FFW - Wingnut's Backyard Boards

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: FFW - Wingnut's Backyard Boards

Post by Trev » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi wingy,
I honestly don't know how much is involved, so it may well not be a lot.

And I know web hosting is getting a lot cheaper but as I say, it seems to be an issue with a lot of forums.
I've added it all to the list but it'll be next month before I get to have an in-depth discussion with him again.

I'll never take things the wrong way. It's all useful information for me.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:22 pm

wingnut2443 wrote: How'd this thread go from being about board building to website hosting ...
Spongy piece of shit anyway, isn't it :?: :lol:
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:29 am

Honestly mate, I admire you and everyone else who has a crack at it

Had a mate who made boards when we were teenagers. He was getting good at it and then fcuked up his life with drugs. He's dead now. I used to do filler/finish coats for him. I'd watch a bit of the shaping and glassing so I have an good idea of the whole process. Also fixed dings for Peter White who's now making longboards in Qld. Watched him a bit too

Still can't see myself ever doing one. Hope your tweaks turn into lemonade
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:53 pm

thats the way wingnut, i havent really been happy with any Ive shaped so far, keep it going, keep building, the more you make the closer you get, and the more beers you get to have whilst making them.

im jealous of ya mate as i dont get to shape no more, but will agian one day, maybe :(
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:49 pm

fongss wrote:It was so good see u laughing today digger. And i know your busy....but i dont suppose u might find some time cut some channels :idea: into my newie could ya.?...deep channels :lol: too help direct the blood and skin...opps i mean water flow :wink:
bahahahaha, that huge chunk of foam is going to be so dangerous :lol: :lol: :lol:, and that fin is just perfect, I think this is the first and last time I will ever hear of someone who bought a blank to suit a fin found magically in the surf :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: A weapon indeed it will be ( said in my best yoda imitation)

I doubt I will find time to shape in the channels fong :( Im just going to be so so busy getting ready to leave on my family trip, the date is set and every bit of time off will now truly count. Im was hoping to get a blank to huei from john gillis but I doubt I will even have time to do that, I just am going hard core on the bus.

Once the bus is completed and ready to move into if I have time spare before I go sure, would love to cut em in, running half way up the board, lol, with that big arse fin nice and sharp, it will go fantastic in a straight line, 50/50 rails, nice and sharp, cutting edge fin technology, a deck concave to wash the blood away and wait for peak crowds at tee tree, just let me know when your going, I will bring a bucket of golf balls and a 1 wood to get those that you miss.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:09 pm

ahh you got a "slab" i see.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:49 am

good stuff guys, I will try to follow your blog for sure wingnut, love to see ya progress as you go along

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:02 am

wingnut2443 wrote:Hey, well done matticus ... look forward to hearing about your progress.

Not sure if this is acceptable here, so Trev, I'm happy to delete ...

With the "image" issues I decided to start a blog ... signed up for a free 'wordpress' site ... and have started to build that as time permits ... I've gone back and have added some historical posts and will fill in the missing bits as time allows ...

It is here: http://www.ffwsurfboards.wordpress.com http://ffwsurfboards.wordpress.com/

Also, if you are on facebook, I have the wordpress blog posting updates onto the "FFW Surfboards" page ... you can find it here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/FFW-Surfb ... 6967942476
No problems mate.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:37 am

Matticus Finch wrote:
wingnut2443 wrote:I added the concave
I guess my mind is stuck in the traditional, the thing is here you are "adding" concave not subtracting it. I hadn't even thought about it like that. You are adding foam to the board, not something you can do with a planer and sandpaper. The computer shaping is whole other way of thinking about it. I will definitely be playing with it in the future, but I keep swinging from liking it to thinking I should avoid it. At the end of the day it's just another tool, and as long as you use it that way it can be a good thing. It's when you restrict your imagination by placing limitations on what you can do with it that can make it a problem. Guns don't kill people etc...
:D

Matticus, im along your lines, I do everything by hand, nothing on machine, maybe its my age, maybe im old fashioned, I dont mind machines, John Gillis managed to change my mind on that and i even ride one of his boards. I just want to learn first to do the whole thing by hand, from go to wo, and then I might look at aku. I enjoy the process to much to want a machine to do it for me at this time.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:08 am

such a shame with the photo issue on this site, but luckily trev helps me out here, but one day they will fix it.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:18 pm

I saw these, always wanted one because they are just so pretty, but would love a japenese plane to get into the nose.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:01 pm

wingnut2443 wrote:
Matticus Finch wrote: ... Oh that looks awesome ...
Yeah, it's a nice little tool ...

Just gotta find something that will do the stringer on the vertical plane at the tail after I've cut the blank square ... that plane is good for the nose, but the tail, being more length and across the grain of the stringer more is a but harder ... I just use it an 'chip' away at it at the moment ... maybe a larger 'normal' plane will work better?
you could try taping the foam either side of the stringer and sand it with a hard block and 80 grit.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:32 am

i'm reading. howd the cut lap go?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:13 am

Wingy, are your blanks matching your shapes? By that I mean is the deck-line as close tolerance as possible, if it isn't, that won't be helping your deck compression strength.

For my first blank cut I sent the file off and they came back to me with the recommended blank(s) and rocker to best suit. Thereafter, you don't know what is being trimmed off.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:55 am

Had a look at your blog, W-nut, the compressions look as bad as my first ultra light PINK blank from Surfblanks for what that is worth. I'm using the same density again for the R-Tak with a very different build for that very reason.

Over-cut or mismatched blanks is an issue, I have seen some 'orrible practices from the biggest 'names'.

Do you know what blank manufacturer your guys are using? I think it is time to get very actively involved in the process.

Commercial glassing probably won't make much difference unless you really over sanded to buggery which is kind of hard to do to a deck or bottom flat.

Polyester resin cures fairly rapidly initially, then goes in a very gradual curve over a long time, so unless you are going to cure for a very long time, which you won't, may as well smash 'em early.

If light is your mantra, it might be worth calculating the other way, denser blank, lighter glass. 1 x 6oz versus 2 x 4 deck?

2oz Innegra under 4oz on the deck should give you a pretty strong outcome. As Huie recommends, don't wrap the Innegra. JD uses it fairly extensively as 3/4 length under skins.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:40 am

wingnut - the innegra on the deck probably won't help much for denting - it does a better job of resisting cracks, snaps, ding and creases - but still dents.

I also probably wouldn't use it without vacuum, as it soaks up a lot of resin - meaning a good 6+4 lam is probably going to weigh the same be just as strong and cost a lot less.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:57 pm

pirate_agenda wrote:wingnut - the innegra on the deck probably won't help much for denting - it does a better job of resisting cracks, snaps, ding and creases - but still dents.
I've got a couple that say otherwise - dent resistance that is. Not that they don't dent, just nowhere near as much. But it needs to be used in combination, not as a substitute.

p-a is right, Wingy, Innegra is thristy, but if you are worried about weight you can use Innegra selectively i.e. just as impact patches.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:48 am

Call in Wingnut and I'll show you how to make a board that wont ding.......its called 'wood'. New space age material that literaly grows on trees. :-)(
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart