Broken Board. Is it forever rooted?????

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Topher
regular

Broken Board. Is it forever rooted?????

Post by Topher » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:42 pm

I'm shattered - only had 3 cracking surfs on this thing and this morning I exited the water with my board in two pieces. :(

Is it possible to repair a total break and still have a board that rides well. Anyone know any sydney ding doctors that will be able to do this without charging stupid $$$$$$$$$$.

It's a modern single fin 6x4 glassing I think - the tail end has been dismembered just above the finbox. Very clean break.

Natho
barnacle

Re: Broken Board. Is it forever rooted?????

Post by Natho » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:22 pm

You could get it fixed but it will never be the same and will most probably be even more prone to snapping once fixed.if it was me I would just put the money it's going to cost you to fix it towards a new board or second handy.

If it makes you feel better a mate of mine just snapped two boards in 15minutes. One brand newy as well as his fav board.He binned both of them.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:52 pm

Course it's worth fixing, standard price is around $150 in Torquay, go to a glassing factory, get it done by someone that has been doing it forever. I've had a few boards put back together over the years, sure there not the same, but there still good in a different way , I reckon my 8'4" went better after I broke 3' off the nose and got it fixed, I wasn't going to throw something away I had payed over $800 for the month before, it's been put back together twice now(it broke another 2' back) it's heavy but it goes good in stormy surf, cuts through the chop. :)

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:32 pm

You can repair the board and make it stronger than previously but there is usually a weight penalty, you can route a couple of slots into the blank & insert two mini "stringers" then glass over...the board will be really stiff but never feel the same though...

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:54 pm

Thanks for the responses guys.

As It's not a HP shorty for chucking around the place, the extra weight is fine. MIght try and get it fixed, but just got a quote of 300-400 :shock: from a restoration guru down here. Thats a bit exy methinks. Anyone know anywhere in sydney/'gong that could do a good job cheaper?

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:05 pm

The $150 I pay is just to get it repaired with a white spray to make it look decent, that's all you want a functional repair so you have a board to surf.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Breaking 3' off the nose and breaking a board down in the guts are two different things.getting the tail end fixed means the fixer has to get the concave, V or whatever the boards got right agan. A fair bit different to just putting a nose back on. If it was just a nose then it would not be such an issue, but you have kinda broken it in the worst spot you could unfortunately.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:35 pm

yeah, what Natho said.
Where you've broken it is pretty terminal.
Clean break suggests that the box area wasn't reinforced all that well, guessing also that it was put into a part of the board without all that much foam around it and with the routing out of the stringer there really wasn't much holding it together.

You can repair it, but unless it's a flat or V bottom and the guy is a great shaper, expect the magic to be gone.
Could be different magic, though, one of the best boards I've ridden was a single with exactly the same repairs, made it a bit heavier and improved it out of sight.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:59 am

As above. It'd be fixable, but it's a bad place for a snap.

The balance and flex will be affected, sometimes it's better if it breaks in the middle.

What do you mean by 6X4 glassing? 6 & 4 on deck and ? on bottom. Or just 6OZ one side and 4OZ the other? Whoever reckons 1 layer of glass each side of a std PU board is adequate, is deluded.

RE price. Being a single fin, has it been finished with a gloss coat, pinlines etc in a traditional manner? Or more like your std modern HP board? i.e white with flat acrylic finish? The latter is much easier to achieve a reasonable finish, and should be around $150. If it needs colour matching and polished finish coats etc expect the price to climb considerably.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:59 pm

tiger wrote:What do you mean by 6X4 glassing? 6 & 4 on deck and ? on bottom. Or just 6OZ one side and 4OZ the other? Whoever reckons 1 layer of glass each side of a std PU board is adequate, is deluded.
Heard of a lot worse, t-tiger, but I'll leave that to the idiots who buy them.

Topher, as confirmed $150 should do it. Personally, I think most snaps should be thrown or turned into something ornamental

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks again, I'll be having a good think about it. Maybe ill just cut my losses and get someone around here to make me another one. Certainly can't afford to buy a newy from TF

Tiger, its 6 oz on bottom and 4 oz + 6 oz on deck.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:19 pm

Topher wrote:Thanks again, I'll be having a good think about it. Maybe ill just cut my losses and get someone around here to make me another one. Certainly can't afford to buy a newy from TF

Tiger, its 6 oz on bottom and 4 oz + 6 oz on deck.

If you want real value for money get a JD. Sure it will cost you a couple of hungy more than $800 but you would be flat out breaking one. I think it has happened once or twice before but if my 3 (used to be four) are anything to go by they are the most durable and functional boards I have ever ridden..and I reckon I must be getting close to have owned 50 or 60 boards by now.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:46 pm

There has already been 3 or 4 emails exchanged with the JD man. :D :D :D

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Topher you anywhere near South Coast NSW? I know a good guy there who can do invisible fixes for clean breaks. PM me if the info's of any use to you.