The Real Surf Backyarderz ... who are you?

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Jorgo
Local

Re: The Real Surf Backyarderz ... who are you?

Post by Jorgo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:08 pm

Wingy - over the years many cock ups - gouges when planes flipped as it tripped on its cord. Or sanding blocks that caught and gouged, And too or like everybody, carrying blank (almost finished) from temp shaping area back into the house so dogs cats and bush turkeys dont take chunks out of it - only to bash and bruise on door jamb or ceiling or stairs.
And like everybody else - just cant leave it alone, so take another sweep on this rail to try and achieve perfection (well in my eye at least) only to find i need to do a cut and a half on the opposite rail.
Glassing with either too hot a mix and loosing it half way through. I think about board number 4 I bought some cheap glass from Dions - they'd had a fire and it was going cheap - so as a 15 year old it seemed like a good idea at the time. Wrong - you couldnt see the scorch marks from the fire till i had laminated it. Ended up looking a bit like desert cammo when i wetted it out. :cry:
Current glasser lives west of Pottsville about 8klms - If you need a good job he's ya man - but dont want it in a hurry te he.
And yes i live the back of the Goldy for the last 25 years - but I'm a school bud of Ric Vidal - two years his senior and we surfed the same childhood beach (North Steyne) for many many years :~

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:24 am

Cock-ups, happens to everyone… plenty of trips and slides off the stringer with a plane or spoke shave. Rip and tare with a Surform, sand throughs, the list is long and meaningful.

Knock, bumps, finger marks, contaminated glass as J-Lo said, is a pain you just don't see it until it is wetted out.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:32 pm

ahh jeez saltman, that is nice work, that thread by yorky was a cracker wasnt it, dropped in on his factory at coolum when he was there just to see his bonzer, it was bloody beautiful I tell ya
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:50 pm

next one saltman, it looks like you did a cracker of a job
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:56 am

Saltman, what the blue, tail rail reinforcement made of?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:52 am

saltman wrote:Ric - I will find out exactly the material - I wouldnt be surprised if its the same stuff the guys from Inlayz use, as it is very fine but improves impact resistence considerably
http://www.inlayz.net/home/about/
bascially an efective, easier to use and more aestheticly pleasing alternative to carbon
Thanks S-man…

Carbon, must admit I'm not convinced of it's value in most surfboard construction, especially with polyester resin.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:16 am

Wow, that's interesting stuff, S.

The hex pattern is what? Cosmetic or part of the function of the material?

Same board design you posted in the 'R-TAK' thread I take it? Looks like fun… for the young.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:36 pm

saltman wrote::oops: Young at heart Mr Ric ..... (it hides a lot of volume)
That'll do.

Forgot about Inlayz, trouble with such things is they are fairly expensive, not saying it isn't justified though.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:42 pm

Matticus Finch wrote: Theres something I find quite amusing about the idea of cosmetically impersonating reinforcement material.
Have a look at these, M-F.

http://www.coilsurf.com/page11/page11.html

When you think you have 'em worked out let me know.

Have had a couple in my hands and there is a fair bit of smoke 'n' mirrors going on, and I think they admit to a certain amount of cosmetics. They are tough though, no two ways about it.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Saltman, just give me the material bugger the graphics, although yours does add some class.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:40 pm

I just read the whole thread, dunno how I missed it before. You've probly all seen my hollow biscuit thread, but I'm a backyarder from waaaay back. By backyarder do you mean 'not selling em retail'? I started in the 80's making my own sailboards. I can't remember the author but I had a book called 'making your own surfboard' (duh) and it was my bible, sadly I seem to have lost it somewhere. Anyway, made about 10 of em from all wavejumpers except for a couple of speed guns, one of which was glassed with carbon fibre and clocked over 60kmh on lake Macquarie, 10ft long and 14in wide and featuring a deep double concave bottom. Most of the boards worked pretty well and one in particular was a cracker and got me into the finals of the NSW titles where I snapped it in half at Blacksmiths. As for surfboards, I've made 6 now, a couple Ive shown on here under another name (chillin) including this restoration/rebirth which now lives with a mate at Burleigh Heads.
http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... =9&t=16784
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:57 pm

wingnut2443 wrote:So, there's a few us of on here now ... like I posted :\ in Damo's thread ...

So who are we all ... I counted so far:

Newbies

me,
matticus ...
damo
saltman (ok, I add you here?)

More Seasoned Crew

ledge
ric_vidal
digger,
beerfan
pirate agenda,

Who else?
You need to create another category... "long suffering". ;)

I've only managed about 10 boards in 15 years ( first go was in 1997 ).

Pushed out 2 this year ( both compsand ) and about to wade into the shed and start on the third.

Last good one I made was Easter 2010, both this years were duds.

Three have gone great, two went OK, the rest were shockers that either snapped, sank, or were virtually unsurfable.

Builds are detailed in other threads, including one of my first botched jobs the Carbo Rail Epoxy Flyer.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:56 am

dUg wrote:including one of my first botched jobs the Carbo Rail Epoxy Flyer.
® patent pending

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:29 pm

I have a heap of Ozito stuff, belt sander, drill, orbital sander, etc. had no trouble with any of em.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:40 pm

wingnut2443 wrote:
spork wrote:I have a heap of Ozito stuff, belt sander, drill, orbital sander, etc. had no trouble with any of em.
Matticus Finch wrote:Yep - all my stuff is oztio, had no trouble with any so far and a three year easy over the counter warranty means it doesn't matter anyway.
OK, me too ...in the shed ... Sander Polisher, Plunge Router, Hammer Drill, Cordless 18v Drill, Circular Saw, Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, Jigsaw, Barrel Planer, Garden Shredder ... not all used for board making >><<

Having typed that list, I now vaguely recall I posted it somewhere on here before ... :roll:
Pretty sure it was in one of Digger's threads. I seem to remember him talking about Ozito products and others chiming in.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:49 am

spork wrote:I have a heap of Ozito stuff, belt sander, drill, orbital sander, etc. had no trouble with any of em.
i'm onto my 4th ozitio sander polisher on the one warranty. last time the girl renewed the warranty too, so probly get 4 more!

I'm averaging 15 boards per ozito, ok for backyarderz, but not so much in production where down time = money down the drain.

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:23 pm

saltman wrote:Ric
Confirmed today they are the same material as the inLayZ in the above post
The hex is for appearance and they do improve impact resistance considerably

So there you go they are simple, strong , cheap and look the part !
--- :D - just like me !

So does anyone know what the actual material used is? I am with Ric... I'd just like to grab myself some sheet and use it to glass into a deck for re-inforcement.

Also LOL at the making graphics resemble re-inforcement. I am seriously considering adding white pigment to the resin to hide the carbon fibre rail tape on my latest board. It's just so hard to make it look nice unless you do the whole board in 6oz Carbon cloth. :-? :shock:

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:27 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
dUg wrote:including one of my first botched jobs the Carbo Rail Epoxy Flyer.
® patent pending
LOL or maybe "patent dispute pending" Ric :D

I am working on new tech now anyway... carbon is soooooo 1998.

Ever heard of "H" stringers? I am positive I am the first ever back yarder to use this innovation. :P