ncfb3

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

pridmore
Owl status

ncfb3

Post by pridmore » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:31 am

3rd one, shape has eveolved into a hp semi-fish with deep double, he wanted more liveliness and performance, taking the shape to new place which is great, the feedback will be good, slowly eveolving from shape to shape with all mods coming from good feedback from good surfer who knows his stuff, was great to surf with him and discuss boards, this was influenced by a crazy deep MC he was really frothin over....hasnt riden it yet, picks it up when up for Quikky Pro....
5'8" x 19 7/8" x 2 1/4" 2 x 4 oz deck, 1 x 4 bot, surfblanks foam, he has his own set of fins we did for his earlier FB, hand foils of an old AB template....
no massive breakthrough here, just sharing the process that has happened and will post the feedback soon as I have some, good or bad.... 8)

some will say I'm posting here as an advert for my shapes, well I say, I dont give a flying s..t coz I am just sharing board pics and info with like minded people coz I wanna...and some people actually like checkin out different boards and it is a forum about board design isnt it ???? :roll: :?:

www.moresurfboards.com

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: ncfb3

Post by alakaboo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:06 am

while I have no illusions that NC and I are going to enjoy similar boards, I am more than happy to see you keep posting pics and details.
Starting to look more and more like a 70s single outline.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:18 pm

gues thre's a bit of old school single in the planshape but sure as hell dont ride like one.....yeah mate, I'll keep throwing up pics and stuff..... 8)

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:30 pm

Really interesting to see the evolution of the design with NC's input - any chance you could post a pic of the other two to see the changes?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:01 pm

not the best pic...5'10" x 20 1/2" x 2 3/8" original fin placement...NC liked this one but he wanted some extra response and manouverability while still maintaining the glidey feel....

Image one on the right
Image I liked this one more than Nick did I think, he said it felt dull and he wanted more performance ...I kept the width in the planshape and increased the tail curves as well as adjusting fin placement after Nicks feedback and thoughts... dims were 5'9" x 20 1/4" x 2 3/8"
I really enjoyed this one especially on my backhand, it would really drive off the bottom and hook tight in the lip or of the top for me...but it wasnt getting Nick stoked so we had to make changes...even if it went sweet for me...

and then the newy as in pics at top of thread...the newy is more foiled out, less volume right in nose and tail, as well as decreased overall area in planshape, tails pulled in quite a bit, double is deep , nearly 1/4" and the stringer has been left higher than rails to create a vee type peak ( similar to the first one I did for NC which he explained he liked the way it felt , this one is much deeper though ).,
rails were kept very hard and boxy in the tail, rail has well tucked edge and edge is carried quite a fair way forward, almost to centre where the rails slowly soften up but still a rolled edge to the wide point, then the are very round and forgiving to the nose...flat nose entry that very gradually blends into a single to WP where a shallow double starts, then it gets serious just in front of the fins and runs deeply thru the fins then flattens out just before the tail, deep curvey bat tail ....hope he likes it, I wanna ride it and plan to if I get the chance..... 8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:15 pm

this is a pic of NC's fb 2 just before I sold it... it was in the wagon all the time for about 1 month, if it was head high it got a run especially on rights, but the tiny stuff, I was on the weird and wonderful thing in the pic.... 8)

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:26 pm

Wow, very cool to see the variation over time. The difference between the first NC Bat and the last one is huge. The changes made from the feedback are so specific, sure makes a difference to what most people feedback to their shapers.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Have one for sale , exactly the same as Niks newy but 2 1/8" thick, be sweet for someone around 60-68 kgs..its super light, glassed in epoxy, 2 x 4 deck, 1 x 4 bottom, was made for Nick but was too refined....dims are 5'8" x 19 7/8" x 2 1/8",
Future fins, .....bargain price..sorry to do the sales thing ....no shop anymore or it'd be gone....
I wish it was 2 1/2" and I would wax it up myself..... :)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:23 am

NC has picked up the FB and prob surfing around the Goldy somewhere...he had definite ideas about the fins he wanted to put in it as soon as he saw it ( will post more when I know )...
he's gunna give me detailed feedback after several sessions and I'll share then.... still got the other one for sale, great sled and suit someone about 65 kgs'......

www.moresurfboards.com

old grom
Grommet

Post by old grom » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi Mark following this with interest -

it seems to the untrained eye that this FB design is moving towards a Quadfather shape with a different tail?

Also how big do you think a FB style can get and still work (for guys 95-100KG); and how big can the quadfather get and stay true to purpose.

Or would these designs need to morph into something else for big guys. Sometimes wish more shapers were 90 - 100kg's - you all seem top be small buggers (75 kg ish). That and the slight weight and youth of pro's etc - seems to limit inovation for bigger guys - or maybe I am being paranoid :shock :?

Also I for one really enjoy you passion and posts - and dont really care if you sell boards as well. Lucky we have a few shapers that contribute to this forum - wish more took the time - Cheers OG

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:42 pm

thanks OG...they may seem similar but many diffrences actually..FB has wide point in front of centre and QF has it behind centre as well as many other differences...but in saying that, I customise every board to suit the surfer so one FB is very rarely the same as another....rockers, concaves, all dims are all considered, I have to do it this way to make sure I make it the best board I can coz you gotta make em go well to keep in this game, plenty of competition ...re the big boards, all can be made to suit bigger guys, I actually make quite alot of high volume boards, people come to me for that reason, coz I keep some foam in my boards and its probably coz of the waves I ride alot and the boards I ride, like to get plenty of waves and dont find a little foam a negative, the opposite actually if distributed correctly....I have made FB's up to 7'6" and QF's up to 7'8" and enjoy the challenges involved in working with surfers of all shapes and sizes....just finished a 5'2" x 17" x 1 7/8" so the variety is there and it keeps it fresh....
8)

www.moresurfboards.com