channel pratice

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

pridmore
Owl status

Re: channel pratice

Post by pridmore » Thu May 19, 2011 3:49 pm

do em so deep you dont need fins.... :)

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu May 19, 2011 4:22 pm

It's a clinker? Didn't know about that name, yuck it doesn't deserve it, maybe klinger? nope no way cyaz, daz.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon May 23, 2011 10:27 pm

Completed my third crack at channels on a old blank, was better this time, threw away the aids and just used a file, surefoam and sheet of sandpaper and my eyes, tried to take rics advice and gave the edge of each channel more of a angle, cut in a pathetic swallow so I could just work of that, did not complete the rails or anything as only pratice. Feel Im very close now to having enough confidence to put those deep six clinkers into a board now. Only problem is I have to work out how to glass them when I cant even find time to do a hotcoat :oops:

Also what to do before them, Im thinking single concave, not deep, leading down and funnelling the water into the channels, although a shallow double would also feed the water beautifully, im trying to imagine at the moment the best way of the water travelling under the board to blast out the channels. Must sleep on this

Will post the pics after I give it a final sand next week to bring it up to where I would be happy spraying or glassing it.

Anyone who has a 6 channel board that wants to post their pics here, Im keen to see em, as I love the things, josh's board he has completed is bloody special.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Fri May 27, 2011 9:02 pm

diggerdickson wrote:Anyone who has a 6 channel board that wants to post their pics here, Im keen to see em, as I love the things, josh's board he has completed is bloody special.
This one's of my long-time favourites for around here, 5'11" x 19 3/4 swallow.

Channels are really hard... quite against RV's advice. Quite simply, one of those magic boards.

Could be in danger of hogging the thread though so that's enough pics for now. ;)
pocket_rocket_IV.jpg

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri May 27, 2011 10:20 pm

dUg wrote:
diggerdickson wrote:Anyone who has a 6 channel board that wants to post their pics here, Im keen to see em, as I love the things, josh's board he has completed is bloody special.

Channels are really hard... quite against RV's advice. Quite simply, one of those magic boards.

Could be in danger of hogging the thread though so that's enough pics for now. ;)
pocket_rocket_IV.jpg
Where's Surfin' when you need some lawn advice?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Fri May 27, 2011 10:28 pm

TrevG wrote:
dUg wrote:

pocket_rocket_IV.jpg
Where's Surfin' when you need some lawn advice?
Haha Trev, I recall Mr N'Turf chastised me over some similar photos taken in the back yard over that terrible summer. Lawn looked great at the end of this last summer... mainly because it just never happened. :shock:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri May 27, 2011 10:40 pm

haaaaaaaaaa, trev, classic, just looked back at that photo and noticed the lawn, surf and turf would have been all over that in a flash, with no mercy :lol:

Im now sitting back thinking about channels and cant get out of my head corrogated roofing, when it rains the water rushes down the corrogated roofing and into the gutter, if I used a rounded surfoam blade, I could possibly make 8 to 10 corrogations in a board, no sharp edges, sorta like a inverted S. Thinking thinking.

I have a mate who donated 2 old boards to me, one even has a set of speedfins which Ive always been interested in trying, will ride these boards once, then strip the glass, cut the corragations in, one with the inverted S channels and one with clinkers, let the experiments begin, you never know, it might really work, just like the roofing, or might might be shite, then back to normal clinkers I would go.mmmmm, thinking.

dug, I love that board, it looks a beauty, would be hard to let go of that one.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat May 28, 2011 12:21 am

diggerdickson wrote: thinking about channels and cant get out of my head corrogated roofing, .

one my first boards i glued sandpaper too a can fly spray....and cut em in with that :oops:

it went ok too :P

u just got get the volume right....like the way they start off shallow and get deeper

in my very , very limited expence...the depth of cut had match the planshape as it pulled in

channels are only half the battle...look at any good channel bottom

check out how the planshape works with them via flyers and such :idea:

than consider the rails...but lets not go there i'll have write a 10000000 words :mrgreen:

hard put in words :oops: but...they do work...big time....but its all got work together imo :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun May 29, 2011 6:33 pm

3rd attempt at channels, if Im super critical I reckon that the middle channels off the stringer are to angled, leaving to sharp an edge for glassing maybe. This time I felt that im starting to get them okay, can always improve. I photo them under the fluro so you can see the shadows, tried to take rics advice and give the channels better angles for glassing and softemed the leading edges slightly.

Any advice on how to improve please let me know, always striving to be better, enjoy the photos, if the weather is good tommorow I hope to finally hotcoat my boys board, enjoy the pics

AGIAN, DAN THANKS FOR THE RESIZE :D
Attachments
blue channels 6.jpg
blue channels 6.jpg (23.22 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
blue channels 5.jpg
blue channels 5.jpg (26.62 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
blue channels 4.jpg
blue channels 4.jpg (27.18 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
blue channels 3.jpg
blue channels 3.jpg (21.66 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
blue channels 2.jpg
blue channels 2.jpg (25.13 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
blue channels 1.jpg
blue channels 1.jpg (21.36 KiB) Viewed 4168 times

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Sun May 29, 2011 7:21 pm

Looking good Digger.

You have to work on the blending. They are starting a bit abruptly.

Think like a concave, with the channel starting from basically flat and slowly deepening. I also like to blend them out shallower as they get to the tail. Usually only the 1 closest to the rail exits a full depth. The next 1 exits at about half-full depth. And the middle 1's are all but blended back to flat.

If you have a tail with a decent amount of tail rocker, and big channels carved into it that stay deep, the board will have trouble accelerating/lifting. Not such a problem in big perfect down the line waves. But as a more all round board you still need a bit of "squeeze" thru the bottom.

Have you got 1 of the tubular surforms yet? They are about 12", and about the thickness/diameter of your little finger. They are perfect for doing the initial cutting in of the channel, easy to do the blending and making sure all your entry and exits are lined up right, before taking the mass out.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun May 29, 2011 8:38 pm

ahh, tiger, yes, the blending, Ive been working on that and have not yet quite got that right as you can see. Thanks for the tips mate and will work on that with the next pratice for sure.

I like the idea of thinking a bit like a concave for them and it gives my head a better understanding of how to start them, as that is the hard part and the part Im really having difficulty with the most.

Ive never thought of ending them like that as im thinking of just making the board for inside tea tree or perry, or perfect beach break barrells, no where else, so deep all the way at the moment as dont want it to be a allround board, lol, stuff that. But it would be a great thing to try as it can only help me get them better in the end.

ive got the file on order and should be able to pick it up thursday. im just using a really small round surefoam that tim gave me, not sure what its called but its doing the job although I know the half round surfoam will be much better.

Hopefully on my next attempt you will see some improvements at the start of them.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon May 30, 2011 5:27 pm

found another spot to cut some new channels on a snapped blank, measured out and 8 fit well, Im follwoing tims thoughts on channels and the first set finish before tail, ive concentrated on trying to blend them in better, will make the second set go all the way to the tail but fade out shallow, 3rd and 4th set will be deep all the way through, will see how it comes out.

Ive been thinking about how to glass the mothers, got a idea, please correct me if wrong, will use epoxy or just resin with catlyst, will measure out enough resign for middle channels only, wet out channel and make sure it sticks, let it set, then move onto next two channels and so on till all channels are laminated, dont want to do all channels in one hit, if I do it this way my thought is glass wont pull, therefore wont create air bubbles, should be easier this way, bit worried about how to tuck under the glass near the channels, but will think on this. Once all channels set and tuck under will then mix enough resign to do the top half of the board and tuck under the glass in one hit...

What are thoughts here.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Tue May 31, 2011 7:36 am

Digg's it sounds like the surform that Fong lent you is the 1 I'm referring to. A handy little tip is to squeeze a bit of 3mm MDF into the gap along the top to act as a handle.

As for the glassing, I just do it all in 1 go. But I had probably glassed 100+ boards before I did a channel bottom. The fiddly part is when you tuck the lap in the tail area and it wants to lift the glass that is in the internal corner of the channel. That and trying to get the glass to wrap neatly around the corners of where the channels exit the rail. Sounds like your method should be OK, so give it a go.

Be careful when you cut your glass, make sure the glass is sitting down in the channels. Otherwise you'll end up with really small laps in that area. Actuall with your method you can probably cut the laps after you"ve stuck the channels down.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:38 pm

I reckon you're going well. Can't wait to see you mow into a blank.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:30 pm

started cutting in 8 channels last week, I tried to end the middle channels early to free up the tail, I found the blending in of the channels at the start not to hard tiger, but to blend them out at the end not so easy, I think I have a trick in mind for the next attempt but its not such a easy task for a begginer, but all trial and error, better to make the errors on a pratice bit of foam rather than a blank I need to glass.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:41 pm

went down to my local boardshop and mentioned to them Im trying to pratice for building a channel board for myself, showed em a few pics and mentioned that im just hacking into any bits of foam I can find to try to get channels right, I then asked if they ever get given snapped boards that are unwanted and if I could take them off their hands :D

They were more than happy to help and after this week should be picking up a few snapped boards to strip and hack away at.

To say im wrapped is a understatement. Im getting so close now I can almost taste it, will try to move my glassing next time to my garden shed so no uv gets in their at all and use that to glass my boards, then dont need to worry about the resign starting to kick.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:02 pm

again dan, your a legend for resizing the photos for me mate, wish it was as easy as sways to post photos :wink:

Ive still got heaps to learn, absolutely heaps when it comes to cutting these things in. Ive managed to get more snapped boards from a local board maker who was more than happy to get rid of scrap bits of foam lying around, he knows exactly what Im doing with it and is cool with that, you gotta be straight up and honest with people I reckon.

Im lucky as this guy even lets me come around and watch him when he is not to busy or rushing late at night as he likes the company anyway, top bloke and Im learning heaps on glassing and hotcoats, cant wait to watch him shape..............

Im really not happy with this result, not good enough yet so I will keep trying, soon, soon I will get there, all good things come to those who wait.

enjoy the photos all
Attachments
8 of the best.jpg
8 of the best.jpg (7.82 KiB) Viewed 3974 times
8 channels 3.jpg
8 channels 3.jpg (8.14 KiB) Viewed 3974 times
8 channels 2.jpg
8 channels 2.jpg (7.04 KiB) Viewed 3974 times
8 channels.jpg
8 channels.jpg (7.67 KiB) Viewed 3974 times

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:05 pm

next attempt I will stagger them probably, havent done that yet. :D