :x if he reads that a 30 foot swell's on the way!

I think that vague and useless "surf reports" such as Monterey Bay CA should not be published. What does everyone else think?

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:27 pm

Personally i love his reports there different and interesting to me.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:44 pm

The Monterey reporter is the bearded hermit caved up in the cliffs above Frank's reef south of Durras, he is the burdened alky raving in his sleep under the palms in Centennial Park, he is the lost soul of surfing, he is the fantasist, the dreamer - hang around a couple of decades youth, see where it takes you...larry

Surfchaser
Grommet

Post by Surfchaser » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:15 pm

Well, being from Monterey CA., I do find them a waste of time. Whom ever is doing the reports should be writing books of prose, or critiqueing (sp?) French literature, cause not once have I heard him mention one word about ANY of the surf spots in or around Monterey.

I like the read, but it would be better served in the Arts section of the SMH.

- SC

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:28 am

Larry, there are no waves at durras ... what are you talking about?

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:08 pm

shit clif, .. sorry mate - I clean forgot

Bunker Spreckles

Re: Monterey Bay C.A. surf reports - a waste of space?

Post by Bunker Spreckles » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:31 pm

chrisb wrote:I am a regular (Sydney) reader of the Realsurf reports and occasional contributor when on surfing holidays. I am interested in the overseas surf reports, especially having visited the USA and Bali a few years ago.

Frankly though I find the Monterey Bay CA surf reports to be a waste of space. The report is vague with (what the writer no doubt considers to be) colourful descriptions of the sunsets etc. with no clue given to your average punter as to what break it is.

Let's face it, there are no secret surf spots anymore in the world so there's no need to be so vague. A Sydney reader is not going to rush over to Maverick's tonight :x if he reads that a 30 foot swell's on the way!

I think that vague and useless "surf reports" such as Monterey Bay CA should not be published. What does everyone else think?
Brother, dude's the man.
Love him.

Peace out.

american bastard

Post by american bastard » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:17 pm

i live in california and i dont care about the monterey surf report. its a 6 or 7 hour drive north for me. also i thought this was an australian bulletin board, whats up with all the american sponsors?

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:13 pm

We do what we want when we want thats what makes us Australian

american bastard

Post by american bastard » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:16 pm

i heard someone say that about being american yesterday.

palms

Post by palms » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:17 pm

nah, I think they would of said "we do what we want if it will benefit us. That's what makes us American". :wink:

Nikko
regular

Surf report

Post by Nikko » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:37 am

If someone contributes and takes the time and energy to let us know what the surfs doing on the other side of the world we should be grateful instead of belittle him and flogging him.
One world, one people, brothers and sisters, 6' of seperation, unified forces, positve thinking.
I know it's all idealistic but its true.
I can't believe the narrow mindedness of some people.
No one critisises Stu's report from Japan? He's gotta put up with freezzzzing temps, snow on the beach and a shitload of monkey men. His reports are hilarious where as this other is what it is.
I sound like a crusader but I'm not.
"No matter what happens; it will always be alright".

american bastard

Post by american bastard » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:32 am

hi nikko, i like what you wrote. dont mind the controversy. have seen people write anti australian stuff on surfline. the same type of people there as there are here. only difference is the country being criticized.

a few of the surfline posters are waving their little ameican flags. apparently some posters here are waving little australian flags. would be great to get these 2 groups together and have a little flag waving contest.

as i wrote on another thread stereotypes are for idiots. surfing is made up of individuals. am more curious about individuals than what their passport says.

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:45 am

hey ameican bastard....i wish i could believe you about surfers being all individuals and stuff, but from my experience most surfers are the biggest stereotyped, ego inflated loosers around......i mean mate, i hang with snowboarders, skaters and wakeboarders and NEVER get the whole "oh only a snowboarder or a wakeboarder knows the feeling" crap, and its only my surfer mates who give me crap about doin all these other sports.

stuey

Post by stuey » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:53 am

Nubby, cos they don't know the feelin. No comparison between slidin on snow or water and riding an energy source.
Nikko ya bastardo, I thort ya had bailed to Bali mate??

american bastard

Post by american bastard » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:54 am

nubby wrote:hey ameican bastard....i wish i could believe you about surfers being all individuals and stuff, but from my experience most surfers are the biggest stereotyped, ego inflated loosers around......i mean mate, i hang with snowboarders, skaters and wakeboarders and NEVER get the whole "oh only a snowboarder or a wakeboarder knows the feeling" crap, and its only my surfer mates who give me crap about doin all these other sports.
hi nubby; the stereotype comment was more about a persons place of birth than chosen activity. surfers and humans in general are quite capable of sheeplike behavior. i had a pretty good reply typed but my computer froze and i lost it. gotta go to work now. hope you guys are getting some waves.

even though i questioned the monterey surf report, maybe its not a bad idea. one reason im checking out your bulletin board is to see whats going on in another part of the world.

surflines bulletin board is dominated by southern california surfers. probably only 2 or 3 aussies post there with any regularity.

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:49 am

what feelin's that stu? the one you get actually surfin, or the one of being all tuff guy in the carpark waitin for it to pick up all summer long. sorry, but im only up for the first, gimme a wakeboard or skater any day over the second.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:21 pm

Monterey Bay man is integral to all that makes Realsurf real. If all we can muster is little clones of ourselves up and down the coast, jumping up and down and squealing about how its either flat as or garn orrrrff then its a pretty sad scene all round.
There are numerous "characters" ( in the widest possible definition of the word) that seem to float in and out of Realsurf and they all bring colour and groove in their own wacked way.

Vive la difference! Life and let live, Ju nin to iro ( ask Stuey about that one kids), each to their own etc........

The simple fact that this dude is happy to come in from his sessions and get all creative with a laptop and a thesaurus brings a smile to my face. He is pretty committed to his reports and what he writes has a much relevance to where I go surfing as anyone else on the lists reports.

Whats next? Ban Larry or Stu?

tune in & turn on people