Artwork Ideas ... PLEASE

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: Artwork Ideas ... PLEASE

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:02 am

nineteen97.tif
nineteen97.tif (63.73 KiB) Viewed 6131 times

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:22 pm

anything with solid colours and tape you should be right with.

i'm not much good myself but have come up with some reasonable posca pen jobs suprisignly. i'm halfway through one now and I have the feeling i might have bitten off more than i can chew!! we'll see!!

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:25 pm

Hey Wingy, you got any kids or a girl? I had a mate who got his girl into it an she was a cracking arty girl and his board now hangs in a café. Also know that a few folks (Pridmore for instance) who get their kids to do some artwork. Personally I always challenge myself to have a go at something I've never done, it is always rewarding. There are heaps of options on youtube.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:46 pm

The surf decals guy posts on here as SDC. Maybe send him a pm.
Or check with fong. Pretty sure he's fb friends with him.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:02 am

Dependd how patient you arr wingnut, next artwork for me will be using paint and brush then doing some very small dot work in the shape of the maltese cross, if ideas are short hY ask the kids for inspiration
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:48 am

Hey Wingy, you haven't got any pet signage companies around? You could have a vinyl cut done and use it as stencil.

Or as Trev said, get SDC (surfdecals) to print out with some other graphics, you are doing enough boards. I can can supply the proper file.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:10 pm

wingnut2443 wrote: I just remembered, I did not put any MEKP into a small batch of lam to go under the black probox decal ... sh1t I wonder if it has set under it ... have to check when I get home ... arghhh, she's back :evil:
Depends on the size of the black area, opacity of the ink and decal as a whole…

All resin goes off in time even if it becomes a thick goo, if you don't believe me, leave a can open.

Slow down matey. Curing of normal resin is quite quick then plateaus for yonks.

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:14 pm

If you need some help with your decals and artwork, drop us an email or check out our website.
Be stoked to help out.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:21 am

wingnut2443 wrote:Sanded the cutlap and even with the baste I STILL managed to get the foam ... arghhh ... note to self, don't fold the paper over and SLOW THE darn DOWN !
Different methodology may be called for W-Nut. Sanding is fraught with disaster, one tilt the wrong way and you are cooked.

Try the Surform blade scrape followed by the edge of a Stanley blade. Or just go the blade.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:06 am

wingnut2443 wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:
wingnut2443 wrote:Sanded the cutlap and even with the baste I STILL managed to get the foam ... arghhh ... note to self, don't fold the paper over and SLOW THE darn DOWN !
Different methodology may be called for W-Nut. Sanding is fraught with disaster, one tilt the wrong way and you are cooked.

Try the Surform blade scrape followed by the edge of a Stanley blade. Or just go the blade.
mmm ... surform I can understand, but a stanley blade?

Do you mean just the blade, to "cut" the dags and lap ... or to "scrape" the edge?

Surform to hit the high spots, can see that, but what about getting the edge down so it become invisible when filler coated and sanded?

Also, I did the filler coat on the deck without any sanding ... laminated, let it kick in the sun, the into the shed and filler coated it, then back to the sun to kick ... left it overnight and it's set really nice this morning, not tacky and quite smooth ... I painted the filler coat around the rails and onto the laps on the bottom, so hopefully the sanding process there will be a bit easier this time ...

Off to work now, so, probably give it a sand to tonight, and maybe hit the bottom with filler coat in the morning.
i've found a right angle air die grinder with a 3" 3M "rotoloc" backing disc and 40grit is the best tool for smoothing the lap edges.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Yes, scrape the lap with an upright new, clean of oil, Stanley blade on the VK axis as shown in Matt's diagram. Also good around the nose and tail area where glass should overlap.

Same story with the Surform blade, hand held run at an angle to the lap to get it to cut and using the VK axis. Clean the blade with an off-cut of foam first as they can be a bit rusty.

I used to use a valve grinder as per P-A but when it starts spitting oil and farking up compressors by overworking them you tend to give 'em away.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm

i know a lot of people say to do it, but personally i dont think acetone is a good idea anywhere near a surfboard!

you could try to do a second thin hot coat, make it HOT with lots of mekp, and that should hopefully kick the stuff underneath.