Centre of Mass / Maximum Area Profile

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Centre of Mass / Maximum Area Profile

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:03 pm

wingy maybe these are examples of how the AkuShaper software can fcuk with your head.

Foil = thickness distribution and is critical to most surfboard design. MAP is only a crude representation of it. I guess it's kinda cool the software even goes there but your eye will tell you way more than MAP.

Centre Of Mass, well yeah, again pretty sorta fundamental to board design, v obvious in any board, surely where you want to leave the most foam is uppermost in any designer's head. Various genres of board follow various basic rules here, ie a quad being a member of the twin-fin family and thus capable of being ridden from slightly further forward tends to prefer a wide pt/thickness a bit further forward than a thruster, which is a member of the single fin family and thus generally prefers the rider to be standing fractionally further back.

You want to be thinking about these things from the very base of your designing; if Aku has got you thinking about 'em then great, but don't rely on the software to tell you what to do next.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:35 am

Centre of mass is sort of transient, once you put in plugs and deck patches it shifts a lot.
They're both a way of mapping foil but I don't think they help all that much. Rocker apex is something that I got hung up on for a while before I learnt how to move my feet more.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
thruster, which is a member of the single fin family and thus generally prefers the rider to be standing fractionally further back.
Bollocks!

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:04 pm

I like the volume distribution to be identical to the area distribution, it's not hard to figure out what that means.