Paint questions

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Morrie

Paint questions

Post by Morrie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Guys simple question, what paints can i use on my board. Its got some dings in it, but i've patched most of them up. I read somewhere that you have to use acrylic. And also i don't have a tone of money to spend on this, but i do have an air compressor and spray gun.
And also some advice about clear coating would be nice :)

Thank you :)
Last edited by Morrie on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Basic questions

Post by alakaboo » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:32 pm

Talk to Josh.
Might get more of a response if you put something to do with paint in the title.
You have to edit your own original post.

Morrie

Re: Basic questions

Post by Morrie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:35 pm

who's Josh?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: Paint questions

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:39 pm

a guy on here called speedneedle, go onto the shortboard thread as i dont see him posting in this section at all, I might be wrong but im not sure he even reads this section :wink: You will see his paint work, the guy is a master with paints and a spray gun, will blow your mind.

Hopefully he will give you some tips.

I dont have enough experience to give much advice yet as im still learning myself. but yes you do need to use acyrlic paints, and spray over with acyrlic clear so the paint dont bleed.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Skipper
Duke Status

Re: Paint questions

Post by Skipper » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:41 am

I did a few repairs on 'white' boards and used an auto body acrylic undercoat spray can.
Enamel does not go with resin.
You need to apply numerous coats, light fine sand between, and build up the layers. It's quick drying, so you can do several over an hour or so.

But then got onto using Q-cell, which essentially eliminates the need to spray, as it finishes 'white' or at least close enough to the colour of a 'white' board.
Haven't had to repair a coloured board yet, so i imagine when the time comes, i'll try pigment in the resin.

You can get a clear acrylic spray, in a can, from somewhere like Supercheap Auto's.

Keen to see what the pro (Josh) uses though.