Glassing, resin/hardener ratio, fins.

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Doug_Rail

Glassing, resin/hardener ratio, fins.

Post by Doug_Rail » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:20 am

Ok, I've decided to shape my second board after my first attempt did'nt turn out too bad. But this time I'm going to glass it and make the fins as well. I have a rough idea about the order in which to glass it, but have no idea on the amount of resin to use and the resin/hardener ratio. Can anybody help me out?

Also. How many layers and which ounce cloth would I use to make the fins?

Some tips from someone who has given it a go would be helpful too.

Thanks

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Re: Glassing, resin/hardener ratio, fins.

Post by dUg » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Doug_Rail wrote:Ok, I've decided to shape my second board after my first attempt did'nt turn out too bad. But this time I'm going to glass it and make the fins as well. I have a rough idea about the order in which to glass it, but have no idea on the amount of resin to use and the resin/hardener ratio. Can anybody help me out?

Also. How many layers and which ounce cloth would I use to make the fins?

Some tips from someone who has given it a go would be helpful too.

Thanks
There are some *proper* board makers here who *might* offer some insight, but until they comment you might elaborate on

- what sort of board ( longboard / minimal / shortboard )
- what sort of blank ( EPS or regular PU type )
- what sort of resin ( Poly or Epoxy )

Basic outfit for a typical shortboard for small - average size surf is a PU blank ( like you can buy from your local shaper for $40 - $80 ) & 4 oz standard fibreglass cloth ( 2 layers deck, one on bottom ). Polyester resin use anything from 1 - 3% hardener, add styrene for sand coats ( none for laminating ).

Heavier blokes or heavier surf might call for 6 + 4oz on the deck. Minimals / mals are often glasssed heavier.

As far as fins go are you making short or longboard fins? Solid glass ( laminated ) or composite core ( honeycomb, bamboo etc. )? Glassed-in or fin system ( FCS / Futures )?

I've made about ten boards and about two hundred fins, each of various types.

I still have no idea. :shock: