Clearcoat Suggestions

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

LukeT

Clearcoat Suggestions

Post by LukeT » Tue May 15, 2012 2:46 pm

G'day!

I've done a board which is going to have some posca artwork done on the sanded hotcoat. Looking for some advice on an easy to use clearcoat. I've finished a few boards in the past with an automotive clear - buggered if I know what it was exactly - and was pretty happy with the results.

I don't really have a place to spray at the moment so I'm hoping someone can suggest another option.

Shapers have something called seal skin but they suggest re-applying it every 3-6 months so it's not really ideal.

Thanks.

gabsouy
regular

Re: Clearcoat Suggestions

Post by gabsouy » Tue May 15, 2012 3:29 pm

stick with the automotive clear, cheapest brand u can buy,can be thinned upto 50% with thinners if you using a spray gun, warm the board up in the sun for 5-10mins , 2-4 light coats, then leave to cure overnight or longer in a warm airy area. if using the rattle can method same thing board in the sun, spray can also in the sun for 15mins....cheap stuffs the go....your only trying to seal your posca art ---not the paint on your porsche. you dont really need anywhere special to spray, just a wind free area, tacks off quick if the boards warm.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Tue May 15, 2012 3:35 pm

Your first post after long-time-lurking and you ask a technical question :?
At least you could have had a go at Smmnnmtll, or jumped on the let's-all hate-tom-tom-and-his-shi.t-ugly-sig-gifs train.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Tue May 15, 2012 10:12 pm

I can tell you that Mr Blue Posca and Mr White Posca are not friends. You will need to employ some measure of Posca Apartheid or it will end in tears, that was certainly my experience. They both hate epoxy resin equally, but the mess from the blue is far harder to disguise.

gabsouy
regular

Post by gabsouy » Wed May 16, 2012 11:08 am

forgot to add ,volatile shit especialy if thinned- no naked flames or electrics on close by...wear a mask and eye protection.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed May 16, 2012 12:02 pm

gabsouy wrote:forgot to add ,volatile shit especialy if thinned- no naked flames or electrics on close by...wear a mask and eye protection.
where's the fun?

LukeT

Post by LukeT » Thu May 17, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks for all the replies. Think I'll take your advice Gabsouy and shoot it from a gun. I was toying with glossing it but am not sure how well it would stick.

Will post a piccie when I'm done.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu May 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Just buy the Septone clear gloss or satin from an automotive or other stockist.

Good nozzle, does the job.