channel pratice

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: channel pratice

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:16 pm

ive gone back into the shed many times to relook at the board with 8 and I get more dispondent every time I look at them, I think I overshaped them, tried to hard to get it perfect instead of letting it be if that makes sence, some I over sanded so its not the same all the way down the channel, others are good. One thing I know, nothing that is easy has that much reward.

I knew channels were a bit difficult, but bloody hell I would love to watch someone shape these things, what possed col smith and jim pollard in the first bloody place to think of these things, and lets not even think where the inspiration came from for jet channels, earl is just a freak. :lol:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:06 am

chin up digger, i'm sure they aren't as bad as you think.
remember what ric said, water isn't that smart.
At least you aren't trying something like this..
http://www.surf1770noosa.com/surfboard_gallery.php

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:59 am

Hey guys, its been a while since I posted in this section, but late december I might get the chance to shape myself a keeper, thinking of going a round tail, 6'4, bit of a step up board, fin setup will be 2+1 and maybe putting channels in it, for the cyclone season. Thinking of a very shallow single running through and then adding the channels. I will have glassed a few boards by then, like only 7 :oops: , Im glassing my 3rd now, so will probably only do 4 channels to start with, as long as it fits the tail shape and fin placement.

My question is, has anyone out there ridden a 2+1 with channels, cant see why it wouldnt absolutely crank in down the line waves, got me salavating thinking about it.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:33 am

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... =1&theater

lovers of channels, feast your eyes on this and enjoy

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:36 am

not quite sure why he didnt stagger the channels avioding a weak spot in the board for snapping, im sure there is a reason, the channels are only half a inch deep but I reckon it may cause a weak spot, I might be talking out my backside too :lol: Anyone with knowledge may be able to give a opinion on why they are not staggered, or wether you should stagger channels would be appreciated

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:11 pm

diggerdickson wrote:not quite sure why he didnt stagger the channels avioding a weak spot in the board for snapping, im sure there is a reason, the channels are only half a inch deep but I reckon it may cause a weak spot, I might be talking out my backside too :lol: Anyone with knowledge may be able to give a opinion on why they are not staggered, or wether you should stagger channels would be appreciated

anyone know this answer, anyone :shock:

Ive cut in some more channels recently on a spare bit of foam and these came out better, what I learnt from this set is that I need to cut off the handle on the round sureform blade I have, plus I would love to get one with a smaller diameter than what I have, its about half a centimeter, if I can get smaller that would be good.

I used two methods of blending in the channels at the beginning, one was a abject failure, another a success, but before I harp on about it I want to try again just in case it was a fluke, and I must make some adjustments to the tool I have. Im nearly there, a bit more pratice yet.

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:29 pm

digga can you post some pix please, very interested to see the evolution. PS: how's your back, jack?
Happiness is wanting everything you have.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:20 pm

my back is no good mate, I still cant shape or surf, I hope to be back at work mid april in part time manner but dont know, will be seeing surgeon on the 11 th april to hopefully get some good news.

I posted a link to the 8 channel board a few links back mate, it looks so interesting, as for my work on the latest channel, I was a bit weak at the time so the channel is wonky, not straight due to weak wrists and lack of control and muscle strength at the time, but the main purpose of those channels was working on the blending of the channel at the very beginning, before I get excited and post pics I have to do it agian to prove to myself it aint a fluke. I have been working on channels for a long time as you can see on how old this thread is, im getting closer each time. Ive got a fully shaped blank that I have run the rail aspect to low in experimenting, with the rail I had a piture in my mind I was searching for and just missed it, so I aint going to glass her, just have the ready blank lying around for inspiration to keep working hard, I might cut channels into that one for fun (using the new method of blending im working on) but the tail might be to thin to do it. Im now looking for some spare foam to do the next channel set basically. But im to weak to peel fiberglass of some of the snapped things I have under my house :(

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:21 pm

my back is no good mate, I still cant shape or surf, I hope to be back at work mid april in part time manner but dont know, will be seeing surgeon on the 11 th april to hopefully get some good news.

I posted a link to the 8 channel board a few links back mate, it looks so interesting, as for my work on the latest channel, I was a bit weak at the time so the channel is wonky, not straight due to weak wrists and lack of control and muscle strength at the time, but the main purpose of those channels was working on the blending of the channel at the very beginning, before I get excited and post pics I have to do it agian to prove to myself it aint a fluke. I have been working on channels for a long time as you can see on how old this thread is, im getting closer each time. Ive got a fully shaped blank that I have run the rail aspect to low in experimenting, with the rail I had a piture in my mind I was searching for and just missed it, so I aint going to glass her, just have the ready blank lying around for inspiration to keep working hard, I might cut channels into that one for fun (using the new method of blending im working on) but the tail might be to thin to do it. Im now looking for some spare foam to do the next channel set basically. But im to weak to peel fiberglass of some of the snapped things I have under my house :(