6'6'' seconds blank

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

purple pyramids
barnacle

6'6'' seconds blank

Post by purple pyramids » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:53 am

i have a seconds blank from surfblanks sitting in the attic that just isn't going to get used anytime soon. well, not till i get a backyard, shed or garage. i thought someone else might be able to make better use of it.
it cost me $66, yours for $30. bondi jnct area.
6'6'' Kneeboard Fish; width--25'' ; thickness--3 1/16''; features--Fish or kneeboard rockers

http://www.surfblanksaustralia.com/inde ... &Itemid=35

purple pyramids
barnacle

Re: 6'6'' seconds blank

Post by purple pyramids » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:45 am

OK. you bastards drive a hard bargain -- $20 it is.
builders are coming in two week to put a floor down in the attic. has to be gone by then, otherwise they get it.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:26 pm

sorry to disappoint -- damo got in with a pm first.
the blank is gone

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:12 pm

Thanks for your time P_P, it was great to meet you and put a face on another realsurfer!

I have put the sunny weekend to good use and started on the board. Its going to be a fishy/funboardy type thing for little waves, wide in the nose & through the middle for easy paddling, with a bit of a pulled in tail to turn off - 6'6" x 21 1/2" x 3".

I'm thinking full boxy 80's style rails, and am not really sure what to do on the bottom (its all flat at the moment). I would gladly take any recommendations on what to do on this type of board?

Hoping to finish off the rails and get glassing during the week.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:55 am

where is this up to guys
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Matticus - its funny how things work, I went from Canberra to Syd to grab it!
I agree, similar style of boards that we are making in a sense (easy paddling 'old blokes' boards!!). I actually thought long and hard about making this one into a nugget style before deciding on this shape. I'll be watching your thread with interest!

Digger - the shaping is pretty much done, I cut out the swallow tail this arvo and marked out the fin placements.
I'll be sticking plugs a 5-fin arrangement (McKee) to allow thruster or quad, but reckon I will mostly ride it as a thruster.

Hopefully glassing this weekend.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:08 pm

nice to meet you, damo and the kids.
no wasting time there! straight down to work. looking good.

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:45 am

Got my board hotcoated last night.

Had some issues with massivley lumpy rails in the lam coat (think I left too much resin in them - will try the brush method for lapping rails next time), and spent the good part of a week sanding them back. No real issues apart from that, I even tried some ricepaper logo's for the first time.

Very happy with the way it is coming along, cant wait to give it a shot in some little summer waves!

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:30 am

Wingnut, the bottom is fairly simple - flat entry, slight doubles in the middle, to a little vee out the back. I'm just going with simple FCS plugs on this one. I have used Shapers 's-plugs' on may last few, but I find the install a little messy in having to drill two different sized holes.

Matticus - yep, you got it. We have a van at Barlings so anywhere from the Rosedale to the Moruya wall is where I end up. Do you get back down this way often? And yeah, as an afterthought I added a 6oz patch as I tend to trash the deck fairly easily duckdiving.

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:01 am

Thats one of the great things about shed time, it takes your mind off the other important things whilst you are fiddling around. I hope things turn around for you Matticus, and I'll keep an eye out for the yellow nugget in the lineup!

MIne is done, got the plugs in and sanded it over the weekend. Looking forward to giving it a run soon.

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:52 am

Matticus Finch wrote:how did your kids go on the mini simmons thing you made?
Sorry, just saw this. The simmons went OK for me, but as I had made it to adult specs (3" thick) it was just waaaay too boaty for the kids. They couldnt turn it.

After seeing the little short movies attached to the latest Surfing World, I am contemplating making another one with the same planshape, but 2 1/8 thick.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:00 am

Looking good damo, had it out yet??

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:31 am

HI Beerfan, yeah I had it out in some 1ft dribble last weekend with 1000 Mal riders.

Sadly I was a little underwhelmed. With that much volume it dosent really turn as well as I would like, but on the flip side - dosent have quite enough to paddle as well as I would want. Not sure what I was expecting really, but it was a bit stuck between the two extremes.

It would probably be a really good thing as a beginner board though, very stable & forgiving.

I do want to give it a crack in some better waves, but it may be back to the drawing board...