FFW - Wingnut's Backyard Boards

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts

Fuschia
Duke Status

Re: FFW - Wingnut's Backyard Boards

Post by Fuschia » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:43 pm

swvic wrote:I've sometimes wanted to post pics straight from the web. Way too many times I've got the message

"Unable to determine the size of the image"

Just once I posted a paint image (my own) successfully. Stuffed if I know how I did it as it seems pics already have to be in the public domain. It's painful and I've pretty much given up

Even spork's instruction doesn't extend to actually getting the pic posted

Trev, how about a step by step guide that always stays at the top of Tangents? We're missing out on some good stuff

Yeah OK, sw, I'll put something together but give me a few days. The house is full of my son's family from Canada and it's a bit hectic here.
There are directions somewhere in the archives but I'll start from scratch rather than go looking for them.
I've also asked Don to talk to sone of our resident photographers about improving the overall situation, but I don't think he's (Don) done anything about it yet.
Loofy wrote
"when i lived in Bellevue hill"

lol :-o

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:50 pm

Trev wrote:
swvic wrote:I've sometimes wanted to post pics straight from the web. Way too many times I've got the message

"Unable to determine the size of the image"

Just once I posted a paint image (my own) successfully. Stuffed if I know how I did it as it seems pics already have to be in the public domain. It's painful and I've pretty much given up

Even spork's instruction doesn't extend to actually getting the pic posted

Trev, how about a step by step guide that always stays at the top of Tangents? We're missing out on some good stuff

Yeah OK, sw, I'll put something together but give me a few days. The house is full of my son's family from Canada and it's a bit hectic here.
There are directions somewhere in the archives but I'll start from scratch rather than go looking for them.
I've also asked Don to talk to sone of our resident photographers about improving the overall situation, but I don't think he's (Don) done anything about it yet.

Trev, I know you do your best mate, but as a internet dummy here its just so easy on sways and wish it could be that way on realsurf, I just want to be able to take it straight off my computer without the mucking about and past it here without resizing or crap like that, just two clicks and done, but thats just me mate :oops:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Fuschia
Duke Status

Post by Fuschia » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:50 pm

wingnut2443 wrote:
diggerdickson wrote: ... I just want to be able to take it straight off my computer without the mucking about and past it here without resizing or crap like that, just two clicks and done, but that's just me mate :oops:

That's it in a nutshell ...

Trev, yes, maybe easier than trying to glass and sand a board, but, after doing that, coming on here to share (I like to give back, having found info on here to help me) it needs to be easy ... the 'compress' edit with "picture manager" is how I've been doing it, but, it's just too much mucking around ... :cry:

I've got a heap of pic's to share, but having to edit each one is a pain, and time consuming process ...

Like digger said, over on swaylocks, it's just a process of uploading the image, no edit required ...

Trev, not sure of the reason why it is set so low, but the file upload size limit is the issue, and simple solution is to increase that, which should be a 'set up' "parameter" or "function" within the phpbb software ... I found this https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1626605 doing a quick search ...

Seems this file size limit has been an issue for a while on here ... I wonder how many other users have decided to just move on and not provide the feedback like we (me and digger) have?

Nah mate, plenty of feedback. It's been an issue for a while (since the ads down the right hand side).
But the real issue is space that the site pays for. I don't know how Swaylocks does it but there is a major increase in cost to the site's owner when you have lots of photos downloaded directly. As Don still makes up the shortfall out of his own pocket, it ain't gonna change any time soon.
There has been plenty of discussion before but it has always hinged around the loss of a third of the page, thereby reducing the impact of a good pic.
There's not been anyone else as far as I can remember who had issues with uploading via a third party site like photobucket.
And as far as I can discover, the use of a third party hosting site is the more normal practice on web forums. (not that my experience in this area is wide but I did go digging a while back and apart from Swaylocks, everyone I looked at did it this way.
I have suggested to Don how he can make allowance for large pics to be displayed on here without upsetting the current page layout but he is dependent on a friend to do some coding.
Loofy wrote

Fuschia
Duke Status

Post by Fuschia » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi wingy,
I honestly don't know how much is involved, so it may well not be a lot.

And I know web hosting is getting a lot cheaper but as I say, it seems to be an issue with a lot of forums.
I've added it all to the list but it'll be next month before I get to have an in-depth discussion with him again.

I'll never take things the wrong way. It's all useful information for me.
Loofy wrote

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:22 pm

wingnut2443 wrote: How'd this thread go from being about board building to website hosting ...

Spongy piece of shit anyway, isn't it :?: :lol:
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:29 am

Honestly mate, I admire you and everyone else who has a crack at it

Had a mate who made boards when we were teenagers. He was getting good at it and then fcuked up his life with drugs. He's dead now. I used to do filler/finish coats for him. I'd watch a bit of the shaping and glassing so I have an good idea of the whole process. Also fixed dings for Peter White who's now making longboards in Qld. Watched him a bit too

Still can't see myself ever doing one. Hope your tweaks turn into lemonade
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:53 pm

thats the way wingnut, i havent really been happy with any Ive shaped so far, keep it going, keep building, the more you make the closer you get, and the more beers you get to have whilst making them.

im jealous of ya mate as i dont get to shape no more, but will agian one day, maybe :(

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:49 pm

fongss wrote:It was so good see u laughing today digger. And i know your busy....but i dont suppose u might find some time cut some channels :idea: into my newie could ya.?...deep channels :lol: too help direct the blood and skin...opps i mean water flow :wink:

bahahahaha, that huge chunk of foam is going to be so dangerous :lol: :lol: :lol:, and that fin is just perfect, I think this is the first and last time I will ever hear of someone who bought a blank to suit a fin found magically in the surf :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: A weapon indeed it will be ( said in my best yoda imitation)

I doubt I will find time to shape in the channels fong :( Im just going to be so so busy getting ready to leave on my family trip, the date is set and every bit of time off will now truly count. Im was hoping to get a blank to huei from john gillis but I doubt I will even have time to do that, I just am going hard core on the bus.

Once the bus is completed and ready to move into if I have time spare before I go sure, would love to cut em in, running half way up the board, lol, with that big arse fin nice and sharp, it will go fantastic in a straight line, 50/50 rails, nice and sharp, cutting edge fin technology, a deck concave to wash the blood away and wait for peak crowds at tee tree, just let me know when your going, I will bring a bucket of golf balls and a 1 wood to get those that you miss.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:09 pm

ahh you got a "slab" i see.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:49 am

good stuff guys, I will try to follow your blog for sure wingnut, love to see ya progress as you go along

Fuschia
Duke Status

Post by Fuschia » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:02 am

wingnut2443 wrote:Hey, well done matticus ... look forward to hearing about your progress.

Not sure if this is acceptable here, so Trev, I'm happy to delete ...

With the "image" issues I decided to start a blog ... signed up for a free 'wordpress' site ... and have started to build that as time permits ... I've gone back and have added some historical posts and will fill in the missing bits as time allows ...

It is here: http://www.ffwsurfboards.wordpress.com http://ffwsurfboards.wordpress.com/

Also, if you are on facebook, I have the wordpress blog posting updates onto the "FFW Surfboards" page ... you can find it here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/FFW-Surfboards/487446967942476

No problems mate.
Loofy wrote

saltman
Harry the Hat

Post by saltman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:26 pm

I began this little project on the weekend - apologies about the pic my phone reacted badly to the dust

Will have a finished shot next week
Attachments
THE START.jpg
crabmeat thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:40 pm
we need more doctors advocating anal sex!

saltman
Harry the Hat

Post by saltman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:58 am

I am attempting a 5 fin Bonzer - after 6 months of going through the hows and whys and wtfs - I had to get it out of my system
If it doesnt work I will have about $200 of fins for sale :oops:
The shape scrubbed up very nicely and is with the laminator now
crabmeat thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:40 pm
we need more doctors advocating anal sex!

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:37 am

Matticus Finch wrote:
wingnut2443 wrote:I added the concave

I guess my mind is stuck in the traditional, the thing is here you are "adding" concave not subtracting it. I hadn't even thought about it like that. You are adding foam to the board, not something you can do with a planer and sandpaper. The computer shaping is whole other way of thinking about it. I will definitely be playing with it in the future, but I keep swinging from liking it to thinking I should avoid it. At the end of the day it's just another tool, and as long as you use it that way it can be a good thing. It's when you restrict your imagination by placing limitations on what you can do with it that can make it a problem. Guns don't kill people etc...
:D

Matticus, im along your lines, I do everything by hand, nothing on machine, maybe its my age, maybe im old fashioned, I dont mind machines, John Gillis managed to change my mind on that and i even ride one of his boards. I just want to learn first to do the whole thing by hand, from go to wo, and then I might look at aku. I enjoy the process to much to want a machine to do it for me at this time.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:08 am

such a shame with the photo issue on this site, but luckily trev helps me out here, but one day they will fix it.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:18 pm

I saw these, always wanted one because they are just so pretty, but would love a japenese plane to get into the nose.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:01 pm

wingnut2443 wrote:
Matticus Finch wrote: ... Oh that looks awesome ...

Yeah, it's a nice little tool ...

Just gotta find something that will do the stringer on the vertical plane at the tail after I've cut the blank square ... that plane is good for the nose, but the tail, being more length and across the grain of the stringer more is a but harder ... I just use it an 'chip' away at it at the moment ... maybe a larger 'normal' plane will work better?

you could try taping the foam either side of the stringer and sand it with a hard block and 80 grit.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:32 am

i'm reading. howd the cut lap go?