BACKYARD SHAPERS

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: BACKYARD SHAPERS

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:44 am

Scroty wrote:
diggerdickson wrote:....if I can help out with tools I would be more than willing if your on the noosa side of the sunshine coast, happy to talk anytime and you could pop over to check out my pathetic by wonderful little space ive created for myself when I need to get away and have some me time
Thanks for the offer. I'm in Sydney NB though, but should be able to get some stuff from SDC and my brother in law who is a chippy. I've seen some of the photos of the shaping spaces on the forum and have some garage space and tarps so should be able to set something up.

I'll PM for more detailed questions as I go.

lighting, lighting, lighting, make a portable lighting stand for you side lights, two 4 foot lights making it 8 foot long with a good shelf above it to through out a good shadow, its a godsend mate. I also have one double fluro directly above the board as well.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Hey Dug, I think I turned my board into a dog with the rails. I was seeking a lower apex on the rails and got carried away :oops: With this board I kept everything very simple, nice single concave, pulled in the tail, had in mind having board suit a hollow wave so I wanted it to have a lower apex on the rail, oh well :roll:

I will glass this board, ive found a friend who is going to test ride it for me, thanks so much mate, from him Im going to get feedback on the bottom contours, the sharp edges at back of board, the rocker, stuff like that. Will be interesting to hear how badly the extremely low apex on the rails effect the board, this will be invaluable information to me. My other shapes have not had this sort of aspect in rails before.

Im moving back to a 3 bands in the rails and keeping them more boxy i think, must be more careful. If I let it get me down that would defeat the purpose of learning to shape, so will paint board, glass ( as it will be great pratice again) and set fcs, then sand the bugger and hand it over to my mark.

Will glass 6 bottom, 6 and 4 top, as dont want to make throw away board for my friend, so will be good feedback from mark on my glassing job as well. Could take another month as dont have much money to purchase resin and stuff, plus can only work on weekends and this weekend is a right off. Oh well

If anyone wants to see the shape on video you can find it on my facebook, remember I already know now after much soul searching its a right off and learning experience, heres the link.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php? ... 1805019833

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Hey guys, on sways at the moment they are starting to talk about round noses again, this topic always seems to come up when some horrific injury occurs, as backyarders lets see who can come up with the nicest looking roundnose, one that wont fit inside a eye socket, on the next board I do im going to try, ive got a nice coffee cup which should make a good nose, the challenge is out there for all who want to try.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:58 pm

diggerdickson wrote:Hey Dug, I think I turned my board into a dog with the rails. I was seeking a lower apex on the rails and got carried away :oops: With this board I kept everything very simple, nice single concave, pulled in the tail, had in mind having board suit a hollow wave so I wanted it to have a lower apex on the rail, oh well :roll:

I will glass this board, ive found a friend who is going to test ride it for me, thanks so much mate, from him Im going to get feedback on the bottom contours, the sharp edges at back of board, the rocker, stuff like that. Will be interesting to hear how badly the extremely low apex on the rails effect the board, this will be invaluable information to me. My other shapes have not had this sort of aspect in rails before.

Im moving back to a 3 bands in the rails and keeping them more boxy i think, must be more careful. If I let it get me down that would defeat the purpose of learning to shape, so will paint board, glass ( as it will be great pratice again) and set fcs, then sand the bugger and hand it over to my mark.

Will glass 6 bottom, 6 and 4 top, as dont want to make throw away board for my friend, so will be good feedback from mark on my glassing job as well. Could take another month as dont have much money to purchase resin and stuff, plus can only work on weekends and this weekend is a right off. Oh well

If anyone wants to see the shape on video you can find it on my facebook, remember I already know now after much soul searching its a right off and learning experience, heres the link.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php? ... 1805019833
Don't be too hasty Digger... you should see some of the rails on a couple of my EPS boards from the late 90's. I was chasing the same thing you were... trying to escape the more easy to shape boxy style for something edgey. Fark... I got that alright... one board was so sharp the last 8 inches were about 1/4" thick through the tail. It looked ridiculous... but somehow... it worked.

Other thing is glassing can really change the rail profile ( often not in a good way in my case :? ) and allow you to fine tune - especially double lapped rails with loads of filler. ;)

However... fcuk up the rocker in the EPS blank like I did with my last board, and you're pretty much screwed. Nuthin's gonna save it!

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:50 pm

my shaping is going to be held back for a while now, bloody doc said Im not allowed to lift anything heavier than a kettle :lol: :lol: :lol: Funny bugger he is. :D

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:30 am

sanding blocks and pads are much lighter than a kettle...was it an empty or full kettle ?

Scrot, you into that blank yet ?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:59 pm

mark, I was thinking the same thing mate :lol: :lol: But its the act of bending over just a touch to use the sanding patch for more than 2 minutes, Im going to do nothing that will risk a speedy recovery if I can get one, I will, then into my surfing and shaping I go. :wink:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:18 pm

thats smart mate....I am so into my shaping atm its a bit of a worry...I been thoroughly enjoyin it and doing plenty.......and yes, I didnt even make a smart ass comment about you bending over did you notice, quite proud of myself.... :roll: 8)

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Saltman, that looks nice!
Digger, hope you're feeling well soon mate! (MP, love the restraint)

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:51 pm

saltman thats awesome, could we get a rocker shot mate, it looks sweet.

Mark, well done mate. :lol:

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:38 pm

Nice job Saltman. The thickness foil looks sweet.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:49 pm

wow, great great job mate, cant wait for your second one

Scroty
regular

Post by Scroty » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:59 pm

pridmore wrote:sanding blocks and pads are much lighter than a kettle...was it an empty or full kettle ?

Scrot, you into that blank yet ?
I've been looking at it closely, even picked it up twice, but one of those times was to get at something under it. I'm trying to dismiss my fear of failure.
I've got some old aquarium flouros that should do for light when hung from the garadge beams. I've also got 3 weeks off and my 3rd kid on the way in Feb, so will use some of that time to get into it.

I've been thinking about this for about 6 months now, and have had the blank for 3.

You guys did say to take your time.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:22 pm

saltman, that dont matter mate, it seems you got the foil looking real good, this is more tricky than you think. I stuffed mp my foil on the last board but learnt so much with the small mistakes I made.

Now that yourve shaped a decent shape mate, try to find some snapped blanks or something like that, strip them of the glass and then glass em yourself for pratice, that way when you come to do your own glassing one day you wont be going into it blind. Just a thought mate if you are going to do some glassing for the full backyard experience.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:46 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:
diggerdickson wrote:
lighting, lighting, lighting, make a portable lighting stand for you side lights, two 4 foot lights making it 8 foot long with a good shelf above it to through out a good shadow, its a godsend mate. I also have one double fluro directly above the board as well.
This was one area I was going to skimp in too... Found these on ebay for the Sydney folks.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fluorescent- ... 43ac726397
thats almost overkill mate for overhead lighting, but for 10 bucks, good score. The side lights are easy to set up, got all my stuff from the tip shop. 2 poles, 2 u clamps, some heavy bits of wood to bolt the poles to, a 4 x4 10 foot long, cut down to 8 foot to attach side lights to. Bought the side lights at bunnings. All up not including side lights, 15 bucks. Just make sure the shelf you attach is decent and thick enough wood so it wont warp, that was my mistake and I have to replace the shelf when Im better with a thicker bit of wood, would you like me to post a pic make, I can send a photo to trev who could post it here if you would like.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:07 am

pics should be on my facebook of the set up for the side lights mate. If you ever go to swaylocks they have some fantastic ideas for portable side lights that just put mine to shame. The reason Im suggestion you look at that sight is that you mentioned that you have to pack it up and move it sort of. That in itself presents a whole different ball game mate, can easily be done, shouldnt cost to much either, the tip shop is the perfect place if your gonna build anything, it saves ya heaps mate. I encourage you to check sways and have a look at peoples different side light set ups, it will blow your mind away what some people have done and really give you inspiration for sure.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:09 am

Im really pissed off, the blank that ive sort of been dreaming over getting stuck into I reckon is not good quality. I was carefully picking it up from the tail top deck up just to look down the deck line again and the foam seperated from the stringer, like a tiny crack, it went for about 1 inch and a half.

Im a bit shattered that this happened as this is one of my favourite shapes and I have a lot of plans with this outline for experiments. Ive got 3 outlines Im amped over and this one is my fav because its different.

Any thoughts from shapers that this has happened to, I will ring huei when I can get off my arse to get to the phone but would also love to hear from you guys, should I keep going, complete the shape and glass her, or just put it up in mothballs, wrapped in plastic, and just pull her out for inspiration when I do another one.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Is it just the foam coming away from the stringer, like they just didn't have enough glue there? Just reglue it. Polyurethane glue, or even wood glue (PVA) will be ok.