Drawing on fins

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

haysie
regular

Drawing on fins

Post by haysie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:23 pm

Buenos dias Muchachos.

Having recently done some work on both my board and fins with sharpie and whiteboard markers (I run a pretty high-tec operation) I am now looking for a way to seal it on there. If I were to have a clear nail polish top coat (particularly on the fins) would it have any adverse affect on the water flow?
Braithy - I can look at a guy like Sonny Bill Williams, his physique and face, and appreciate, he's a good looking guy

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Re: Drawing on fins

Post by Yuke Hunt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:41 am

Boards that have been emblazoned with polka pen artwork usually get a protective coat of something like pro-tech over the top.

Don't know why you'd bother doodling on the fins though. Sounds like a monumental waste of time to me.

Can't you just put stickers on the board like the rest of the kids do when trying to emulate their idols.

If you insist on going down this path ... a clear lacquer purchased from an art supply store (non water based) should suffice to seal and protect the scribbles.

We want pictures of this ... you do know that don't you ?
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

haysie
regular

Post by haysie » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:03 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

This is one I knocked up just to make the shitty M7's seem more appealing -

Braithy - I can look at a guy like Sonny Bill Williams, his physique and face, and appreciate, he's a good looking guy

haysie
regular

Post by haysie » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:04 pm

Not exactly a Monet, but fun to do! :lol:

Kauffy
regular

Post by Kauffy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:37 pm

Yes to what others have said, automotive acrylic has worked well for me before. I will be doing a few of my fins over the next couple of days... I will likely prime mine first then work on a base color with sharpies and what not. Ill shoot some pics up.

I think if you've got the time and a bit of talent it can definitely add some uniqueness to your board! :-D-:

Kauffy
regular

Post by Kauffy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:49 pm

So got around to doing some scribbles this weekend, just primed, sprayed orange then worked with sharpies and black markers. Finished with an acrylic top coat... Happy with the result, would consider doing a few more and put a bit more effort into them (these were really just some scribbles)

whatta ya think??
Attachments
dfd.JPG
dfd.JPG (27.81 KiB) Viewed 3464 times

Kauffy
regular

Post by Kauffy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:29 pm

61 views and no opinions? A few people suggested i should do some and try to sell them... I guess as the online surfing community would you want something like these on your board?