New Hollow board

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

spork
barnacle

Re: New Hollow board

Post by spork » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:33 pm

I like flex too Mustkill, but its a speed killer in fat waves. Interesting anecdote: I had a couple of firewires, the first ones with the balsa rails, one 6'4" and one 6'0". Anyways, I rekon they are a very confusing board because some days you would sleep with em the go so good and other days they are the biggest dog. I travelled with em and they go okay OS especially in good clean waves. I thought it was the weight that makes em such a crap board in chop but it turns out that its the flex making the kind of 'bobble' under foot. I had a few mates have a go on them and lo and behold it was generally the bigger guys with a wide stance that got em to go good. I'm short and have a narrow stance and I rekon that that makes em bend in the middle, strengthening the rocker and making them bog, especially in fat waves and chop, even worse in a combo of both, which as you may know is pretty common around here. Check out Taj's wide stance and he ripped on em. So maybe? the wide stance flattens them out, especially when pumping, and that makes em go better? Anyway the Parrot Fish is made for fat Bonny Hills at 4'-6', especially if the point isn't working, i'll probably have to wait till autumn to see it works.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:27 am

alakaboo wrote:As a woodworking person, any advice on fixing up a table that has been very poorly treated?
It's solid Huon pine, been left outside for years, wood seems okay apart from surface weathering, but the boards are badly cupped.
Well I finally had a chance to have a decent go at this table...
Taking the varnish off meant it dried out evenly and was almost completely flat. Win.
Unfortunately when I started sanding I realised that it is fairly rotten in some parts and has some big splits and knots. The base fell apart to reveal an ant nest and the supports cracked in half when I took some of the bolts out.

If I get permission to repurpose the wood, I'm going to see if I can get it milled into some veneers and made into a longboard...a few of the crew on here may be involved. Will post some pics if it gets off the ground.

Otherwise I may be able to salvage the top boards, and give the rest of the solid bits to my uncle for turning.

tonka79
regular

Post by tonka79 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:00 pm

looks good nicko!