New blank

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

diggerdickson
barnacle

New blank

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:52 am

got myself a new blank, mate saw a guy throwing it out in a skip on the northern beaches, he was in brisbane this week and dropped it off for me, so Ive got plans for it. Will post pics when I start working on it (thats if theres any left on realsurf to look at em) and will glass it the same time as my sons board.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

pridmore
Owl status

Re: New blank

Post by pridmore » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:46 am

keep shaping, keep posting...... 8)

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:20 pm

What are ya plans? What are you going to turn to it into?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:12 pm

Im aiming at a 6'7 rounded pin, quad, will study up on mckees site for fin placement ideas and try to learn something there. Basic bottom with single concave leading into fins then possibly looking at v in tail, dont know about the vee though. Mate is going to png in a month and making him board so I can get some good feedback espically if its hollow, he is a big lad

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:17 pm

Nice. When I first started reading your post I thought you were making a gun... until I read the last line.
Can't wait to see it. Where in PNG is he headed?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:43 am

not sure where in png he is headed, all i know is the bastard is on a boat for two weeks, hopefully he will camp on ledges local :twisted: Tonight Im going to do some measurements on the blank, thickness, rocker ect...... once Ive got all the measurements after cutting one inch of nose and tail will then see what i can do. Have to take into account thickness so I can see what sort of rocker i can get out of the blank, will then take photo of blank, transpose onto paint on the computer and do some lines to give me a better view of the rocker. Might not get what i want but will make do.

Will definately have more of a clue on what the blank can produce a little later. Normally I would say any shaper would just bin this blank but it will be great experience with the planner for me and good pratice at visualising what I can make. I will talk closely with my teacher on this one and explain my ideas and see how close to the mark I am on what I think this blank can produce.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:39 pm

After all my measurements and trying to visulize what sort of board can come out of the blank im now thinking 6'4 rounded pin, the blank is nice and thick so im looking at carrying the thickness to the rails in a flat deck I hope.

Im really excited about this one, got a weird paint job planned for it, will be going to png on a boat trip. I might even get video coverage of it and will get real good ride reports on it. I hope it gets back in one piece so I can ride it and compare it to my more quad.

I already have 4 orders lined up, 3 for small eggs just like my boys for a few kids and a school raffle, one for a mate, might even see if I can con my missus into letting me get a blank for myself to make a sled for good old me.... :D

Im gonna be a busy boy over the next six months and I just cant wait to hook in. I cant wait to glass, in fact im so excited I feel like a little kid in a candy shop, no room for depression for me. Life is looking up I tell ya :D

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:13 am

How about something with dims/design like this

http://www.cisurfboards.com/sb_blackbeauty.asp

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:40 pm

Davros, Im thinking something very very similar, aiming at mowiing it down tommorow as much as I can, a long day ahead of me for sure. :D

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:47 pm

Sweet

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:04 pm

Okay, thiings seem to happen for me now. Im hoping to get this blank shaped by next monday, so am going to go at it. I am glassing my sons board next monday, Im hoping to score old carpet from next door to hang form my carport to block out the uv lights, got all the glass and resign, have finally decided to book a time to just do it, will glass my sons board in just 4 oz glass and im going to glass on his fin as well, want to master this skill or at least have a crack at it, ,call me old fashioned but I prefer glass on fins. oh yeh, looking forward to the weeks work ahead, every night I will be working on it, if I can get all of the sanding completed with the power planner then do rest by hand. One thing though is I must not rush to muchl.

Most important factors is that ive got the beer ready tommorow and its cold :D

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:20 pm

onya diggs, good to hear you got your stoke back.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:07 am

Great stuff digger, post some pics mate, we all love to see pics!!

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:57 am

things slowed, havent got the template made because of kids commitments, have to get it perfect, jee have I mentioned im a perfectionists. I will be taking picks as i glass my sons board on monday :D

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:11 am

got the template made, beautiful shape, wont be finished for mate so slowed down to just fully enjoy it, drew out the shape on board then started cutting it out. I cut out the shape with a jig saw leaving plenty of room, about 5 ml to hand sand down to line with block and paper as I enjoy watching the shape come out with the hand sanding :roll:

Only had 9 cms to go up near the nose and I bloody sneezed :lol: :lol: :lol: Jigsaw took a right hand turn and passed the line and stuffed up the shape. :lol: :lol:

Im gonna have to redraw the shape near the nose, wanna keep the length but dont know if I will be able to, on the backburner till Ive finished my boys board but Im still laughing over the mistake. Imagine if that happened with a good blank that cost me money. I wouldnt be laughing then, think I might buy a sharp handsaw to cut out the blanks from now on

Question I got guys, who uses what to cut out their templates once you draw it onto your blank

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:53 pm

the more I think about it, some wise man once told me to use a handsaw, think I might take that advice after the sneezing mistake :oops:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:24 am

Hey digger, i turned my 6' fish into a 5'8'' egg due to a planer mishap. Don't worry it'll turn out fine!.

I just use a handsaw. Thinking of using a router though, might be less finishing off. I always spend a while trueing up the outline after hand sawing. Not game to clean it up with the planer yet!.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:24 am

Beerfan wrote:Hey digger, i turned my 6' fish into a 5'8'' egg due to a planer mishap. Don't worry it'll turn out fine!.

I just use a handsaw. Thinking of using a router though, might be less finishing off. I always spend a while trueing up the outline after hand sawing. Not game to clean it up with the planer yet!.

Hey beer fan, Im going to start using a handsaw. Neither am I game to use a planer yet to clean up to outling. I like the handsanding part anyway, find it relaxing mate